Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess

Are there any other chess players around here?
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

I used to play quite a bit as a teenager. A lady in our neighborhood taught us to play and signed us all up for tournaments. I participated in probably 5 or 6 of those.

I still like to play with my brother when we can, but it seems to happen infrequently.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Yes. I never played as a kid. I got really into it about 10 years ago and played a lot on Yahoo chess. My highest Yahoo rating got up to about 1600. I studied openings and strategy and stuff. I lost interest and haven't kept up my skill. But I like to play. I have it on my phone and play on occasion if I'm stuck waiting somewhere.

Comment

I like to play and getting really good is something I'd like to do some day, but I've just never gotten around to putting the effort in. Really, I'm not sure what to do next. Right now, I get by with a few midgame principles, but I have the same basic opening that I always follow and am a little nervous to deviate from. So what's the next step? Any way to avoid just memorizing a bunch of openings, which sounds unbelievably tedious? Are there any good books people have used? Programs?
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

SU plays, i believe
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
            I like to play and getting really good is something I'd like to do some day, but I've just never gotten around to putting the effort in. Really, I'm not sure what to do next. Right now, I get by with a few midgame principles, but I have the same basic opening that I always follow and am a little nervous to deviate from. So what's the next step? Any way to avoid just memorizing a bunch of openings, which sounds unbelievably tedious? Are there any good books people have used? Programs?
            I believe that trying to memorize lines in openings is a dead end. I think authors sell alot of openings books and that they go nowhere in the longterm until someone has solid, strategic knowledge. Then, and only then, is studying openings worthwhile.

I've progressed by learning principles and developing judgment, and only then has opening theory significantly helped my game. I highly recommend Yasser Seirawan's Winning Chess books. His book on strategies is amazing.
            Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 02-11-2013, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Re: Chess

I used to play a lot in jr high. I even read several books. In other news I wasn't very popular with girls back then.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I play on chess.com all the time although I suck - my rating is only 1400ish.

If you want an easy win, PM me and I'll give you my chess.com username.

Comment

I play chess occasionally, against my children and my Windows Phone. I'm not great.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                    I play on chess.com all the time although I suck - my rating is only 1400ish.

If you want an easy win, PM me and I'll give you my chess.com username.
                    Cool. We'll have to play a game sometime. When I'm at a tournament, I make it a point not to know the ratings of the people I'm playing, I've found I am less anxious, or arrogant.

The whole ratings system is about money anyway. I think it's meant to encourage participation too, but can also do the opposite.

2 cents.

Comment

Is chess.com the best place to play? Usernames, everyone?
                      Are there any turn-based places to play, but that don't take forever? Sometimes I can't commit to enough time for a whole game.
                      SU--didn't you post after you beat the ipad on its highest level? Or did I miss the joke?
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Are there any turn-based places to play, but that don't take forever? Sometimes I can't commit to enough time for a whole game.
                        SU--didn't you post after you beat the ipad on its highest level? Or did I miss the joke?
                        When I was playing a lot, I liked yahoo.com a lot better than chess.com. A lot more people online and easier to get the kind of game you wanted. There were all sorts of configurations of games, with timers or without. A lot of five minute games. I never liked that. It seems the default was like 12 minutes + 15 seconds per move which means you finish your game generally within a half hour to hour. I went back on yahoo recently and there weren't nearly as many people playing, but I still found games like I wanted.

Comment

What about this book, SIEQ?
                          [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Play-Winning-Chess-Everyman/dp/1857443314/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360712680&sr=1-3&keywords=chess+playing"]Amazon.com: Play Winning Chess (Everyman Chess) (9781857443318): Yasser Seirawan: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414Qw2KIY9L.@@AMEPARAM@@414Qw2KIY9L[/ame]
                          That strategies book is the third in a series of four, and I really can't see myself ever reading four books on chess. This seems more of a summary?

This one looks interesting too:
                          [ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Reassess-Your-Chess-Fourth/dp/1890085138/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360712743&sr=1-11&keywords=chess+books"]Amazon.com: How to Reassess Your Chess, Fourth edition (9781890085131): Jeremy Silman: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51luxFAgz6L.@@AMEPARAM@@51luxFAgz6L[/ame]
                          -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

yes, I did. It ran out of time. I ran a killer four corners offense.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                              When I was playing a lot, I liked yahoo.com a lot better than chess.com. A lot more people online and easier to get the kind of game you wanted. There were all sorts of configurations of games, with timers or without. A lot of five minute games. I never liked that. It seems the default was like 12 minutes + 15 seconds per move which means you finish your game generally within a half hour to hour. I went back on yahoo recently and there weren't nearly as many people playing, but I still found games like I wanted.
                              Chess.com has a mobile app that works well enough that it's my primary chess-playing interface now. Lots of IM's and really good players playing on chess.com these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X