The Official "I don't know what to do with duck" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official "I don't know what to do with duck" Thread

My boss brought in 8 ducks that he shot yesterday evening. 5 mallards, a wood duck and 2 teals. Me and my buddies at work breasted the ducks and now I have about 15 duck breasts to prepare (2 or 3 breasts were shot-all-to-hell). I have them soaking in water and packed with ice until I get home. I am planning on soaking them in buttermilk or salt water through the night. I am not sure what to do with them after that. Naturally, my first thought was to smoke them. I am a bit concerned that I may dry them out though. I was told that duck is best derved med-rare. The only duck that I remember having is a smoked duck sandwich with hot mustard. It was a.w.e.s.o.m.e.

I know that we have our fair share of hunters and outdoorsman (ie Lebowski, hostile, smr, etc.) and food experts. What are some favorite recipes? I would like to make something that I can bring back to work for my boys to enjoy.

TIA
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Peking.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

In all honesty - I've never been a big fan of duck. I've had some stuff that was OK, and some that I just really didn't like. But I can't say that I've ever had duck that I thought was awesome enough I was looking for more.

All that aside - in my experience wild duck tends to taste a lot like liver. Maybe some of that has to do with the preparation, but I would go with any recipe you like with liver will probably be OK with duck.

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
        My boss brought in 8 ducks that he shot yesterday evening. 5 mallards, a wood duck and 2 teals. Me and my buddies at work breasted the ducks and now I have about 15 duck breasts to prepare (2 or 3 breasts were shot-all-to-hell). I have them soaking in water and packed with ice until I get home. I am planning on soaking them in buttermilk or salt water through the night. I am not sure what to do with them after that. Naturally, my first thought was to smoke them. I am a bit concerned that I may dry them out though. I was told that duck is best derved med-rare. The only duck that I remember having is a smoked duck sandwich with hot mustard. It was a.w.e.s.o.m.e.

I know that we have our fair share of hunters and outdoorsman (ie Lebowski, hostile, smr, etc.) and food experts. What are some favorite recipes? I would like to make something that I can bring back to work for my boys to enjoy.

TIA
        My neighbor is a big duck hunter, and this is the recipe he told me was his favorite:

- Prepare the meet by covering with any and every spice you can find in your cupboard.

- Place on a cedar plank, and grill for 20 minutes at about 400 degrees

- Remove from oven, throw out the duck meat, and eat the plank

He says he loves hunting them but can't stand eating them.
        Last edited by chrisrenrut; 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I am not a hunter so I have no experience, but I ate this at Mesa Grill in Las Vegas and it was delicious.

http://www.bobbyflay.com/recipe.php?id=39
          One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
          SU

Comment

I was talking to some people about smoking, and one guy offered that smoked duck is even better than smoked turkey. Has anyone ever smoked a duck before?

Comment

It's been five years. How were you even aware that this thread existed to bump? I need to start a spreadsheet to keep track.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                It's been five years. How were you even aware that this thread existed to bump? I need to start a spreadsheet to keep track.
                I did a search on Duck in thread titles.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                  My neighbor is a big duck hunter, and this is the recipe he told me was his favorite:

- Prepare the meet by covering with any and every spice you can find in your cupboard.

- Place on a cedar plank, and grill for 20 minutes at about 400 degrees

- Remove from oven, throw out the duck meat, and eat the plank

He says he loves hunting them but can't stand eating them.
                  Seems like a waste of spices. Why not cover the plank instead of the meat?
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    Seems like a waste of spices. Why not cover the plank instead of the meat?
                    I’ll just reply with a couple of great lines from The Way, Way Back.

“Do you even get comedy?” “Good. Always take things literally. How's that working out for you? Does that get you laid?”

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                      I’ll just reply with a couple of great lines from The Way, Way Back.

“Do you even get comedy?” “Good. Always take things literally. How's that working out for you? Does that get you laid?”
                      I enjoyed that movie.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                      X