Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 361 to 374 of 374

Thread: I taught in church today

  1. #361
    Feels So Good Joe Public's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    2,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I am going to ride on the coattails of DNF here. I also have to teach in a few weeks and was asked to teach on ordinances and to consecrate some oil for the group. Any way to make this interesting?
    Wear something like this to church that day:

    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

    .........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

  2. #362
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    51,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    You should probably start with Parrell's "Happy". Have it queued up and go out into the hall. Have the EQP press play and make your entrance. That would really set the tone for a great lesson, IMO.
    The Kooks would be better.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  3. #363
    sweet triple TripletDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    51,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I am going to ride on the coattails of DNF here. I also have to teach in a few weeks and was asked to teach on ordinances and to consecrate some oil for the group. Any way to make this interesting?
    When you pronounce the blessing, bless the container, not the oil, and then see if anyone corrects you.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.


  4. #364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    When you pronounce the blessing, bless the container, not the oil, and then see if anyone corrects you.
    Or use anything less than 100% olive oil.

  5. #365
    I like to dance! SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    4,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I am going to ride on the coattails of DNF here. I also have to teach in a few weeks and was asked to teach on ordinances and to consecrate some oil for the group. Any way to make this interesting?
    Disco ball, colored lights, play "The Final Countdown" leading up to consecrating the oil?
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  6. #366
    a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    Disco ball, colored lights, play "The Final Countdown" leading up to consecrating the oil?
    We do meet on the stage, so I could have the lights down low with a spot light or two on me.
    The Mormon Creed: Mind Your Own Business

  7. #367
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    20,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    When you pronounce the blessing, bless the container, not the oil, and then see if anyone corrects you.
    Great, then think of all the sick people that won't be cured.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  8. #368
    I like to dance! SoCalCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    4,906

    Default

    I taught priesthood last week. The topic was the sacrament, and as part of my lesson, I printed out a bunch of different symbols that have meaning for us today. Of course, it was when I was holding up a swastika in front of the class that one of the women in the ward came in to get some books she'd left on a chair. Timing is everything.

    I was going to share the picture of my wife's cousin (Derik Stevenson) flipping off the camera in the Ute locker room that he'd just posted the day before (it's a symbol) but I chickened out. Plus, it would have been hard for the class to see on my phone.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

  9. #369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    I taught priesthood last week. The topic was the sacrament, and as part of my lesson, I printed out a bunch of different symbols that have meaning for us today. Of course, it was when I was holding up a swastika in front of the class that one of the women in the ward came in to get some books she'd left on a chair. Timing is everything.

    I was going to share the picture of my wife's cousin (Derik Stevenson) flipping off the camera in the Ute locker room that he'd just posted the day before (it's a symbol) but I chickened out. Plus, it would have been hard for the class to see on my phone.
    That's exactly what the guy in my Elder's Quorum taught. Weird. Wonder if you are in my ward?

  10. #370
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,925

    Default

    I hate it when conference talk titles are misleading. I'm teaching EQ on Sunday and my assigned reference talk is Elder Ballard's talk from October. The title is "Put Your Trust in the Lord." Okay, there's some interesting things I can do with that given some recent history. Subtitle: "Become engaged in doing what you can in sharing the great message of the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ." Another member missionary lesson.

  11. #371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    I hate it when conference talk titles are misleading. I'm teaching EQ on Sunday and my assigned reference talk is Elder Ballard's talk from October. The title is "Put Your Trust in the Lord." Okay, there's some interesting things I can do with that given some recent history. Subtitle: "Become engaged in doing what you can in sharing the great message of the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ." Another member missionary lesson.
    Very frustrating.

  12. #372
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,925

    Default

    You know your lesson is in trouble when the material dedicates a whole paragraph admitting to the fact that most members tend to roll their eyes or tune out discussions about missionary work.

  13. #373
    aka Benito Hazard thesaint258's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    My castle!
    Posts
    2,504

    Default

    We had a reference to "Klingon" Skousen today. I kept asking myself if I misheard that, but my wife confirmed that I didn't.
    "We are all know stupider...I award you no points"

  14. #374
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,925

    Default

    After all the whining, the lesson actually turned out pretty well with above average participation and head nods.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •