Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: I taught in church today

Trivia about church bureaucracy? Yikes, I would head to the gospel essentials class for sure. sjbh.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Trivia about church bureaucracy? Yikes, I would head to the gospel essentials class for sure. sjbh.
    I said the same thing, but with greater kindness.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Men vs women in a contest about church leadership?? Doesn't seem like a very fair fight, the women are mostly ill equipped to answer these.

even katylieds contest questions don't even bother to throw in at least a token question about female leaders. Maybe mix in something like "what is Sherri dew's favorite scarf color?" or "let's be honest, what in the world does the general primary presidency actually do?" Stuff like that.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Yup the only Church Leadership trivia that would hold my attention would be one that includes detailed questions about George P. Lee, Richard Lyman, Paul Dunn, etc.

I spoke in church today about love and kindness. I opened with a reference to today's Hindu festival Raksha Bandhan. It actually fit quite nicely with my theme.
    I don't like Congress. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their House, I hate their Senate, I hate everything.... I think the whole Congress, their Senate and their House, is classless. They threw beer on my family and stuff last year, and they did a whole bunch of nasty things, and I don't respect them, and they deserve to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Yup the only Church Leadership trivia that would hold my attention would be one that includes detailed questions about George P. Lee, Richard Lyman, Paul Dunn, etc.
    Or possibly Porter Rockwell, Eliza R. Snow, and a unicycle.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Or possibly Porter Rockwell, Eliza R. Snow, and a unicycle.
    but enough about brigham young's sexual fantasies
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Results of Trivia Challenge:

Women killed it. And in doing so, displayed the disparity between female and male roles in the church, for the women knew all the priesthood and organizational answers as well as identified the photos of female leaders, while the men only knew the priesthood questions, but could identify no female leaders.

(There were 50 total questions, a lot of photo identification, etc.)

PAC would have made a good showing and even identified Mormon Helping Hands without the photo, although I don't know how he would have done with the photo ids. He did miss this trick question:

Now that Boyd K Packer has passed away, which apostle has the most seniority?
    The answer is, of course, the apostle that had the most seniority prior to Boyd K Packer's death.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 08-31-2015 at 10:01 AM.

haha you didn't ask any female leader questions, knock it off.

See, in DDD's class he wouldn't have even bothered.

DDD in sunday school. That's a funny thought.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

DDD in sunday school. That's a funny thought.
    wow, don't hurt yourself climbing down off the Rameumptom!

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    wow, don't hurt yourself climbing down off the Rameumptom!
    We were all thinking it. I hope there are stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    We were all thinking it. I hope there are stairs.
    Escalator. First class all the way, baby.

Escalator. First class all the way, baby.

Taught lesson 17 in the ETB manual about the law of chastity. I used an analogy to marathon training that may or may not have given some of the elders the impression that they need to build up their exposure to sexual immorality.

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
    Taught lesson 17 in the ETB manual about the law of chastity. I used an analogy to marathon training that may or may not have given some of the elders the impression that they need to build up their exposure to sexual immorality.
    All for research purposes of course.

We had the much-maligned but rarely actually seen lesson where the guy reads straight from the manual. Of course, I've had lessons that were 50 to 75% read straight from the manual, but this lesson was 100% read straight from the manual. When we finished 15 minutes early because there was virtually no discussion, the instructor said "well, that's the end of the lesson" and sat down.
    Last edited by falafel; 09-13-2015 at 07:40 PM.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    We had the much-maligned but rarely actually seen lesson where the guy reads straight from the manual. Of course, I've had lessons that were 50 to 75% read straight from the manual, but this lesson was 100% read straight from the manual. When we finished 15 minutes early because there was virtually no discussion, the instructor said "well, that's the end of the lesson" and sat down.
    one old standard that I haven't seen in years is breaking up the class into groups for whatever reason (discuss a scripture, "brainstorm," etc) and then having one person report back to the entire class while the teacher compiles some sort of list of responses on the chalk board.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    one old standard that I haven't seen in years is breaking up the class into groups for whatever reason (discuss a scripture, "brainstorm," etc) and then having one person report back to the entire class while the teacher compiles some sort of list of responses on the chalk board.
    I hate that so much.

I hate that so much.
    I will write that on the chalkboard. Thanks, great answer.

Hey that's what I did today. We reviewed the list of spiritual gifts Paul gave in his letter to the Corinthians. Then I gave half the class Moroni 10 and half the class D&C 46, and had them list the spiritual gifts listed by Moroni and Joseph Smith. Same gifts!

it was a shoddy lesson but I allow myself 2 of those per year. I prepared it during the football game. Finally found a use for those TV timeouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Hey that's what I did today. We reviewed the list of spiritual gifts Paul gave in his letter to the Corinthians. Then I gave half the class Moroni 10 and half the class D&C 46, and had them list the spiritual gifts listed by Moroni and Joseph Smith. Same gifts!

it was a shoddy lesson but I allow myself 2 of those per year. I prepared it during the football game. Finally found a use for those TV timeouts.
    So with today and your prior sexist trivia lesson, sounds like you are out of exemptions for 2015!