Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Chess.com has a mobile app that works well enough that it's my primary chess-playing interface now. Lots of IM's and really good players playing on chess.com these days.
    Cool, I've been feeling the pull back in. I downloaded the Shredder Chess app that costs like $5 or something, and I've been doing all the Tactics problems. That's been fun to kill a minute or two at a time in church or on the john or in line or at a red light. That seems to be all the free time I have nowadays (outside the 5+ hours I dedicate to CUF/CS).

Comment

My little friend can kick all your *sses...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Deep-Blue-Building-Computer/dp/0691118183/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1360713490&sr=8-16&keywords=deep+blue"]Behind Deep Blue: Building the Computer that Defeated the World Chess Champion: Feng-Hsiung Hsu: 9780691118185: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515sgge3WFL.@@AMEPARAM@@515sgge3WFL[/ame]
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        What about this book, SIEQ?
        Amazon.com: Play Winning Chess (Everyman Chess) (9781857443318): Yasser Seirawan: Books
        That strategies book is the third in a series of four, and I really can't see myself ever reading four books on chess. This seems more of a summary?

This one looks interesting too:
        Amazon.com: How to Reassess Your Chess, Fourth edition (9781890085131): Jeremy Silman: Books
        Every book in the Winning Chess series is excellent, and you don't have to purchase all of them. Over the years I've used them to give instruction to chess clubs and to private students, and it's always gone well.

Winning Chess Strategies is a book that helps a ton of players make a breakthrough in their games. It helps them get their head on straight, and quiets all the anxious thoughts of "Oh no, he's deviated from the lines I know," and organizes all of the situational "advice" that chess players pick up. It helps you be a strong positional player, which is most often the difference between an expert and a mid-level class player.

I've used Play Winning Chess with my youngest students. There are great things in it, but I suspect Winning Chess Strategies will serve you better.

The Silman book is OK. He's a good writer and has good ideas.
        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
          Every book in the Winning Chess series is excellent, and you don't have to purchase all of them. Over the years I've used them to give instruction to chess clubs and to private students, and it's always gone well.

Winning Chess Strategies is a book that helps a ton of players make a breakthrough in their games. It helps them get their head on straight, and quiets all the anxious thoughts of "Oh no, he's deviated from the lines I know," and organizes all of the situational "advice" that chess players pick up. It helps you be a strong positional player, which is most often the difference between an expert and a mid-level class player.

I've used Play Winning Chess with my youngest students. There are great things in it, but I suspect Winning Chess Strategies will serve you better.

The Silman book is OK. He's a good writer and has good ideas.
          Cool. I just bought Winning Chess Strategies from Amazon (Kindle version). I expect to be an IM next year. If I'm not - I'm blaming you

Comment

How is everyone's chess game?

Comment

Below average. I used to enjoy playing quite a bit, though.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I have been teaching my son to play. When I was a teen I used to play quite a bit in local tournaments and stuff, I have good memories of it, but lately I'm just trying to teach my son. Maybe he and I can enroll in a tournament together and spend some time one Saturday doing that.
                Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

chess is cool. makes me wish i was smarter.
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                    I have been teaching my son to play. When I was a teen I used to play quite a bit in local tournaments and stuff, I have good memories of it, but lately I'm just trying to teach my son. Maybe he and I can enroll in a tournament together and spend some time one Saturday doing that.
                    I taught an after school chess program, and it was a great time for my son and me. Now I do a chess camp in the summer, and he comes to that too.
                    Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 10-19-2016, 12:00 PM.

Comment

My mom and I had a tradition of playing chess when I'd wake up in the middle of the night sick. Highly recommend. It took my mind off being sick, and more often than not, I'd hit the sack before the game was up, so mom could get some sleep.
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Played on HS team in the state of Washington (5th board). Haven't done anything with it since.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          My mom and I had a tradition of playing chess when I'd wake up in the middle of the night sick. Highly recommend. It took my mind off being sick, and more often than not, I'd hit the sack before the game was up, so mom could get some sleep.
                          This makes sense. Research has found that chess can bring on alpha waves, which feels relaxing.

Comment

The Pro Chess League season starts tomorrow.

Some of the very best players in the world are participating and the games are 15 minutes plus increment for each player.

https://www.prochessleague.com/

The games are live streamed on chess.com, and on YouTube.
                            Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 01-05-2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Garry Kasparov recently did a podcast with Eric Weinstein where they talk a little chess and a lot of politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpQTqhs9xmA

He's an interesting follow on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Kasparov63

Comment

Speaking of chess, last month I shared this video with a captive audience of teenagers:

The context was a message about setting goals and growth mindset. Incredible story.
                                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                                X