Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I taught in church today

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hey KL, just yesterday I was reading a chapter in Robin Meyer's book "Saving Jesus from the Church" where he discussed this very scripture. He said that it is completely inconsistent with the rest of Jesus's message: being a true disciple is hard work. Some excerpts:

This is just the intro to the chapter, but you get the picture. Interesting stuff.
    I was thinking about this scripture after last weeks Sunday school lesson (the boring meeting in the middle, in case triplet doesn't remember what this is). I think perhaps we misread it. Taking up a yoke is not easy. It is hard. Oxen are only yoked so they can work. I think his point might have been we are yoked to something at all times. We can pull with him, in unity, or we can pull on our own or with satan. But Christ's yoke is, ultimately, easy. His burden is light because He buoys us up. We are yoked WITH him. He lightens our load so it seems easy. We are told to bear each other's burdens but, really, all our burdens are borne by him. He removes the cares from our lives, if we but take up his cause, his yoke, his purpose. That is, after all, what the atonement does, right?

Another way to look at it: does Christ really ever say being a disciple is hard? Or does he say choosing to do so is hard? Having made the choice and followed through, our burdens are lifted.
    Last edited by creekster; 03-17-2015, 06:16 PM.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Brainwashing the kids to follow the Progmo cause today. Teaching a new song in primary and giving the subtle message that guys with beards can still stand in the circle, if not necessarily being the voice.

Comment

• I'm sitting in the overflow and some kid is throwing a paper airplane around. The parents couldn't care less. It's hitting people in the head.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
          Brainwashing the kids to follow the Progmo cause today. Teaching a new song in primary and giving the subtle message that guys with beards can still stand in the circle, if not necessarily being the voice.
          Are you sure that's not gay dude who engaged in some pre-meeting a......ctivities? I think the artist intentionally left it open to interpretation. #moreprogressivethanyouthought
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            Are you sure that's not gay dude who engaged in some pre-meeting a......ctivities? I think the artist intentionally left it open to interpretation. #moreprogressivethanyouthought
            Doesn't have to be gay. Could also be in an interracial relationship with a woman
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
              Brainwashing the kids to follow the Progmo cause today. Teaching a new song in primary and giving the subtle message that guys with beards can still stand in the circle, if not necessarily being the voice.
              And a purple tie.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottie View Post
                And a purple tie.
                Facial hair too, but all still in white shirts.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Doesn't have to be gay. Could also be in an interracial relationship with a woman
                  goatee and gold belt buckle? it's not exactly subtle
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    goatee and gold belt buckle? it's not exactly subtle
                    I'm heterosexual, sorry.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

• My first thought was that Elder Beard is sporting 1/2" lobe plugs.
                      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        I'm sitting in the overflow and some kid is throwing a paper airplane around. The parents couldn't care less. It's hitting people in the head.
                        That's incredibly annoying. I'd probably just take it when it came my way.
                        Not that, sickos.

Comment

• The bishop had asked that we spend three weeks of June taking the Teacher's Quorum through this fun one hour and 20 minute Q&A with Elder and Sister Bednar. This is our third and final week and I've sat through about fifteen total minutes of it. Bless her heart, but there is just nothing easy about listing to Sister Bednar. She doesn't have the kind of voice that lets me feel the spirit.

One of the few questions I've endured through was directed at Sister Bednar about a girl who struggles with her self esteem in regards to her looks. At the end, Elder Bednar, steps in with good intentions, but proceeds to make the following comments towards his wife:

-Sister Bednar is wrinkly
                          -Sister Bednar is a nice looking elderly woman
                          -"Sister Bednar was gorgeous as a young woman, now that beauty is not in her physical attractiveness..."
                          -"At her age, there's not another woman on the Earth as beautiful as Sister Bednar."

What a flirt.
                          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• tomorrow is my annual gospel doctrine trivia contest: brethren vs. sistren. I only do it once per year because it is a lot of work, and I dont want to get in trouble for going off the ranch. Here are a selection- there are 42 total

Now that Boyd K Packer has passed away, which apostle has the most seniority.
                            Typically how many men are considered Prophets, seers and revelators
                            this apostle is a nuclear engineer and has worked in the nuclear industry most of his life
                            6 bodies make up the general authorities of the church. what are these 6 bodies? (Hard)
                            How many Quorums of the Seventy currently exist?
                            How long do members of the first quorum of the seventy serve for?
                            This man is a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. Prior to that, he worked for 6 years in Houston, some kind of oil job.
                            If you serve in a Quorum of the Seventy, and you are not considered a General Authority, what is your formal church title?
                            What is the exact name of this group of people wearing yellow shirts?

Comment

• Those seems more like church bureaucracy trivia than gospel doctrine trivia. The one about hard bodies intrigues me though
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                                tomorrow is my annual gospel doctrine trivia contest: brethren vs. sistren. I only do it once per year because it is a lot of work, and I dont want to get in trouble for going off the ranch. Here are a selection- there are 42 total
                                Uncertain about a couple, but my answers.... Will treats be provided?

Spoiler for Preserving the sanctity of the exam room:
                                Now that Boyd K Packer has passed away, which apostle has the most seniority. Nelson
                                Typically how many men are considered Prophets, seers and revelators 15
                                this apostle is a nuclear engineer and has worked in the nuclear industry most of his life Scott
                                6 bodies make up the general authorities of the church. what are these 6 bodies? (Hard) FP, Q12, P's of the 70's, 1Q70, 2Q70, PB
                                How many Quorums of the Seventy currently exist? 8
                                How long do members of the first quorum of the seventy serve for? Emeritus at 70
                                This man is a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. Prior to that, he worked for 6 years in Houston, some kind of oil job. The Mormon Rifle
                                If you serve in a Quorum of the Seventy, and you are not considered a General Authority, what is your formal church title? Not sure, but I'd go with "Your Excellency"
                                What is the exact name of this group of people wearing yellow shirts? It would be helpful to see a picture, but I'll go with Mormon Helping Hands, but I wonder if it might be a replacement for Boy Scouts, patterned after the 1930s era Sturmabteilung or Brownshirts

Comment

Working...
                                X