No announcement yet.

I taught in church today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taught lesson 17 in the ETB manual about the law of chastity. I used an analogy to marathon training that may or may not have given some of the elders the impression that they need to build up their exposure to sexual immorality.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
      Taught lesson 17 in the ETB manual about the law of chastity. I used an analogy to marathon training that may or may not have given some of the elders the impression that they need to build up their exposure to sexual immorality.
      All for research purposes of course.

Comment

• We had the much-maligned but rarely actually seen lesson where the guy reads straight from the manual. Of course, I've had lessons that were 50 to 75% read straight from the manual, but this lesson was 100% read straight from the manual. When we finished 15 minutes early because there was virtually no discussion, the instructor said "well, that's the end of the lesson" and sat down.
        Last edited by falafel; 09-13-2015, 07:40 PM.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
          We had the much-maligned but rarely actually seen lesson where the guy reads straight from the manual. Of course, I've had lessons that were 50 to 75% read straight from the manual, but this lesson was 100% read straight from the manual. When we finished 15 minutes early because there was virtually no discussion, the instructor said "well, that's the end of the lesson" and sat down.
          one old standard that I haven't seen in years is breaking up the class into groups for whatever reason (discuss a scripture, "brainstorm," etc) and then having one person report back to the entire class while the teacher compiles some sort of list of responses on the chalk board.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            one old standard that I haven't seen in years is breaking up the class into groups for whatever reason (discuss a scripture, "brainstorm," etc) and then having one person report back to the entire class while the teacher compiles some sort of list of responses on the chalk board.
            I hate that so much.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              I hate that so much.
              I will write that on the chalkboard. Thanks, great answer.

sigpic

Comment

• Hey that's what I did today. We reviewed the list of spiritual gifts Paul gave in his letter to the Corinthians. Then I gave half the class Moroni 10 and half the class D&C 46, and had them list the spiritual gifts listed by Moroni and Joseph Smith. Same gifts!

it was a shoddy lesson but I allow myself 2 of those per year. I prepared it during the football game. Finally found a use for those TV timeouts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  Hey that's what I did today. We reviewed the list of spiritual gifts Paul gave in his letter to the Corinthians. Then I gave half the class Moroni 10 and half the class D&C 46, and had them list the spiritual gifts listed by Moroni and Joseph Smith. Same gifts!

it was a shoddy lesson but I allow myself 2 of those per year. I prepared it during the football game. Finally found a use for those TV timeouts.
                  So with today and your prior sexist trivia lesson, sounds like you are out of exemptions for 2015!

sigpic

Comment

• I was left with 2 minutes to speak on missionary work by example. I said good people do good things and great people inspire others to do good things. Then I told of a great man I knew. He was my neighbor, and everyone knew he m and that he wasn't a member. I said "when he leaned on the gate and lit a cigarette, I knew it was time for me to listen." He was one of the hardest working people I knew, had a treasure trove of wisdom, and never wavered in doing what he though was right.

I loved the irony of using him as a missionary example, but my point was that missionary work is easy if you live your life such that others want to emulate you. I was surprised at how many compliments I got on a 2 minute talk, but I think mostly people were just shocked that I got them out on time.
                    sigpic
                    "Outlined against a blue, gray
                    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• I taught the 10 & 11 year old boys yesterday. The lesson was on the people of Limhi and the people of Alma both escaping bondage. Naturally, out of like 4 verses in the scripture that contain the phrase "dumb ass," this lesson covered both, and the boys got to read them. We actually read snippets of the account from the scriptures (in between loading up one boy with another to simulate the burdens), and when we talked about Amulon getting put in a position of authority over Alma, I got to work in a comparison with Finn and Stormtrooper TR-8R. One of the boys wanted to know why the people of Alma were in slavery when they were righteous, and we have a good discussion about the promise of the Lord to be with his people in their afflictions. I don't ever want to go back to EQ lessons from the ToTP manual.

Comment

• Church to release a new teaching manual called, Teaching the Savior's Way, which after the Mormon Woman Stand post, I'm not sure what the hell that even means anymore. The biggest development from this is a teacher council meeting to be held monthly for ALL Sunday School teachers. The meeting is to be held during the three hour block. Which makes me wonder who will be covering classes 25% of the time. It wouldn't surprise me if the teachers are responsible for finding a substitute for their class during each training meeting.
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                          Church to release a new teaching manual called, Teaching the Savior's Way, which after the Mormon Woman Stand post, I'm not sure what the hell that even means anymore. The biggest development from this is a teacher council meeting to be held monthly for ALL Sunday School teachers. The meeting is to be held during the three hour block. Which makes me wonder who will be covering classes 25% of the time. It wouldn't surprise me if the teachers are responsible for finding a substitute for their class during each training meeting.
                          My stake is starting this for Primary teachers as well and will be done during sharing time. My guess is that Sunday School Teacher meeting will be held during Priesthood/RS. You might suggest it be held more than once-a-month if it means missing Priesthood meeting.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                            Church to release a new teaching manual called, Teaching the Savior's Way, which after the Mormon Woman Stand post, I'm not sure what the hell that even means anymore. The biggest development from this is a teacher council meeting to be held monthly for ALL Sunday School teachers. The meeting is to be held during the three hour block. Which makes me wonder who will be covering classes 25% of the time. It wouldn't surprise me if the teachers are responsible for finding a substitute for their class during each training meeting.
                            So does this mean that the sunday school president will no longer be the cush-do-nothing calling, but that he (women need not apply) will have to do more than ring a bell?
                            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                              So does this mean that the sunday school president will no longer be the cush-do-nothing calling, but that he (women need not apply) will have to do more than ring a bell?
                              Yes. He will have to call another teacher to teach the teachers.
                              I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• https://www.lds.org/manual/teaching-...tings?lang=eng

Sunday School teachers meet during priesthood quorum, Relief Society, and Young Women meetings.

Priesthood quorum, Relief Society, and Young Women teachers meet during Sunday School.

Primary teachers attend either of the meetings described above, as directed by the Primary president. (Note: As needed, the Primary presidency assigns substitute teachers, combines classes, or makes other arrangements to allow Primary teachers to attend teacher council meetings.)
                                This is going to be a cluster.

Comment

Working...
                                X