I taught in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
    I am going to ride on the coattails of DNF here. I also have to teach in a few weeks and was asked to teach on ordinances and to consecrate some oil for the group. Any way to make this interesting?
    Wear something like this to church that day:

"What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      You should probably start with Parrell's "Happy". Have it queued up and go out into the hall. Have the EQP press play and make your entrance. That would really set the tone for a great lesson, IMO.
      The Kooks would be better.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I am going to ride on the coattails of DNF here. I also have to teach in a few weeks and was asked to teach on ordinances and to consecrate some oil for the group. Any way to make this interesting?
        When you pronounce the blessing, bless the container, not the oil, and then see if anyone corrects you.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          When you pronounce the blessing, bless the container, not the oil, and then see if anyone corrects you.
          Or use anything less than 100% olive oil.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

Disco ball, colored lights, play "The Final Countdown" leading up to consecrating the oil?
            If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
              Disco ball, colored lights, play "The Final Countdown" leading up to consecrating the oil?
              We do meet on the stage, so I could have the lights down low with a spot light or two on me.
              "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                Great, then think of all the sick people that won't be cured.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

• I taught priesthood last week. The topic was the sacrament, and as part of my lesson, I printed out a bunch of different symbols that have meaning for us today. Of course, it was when I was holding up a swastika in front of the class that one of the women in the ward came in to get some books she'd left on a chair. Timing is everything.

I was going to share the picture of my wife's cousin (Derik Stevenson) flipping off the camera in the Ute locker room that he'd just posted the day before (it's a symbol) but I chickened out. Plus, it would have been hard for the class to see on my phone.
                  If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                    I taught priesthood last week. The topic was the sacrament, and as part of my lesson, I printed out a bunch of different symbols that have meaning for us today. Of course, it was when I was holding up a swastika in front of the class that one of the women in the ward came in to get some books she'd left on a chair. Timing is everything.

I was going to share the picture of my wife's cousin (Derik Stevenson) flipping off the camera in the Ute locker room that he'd just posted the day before (it's a symbol) but I chickened out. Plus, it would have been hard for the class to see on my phone.
                    That's exactly what the guy in my Elder's Quorum taught. Weird. Wonder if you are in my ward?

Comment

• I hate it when conference talk titles are misleading. I'm teaching EQ on Sunday and my assigned reference talk is Elder Ballard's talk from October. The title is "Put Your Trust in the Lord." Okay, there's some interesting things I can do with that given some recent history. Subtitle: "Become engaged in doing what you can in sharing the great message of the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ." Another member missionary lesson.
                      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                        I hate it when conference talk titles are misleading. I'm teaching EQ on Sunday and my assigned reference talk is Elder Ballard's talk from October. The title is "Put Your Trust in the Lord." Okay, there's some interesting things I can do with that given some recent history. Subtitle: "Become engaged in doing what you can in sharing the great message of the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ." Another member missionary lesson.
                        Very frustrating.

Comment

• You know your lesson is in trouble when the material dedicates a whole paragraph admitting to the fact that most members tend to roll their eyes or tune out discussions about missionary work.

Comment

• We had a reference to "Klingon" Skousen today. I kept asking myself if I misheard that, but my wife confirmed that I didn't.
                            Not that, sickos.

Comment

• After all the whining, the lesson actually turned out pretty well with above average participation and head nods.

Comment

• I'Ve been asked to teach EQ tomorrow. The lesson is on being good teachers. I need some good teaching anecdotes. Ready, go!

Comment

Working...
                                X