Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Chess

  1. #1
    Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Away from Mordor
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Chess

    Are there any other chess players around here?
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

  2. #2

    Default

    I used to play quite a bit as a teenager. A lady in our neighborhood taught us to play and signed us all up for tournaments. I participated in probably 5 or 6 of those.

    I still like to play with my brother when we can, but it seems to happen infrequently.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

  3. #3

    Default

    Yes. I never played as a kid. I got really into it about 10 years ago and played a lot on Yahoo chess. My highest Yahoo rating got up to about 1600. I studied openings and strategy and stuff. I lost interest and haven't kept up my skill. But I like to play. I have it on my phone and play on occasion if I'm stuck waiting somewhere.

  4. #4

    Default

    I like to play and getting really good is something I'd like to do some day, but I've just never gotten around to putting the effort in. Really, I'm not sure what to do next. Right now, I get by with a few midgame principles, but I have the same basic opening that I always follow and am a little nervous to deviate from. So what's the next step? Any way to avoid just memorizing a bunch of openings, which sounds unbelievably tedious? Are there any good books people have used? Programs?
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

  5. #5

    Default

    SU plays, i believe
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  6. #6
    Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Away from Mordor
    Posts
    2,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    I like to play and getting really good is something I'd like to do some day, but I've just never gotten around to putting the effort in. Really, I'm not sure what to do next. Right now, I get by with a few midgame principles, but I have the same basic opening that I always follow and am a little nervous to deviate from. So what's the next step? Any way to avoid just memorizing a bunch of openings, which sounds unbelievably tedious? Are there any good books people have used? Programs?
    I believe that trying to memorize lines in openings is a dead end. I think authors sell alot of openings books and that they go nowhere in the longterm until someone has solid, strategic knowledge. Then, and only then, is studying openings worthwhile.

    I've progressed by learning principles and developing judgment, and only then has opening theory significantly helped my game. I highly recommend Yasser Seirawan's Winning Chess books. His book on strategies is amazing.
    Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 02-11-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Chess

    I used to play a lot in jr high. I even read several books. In other news I wasn't very popular with girls back then.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  8. #8
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    1,430

    Default

    I play on chess.com all the time although I suck - my rating is only 1400ish.

    If you want an easy win, PM me and I'll give you my chess.com username.

  9. #9
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    17,157

    Default

    I play chess occasionally, against my children and my Windows Phone. I'm not great.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  10. #10
    Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Away from Mordor
    Posts
    2,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I play on chess.com all the time although I suck - my rating is only 1400ish.

    If you want an easy win, PM me and I'll give you my chess.com username.
    Cool. We'll have to play a game sometime. When I'm at a tournament, I make it a point not to know the ratings of the people I'm playing, I've found I am less anxious, or arrogant.

    The whole ratings system is about money anyway. I think it's meant to encourage participation too, but can also do the opposite.

    2 cents.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

  11. #11

    Default

    Is chess.com the best place to play? Usernames, everyone?
    Are there any turn-based places to play, but that don't take forever? Sometimes I can't commit to enough time for a whole game.
    SU--didn't you post after you beat the ipad on its highest level? Or did I miss the joke?
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Is chess.com the best place to play? Usernames, everyone?
    Are there any turn-based places to play, but that don't take forever? Sometimes I can't commit to enough time for a whole game.
    SU--didn't you post after you beat the ipad on its highest level? Or did I miss the joke?
    When I was playing a lot, I liked yahoo.com a lot better than chess.com. A lot more people online and easier to get the kind of game you wanted. There were all sorts of configurations of games, with timers or without. A lot of five minute games. I never liked that. It seems the default was like 12 minutes + 15 seconds per move which means you finish your game generally within a half hour to hour. I went back on yahoo recently and there weren't nearly as many people playing, but I still found games like I wanted.

  13. #13

    Default

    What about this book, SIEQ?
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Play-Winning-Chess-Everyman/dp/1857443314/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360712680&sr=1-3&keywords=chess+playing"]Amazon.com: Play Winning Chess (Everyman Chess) (9781857443318): Yasser Seirawan: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414Qw2KIY9L.@@AMEPARAM@@414Qw2KIY9L[/ame]
    That strategies book is the third in a series of four, and I really can't see myself ever reading four books on chess. This seems more of a summary?

