What I Thought In Church Today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
    There's the "render unto Caesar " scripture. The Jews in Jesus' time didn't like a lot of the Roman laws and Jesus didn't encourage them to revolt.

One of our articles of faith states that we believe in being subject to governments and in honoring and sustaining the law. If you don't like the law, campaign to change it.

If somebody thinks there's a better way to help uninsured or underinsured people than the current proposed system, I think that's fine. But as a nation, we have largely failed in this.
    Actually, we haven't. Not even close.
    "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
      Who said anything about not sustaining the law?? IYou started this thread about fake family in order to get peopple to come over to your political persuasion.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
      This is not fake. A real person died. I wasn't particularly close to her, but I still am sad she passed. Most of the people I knew with strong feelings on this are never going to change their minds, let alone by reading one of my posts. I'm just expressing my opinion and feelings, which remain unchanged.
      Last edited by The Fourth Nephite; 01-22-2013, 12:26 PM.
      "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by venkman View Post
        Actually, we haven't. Not even close.
        So nobody has died or suffered from lack of medical care in this country?
        "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

Comment

So nobody has died or suffered from lack of medical care in this country?
          It certainly doesn't appear to have "largely failed", to borrow a phrase from you.

http://mappinghistory.uoregon.edu/en...S/US39-01.html
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Yay! We're #40. USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!!

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy"]List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Look out Chile, Cuba, and Slovenia. We're coming for you.

Comment

Yay! We're #40. USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!!

List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look out Chile, Cuba, and Slovenia. We're coming for you.
              Yeah, if we could weed out things like homicides, suicides and other deaths not due to natural causes we could vault into the top 20. Regardless, the US health care system has not "largely failed". But by all means, keep pouring on the hyperbole.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                Yeah, if we could weed out things like homicides, suicides and other deaths not due to natural causes we could vault into the top 20. Regardless, the US health care system has not "largely failed". But by all means, keep pouring on the hyperbole.
                According to this Bloomberg Report:

http://images.businessweek.com/bloom..._COUNTRIES.pdf

We are the 33rd healthiest country. The report includes it's methodology. You can see that they looked at a variety of health factors.

The US spends the most per capita on health care (double most other first world countries) and also has the largest percentage (by far) of GDP spent on healthcare care. For this, I expect more than #40 in life expectancy and #33 in health.

How can you call this anything but a dismal failure? Geez, Cuba is ahead of us. Cuba?? That's embarrasing.

If I was a Manager in some competitive field and I had the largest budget by far but was only coming in at #33 and #40, I would be fired in a heartbeat and replaced by somebody more competent. The United States shouldn't be #33 or #40 at anything (not even soccer). We can put a man on the moon, but we're not healthier than Costa Rica. That is an absolute failure.

Comment

Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                  I'd live in Ferron by choice without a road. I don't have to go through Castle Dale to get there, but it's the faster route.
                  I went on a couple dates with a girl from Ferron. Very cute. Good people there.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

We are the 33rd healthiest country. The report includes it's methodology. You can see that they looked at a variety of health factors.

The US spends the most per capita on health care (double most other first world countries) and also has the largest percentage (by far) of GDP spent on healthcare care. For this, I expect more than #40 in life expectancy and #33 in health.

How can you call this anything but a dismal failure? Geez, Cuba is ahead of us. Cuba?? That's embarrasing.

If I was a Manager in some competitive field and I had the largest budget by far but was only coming in at #33 and #40, I would be fired in a heartbeat and replaced by somebody more competent. The United States shouldn't be #33 or #40 at anything (not even soccer). We can put a man on the moon, but we're not healthier than Costa Rica. That is an absolute failure.
                    Did you not read the methodology in the link you used? There's a whole bunch of things included there that don't have anything to do with the availability and affordability of health care. Remove the noise from your data and then get back to me. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I wouldn't take this study as gospel truth, but if you want to that's fine.

I'd say Americans are generally as healthy as they choose to be. I agree we can get healthcare as a % of GDP down, mostly through market reforms as anti-market regulations are what is pushing costs higher.

I'm still not sure what you mean by absolute failure. If it's some healthcare costs per person ratio then I agree it's bad. If it's access to quality healthcare, even for the poor and uninsured, I think we're pretty good.
                      "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Did you not read the methodology in the link you used? There's a whole bunch of things included there that don't have anything to do with the availability and affordability of health care. Remove the noise from your data and then get back to me. Thanks in advance.
                        Even before reading the methodology, I assumed the US's status as a mere honorable mention in the Top 25 wasn't due to health care deficiencies, but rather to lifestyle issues, which the methodology certainly confirms. I'd like to see the world rankings with respect to the consumption of saturated fats, processed grains, corn syrup and sugars. I suspect we kick the world's ass, which on average is much smaller than our own.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          Even before reading the methodology, I assumed the US's status as a mere honorable mention in the Top 25 wasn't due to health care deficiencies, but rather to lifestyle issues, which the methodology certainly confirms. I'd like to see the world rankings with respect to the consumption of saturated fats, processed grains, corn syrup and sugars. I suspect we kick the world's ass, which on average is much smaller than our own.
                          If the health care system is supposed to save us from ourselves no matter how much we abuse and kill ourselves, then I guess it might be the abject failure the Nth Nephite claims it is.

If, however, if it should merely be able to extend and improve the quality of living for otherwise healthy, temperate individuals......

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            Great point...which leads me to my next thought:

The US has failed terribly at promoting healthy diets. Thank you politicians and ranchers.

http://www.pcrm.org/good-medicine/20...-the-farm-bill

Comment

Great point...which leads me to my next thought:

The US has failed terribly at promoting healthy diets. Thank you politicians and ranchers.

http://www.pcrm.org/good-medicine/20...-the-farm-bill
                              Or perhaps the search for Sooner's god to protect us from ourselves is a foolish endeavor and it is time we all exercise some responsibility for ourselves. Here is a thought...when you have a lump on your breast and there are others depending upon you go get yourself checked out. Get the money to pay it from family or your church but don't wait for someone else to take care of you.

On the other hand once health care becomes a right and thus the public has a financial interest in what you eat, and how frequently you exercise, then we can regulate the hell out of that too!
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

If the health care system is supposed to save us from ourselves no matter how much we abuse and kill ourselves, then I guess it might be the abject failure the Nth Nephite claims it is.

If, however, if it should merely be able to extend and improve the quality of living for otherwise healthy, temperate individuals......
                                Healthy, temperate Americans are in the minority. Quit living in your fantasy world and address reality.

Comment

Working...
                                X