    This one looks interesting too:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Reassess-Your-Chess-Fourth/dp/1890085138/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360712743&sr=1-11&keywords=chess+books"]Amazon.com: How to Reassess Your Chess, Fourth edition (9781890085131): Jeremy Silman: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51luxFAgz6L.@@AMEPARAM@@51luxFAgz6L[/ame]
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

  14. #14
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    17,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    Is chess.com the best place to play? Usernames, everyone?
    Are there any turn-based places to play, but that don't take forever? Sometimes I can't commit to enough time for a whole game.
    SU--didn't you post after you beat the ipad on its highest level? Or did I miss the joke?
    yes, I did. It ran out of time. I ran a killer four corners offense.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  15. #15
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    1,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    When I was playing a lot, I liked yahoo.com a lot better than chess.com. A lot more people online and easier to get the kind of game you wanted. There were all sorts of configurations of games, with timers or without. A lot of five minute games. I never liked that. It seems the default was like 12 minutes + 15 seconds per move which means you finish your game generally within a half hour to hour. I went back on yahoo recently and there weren't nearly as many people playing, but I still found games like I wanted.
    Chess.com has a mobile app that works well enough that it's my primary chess-playing interface now. Lots of IM's and really good players playing on chess.com these days.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Chess.com has a mobile app that works well enough that it's my primary chess-playing interface now. Lots of IM's and really good players playing on chess.com these days.
    Cool, I've been feeling the pull back in. I downloaded the Shredder Chess app that costs like $5 or something, and I've been doing all the Tactics problems. That's been fun to kill a minute or two at a time in church or on the john or in line or at a red light. That seems to be all the free time I have nowadays (outside the 5+ hours I dedicate to CUF/CS).

  17. #17
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    On the "Pale Blue Dot."
    Posts
    12,342

    Default

    My little friend can kick all your *sses...

    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Deep-Blue-Building-Computer/dp/0691118183/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1360713490&sr=8-16&keywords=deep+blue"]Behind Deep Blue: Building the Computer that Defeated the World Chess Champion: Feng-Hsiung Hsu: 9780691118185: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515sgge3WFL.@@AMEPARAM@@515sgge3WFL[/ame]
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    Jesus ♥'s U but the Cowboys are His favorite.

  18. #18
    Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Away from Mordor
    Posts
    2,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
    What about this book, SIEQ?
    Amazon.com: Play Winning Chess (Everyman Chess) (9781857443318): Yasser Seirawan: Books
    That strategies book is the third in a series of four, and I really can't see myself ever reading four books on chess. This seems more of a summary?

    This one looks interesting too:
    Amazon.com: How to Reassess Your Chess, Fourth edition (9781890085131): Jeremy Silman: Books
    Every book in the Winning Chess series is excellent, and you don't have to purchase all of them. Over the years I've used them to give instruction to chess clubs and to private students, and it's always gone well.

    Winning Chess Strategies is a book that helps a ton of players make a breakthrough in their games. It helps them get their head on straight, and quiets all the anxious thoughts of "Oh no, he's deviated from the lines I know," and organizes all of the situational "advice" that chess players pick up. It helps you be a strong positional player, which is most often the difference between an expert and a mid-level class player.

    I've used Play Winning Chess with my youngest students. There are great things in it, but I suspect Winning Chess Strategies will serve you better.

    The Silman book is OK. He's a good writer and has good ideas.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

  19. #19
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    1,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    Every book in the Winning Chess series is excellent, and you don't have to purchase all of them. Over the years I've used them to give instruction to chess clubs and to private students, and it's always gone well.

    Winning Chess Strategies is a book that helps a ton of players make a breakthrough in their games. It helps them get their head on straight, and quiets all the anxious thoughts of "Oh no, he's deviated from the lines I know," and organizes all of the situational "advice" that chess players pick up. It helps you be a strong positional player, which is most often the difference between an expert and a mid-level class player.

    I've used Play Winning Chess with my youngest students. There are great things in it, but I suspect Winning Chess Strategies will serve you better.

    The Silman book is OK. He's a good writer and has good ideas.
    Cool. I just bought Winning Chess Strategies from Amazon (Kindle version). I expect to be an IM next year. If I'm not - I'm blaming you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •