Urban Meyer or Nick Saban?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Meyer has done miraculous things (not too strong a term to describe what he's done) in three different conferences, at schools with completely different sets of challenges. Until Ohio State he did not coach a team with a tradition and an autmatic top tier recruiting base like LSU or Alabama.
    Florida is one of the top jobs in the country. They are absolutely in the automatic top tier and it is arguably a better job than LSU or Bama. Florida has a ton of money and an amazing alumni base.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I don't know how up to date the data is on this (there is some issues that I see) but it is still interesting to look at. Findthedata.org Meyer vs. Saban

Meyer has a better winning percentage-80% to Saban's 71%.
      "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
        I don't know how up to date the data is on this (there is some issues that I see) but it is still interesting to look at. Findthedata.org Meyer vs. Saban

Meyer has a better winning percentage-80% to Saban's 71%.
        Meyer also has the better bowl record 7-1 to 8-6.

Like I said this isn't a clear cut case either way.
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          You need to hit the history books. Florida is not Alabama. Alabama, OK, USC, Ohio State, and ND are in a class by themselves. (But as the late 3D liked to point out, ND is a unique challenge becuase the school cares about some things more than football.)
          Florida's a blue blood as much as anyone the last few decades.
          Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Meyer is about 14 years younger than Saban, though Saban seems mentally and maybe physically tougher. I wonder if Meyer will even be coaching or alive in 14 years.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
              This has nothing to do with Utah. Meyer was a carpetbagger at Utah and I really have no affection for him. I did certainly enjoy his accomplishments at Utah, but I'm not a Meyer fan or a Meyer hater. Saban has also coached in college football for longer than Urban Meyer, 17 seasons to Meyer's 11. He has had more opportunities to win a MNC than Meyer. Also, Meyer has only coached 7 seasons at a BCS school and one of those seasons his team was on probation. Meyer has only had a legitimate shot at a MNC in 6 seasons he has coached. Saban has coached 16 seasons at BCS programs including 11 in the SEC. Saban has had a lot more seasons where he had a legit shot at a MNC.

You also can't just ignore Saban's earlier coaching in making this assessment of the careers of Meyer and Saban. It is more than just counting the national championships. If Ohio State had been off sanctions this year, the national championship count may very well be even.

Saban was unremarkable at Michigan St. (6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5, 6-6, 9-2).
              Meyer was great at Bowling Green, a school that really is nothing other than the Meyer era (8-3, 9-3). Meyer also was great at Utah (10-2, 12-0).
              I'm not sure comparing number of years as HC shakes out in favor of Urban Meyer, since the ratio of years HC'ing experience (17:11) is smaller than NCs (4:2), and would only seem to strenghten the argument in favor of Saban. Also, I'm not sure your BG vs. MSU is a comparison you really want to make and expect to be taken seriously.

That said, Meyer and Saban are head and shoulders above the rest of the HCs in college football (sorry HFN!), and I really don't mean to knock Meyer. I just think Saban has simply set the bar so high that it is near impossible for anyone to trump him as a HC right now.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Meyer also has the better bowl record 7-1 to 8-6.

Like I said this isn't a clear cut case either way.
                The last four years of Saban's career eclipses the entirety of Urban Meyer's accomplishments thus far.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                  I actually think if OSU were eligible, it would have been 'Bama kicking OSU's butt last night. A one-loss SEC champion gets so much love in the polls, I think it would push them past an undefeated ND team who eeked out wins against BYU and Pitt in the BCS rankings. That's pure speculation, but just my .$02.
                  A one loss sec team would not jump an undefeated Ohio st or notre dame. Get real
                  "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    The last four years of Saban's career eclipses the entirety of Urban Meyer's accomplishments thus far.
                    Okay, well let's take the best 4 years of Urban Meyer's career 2006-2009.

2006: 13-1 and a MNC
                    2007: 9-4 and a loss in the Capital One bowl
                    2008: 13-1 and a MNC
                    2009: 13-1 and a Sugar Bowl win

2009: 14-0 and a MNC
                    2010: 10-3 and a win in the Capital One bowl
                    2011: 12-1 and a MNC
                    2012: 12-1 and a MNC

So really the only difference is a Capitol one bowl win and Saban getting lucky enough in 2012 that Oregon lost to Stanford and Kansas St lost to Baylor to allow Bama to slip back into the national title game. If Texas has a loss in 2009, Florida may be getting a rematch against Bama in the title game and winning another MNC against Bama. So apparently 1-2 games over a 4 year period has caused Saban to eclipse what Meyer has done in his entire career?

It is also funny that apparently Saban's ability to be so far and away superior to Meyer required both Kansas State and Oregon to get upset. Saban's ability to eclipse Meyer was also depend on Meyer's team being on sanctions and not being able to play in a bowl. If Ohio State is eligible for a bowl game, they are in the MNC game and Saban is out. Without those breaks, Saban has a 4 year period identical to what Meyer did from 2006 to 2009.
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I pick Saban over Urban. Meyer has done some great things, but three of his four great seasons (2004, 2006, 2012; 2008 excluded) were because of the previous regime's recruits. Saban has completely rebuilt the Alabama program, and while competing against UGA and SoCar isn't a walk in the park for the Gators, the SEC West is the toughest division in the nation.
                      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Okay, well let's take the best 4 years of Urban Meyer's career 2006-2009.

2006: 13-1 and a MNC
                        2007: 9-4 and a loss in the Capital One bowl
                        2008: 13-1 and a MNC
                        2009: 13-1 and a Sugar Bowl win

2009: 14-0 and a MNC
                        2010: 10-3 and a win in the Capital One bowl
                        2011: 12-1 and a MNC
                        2012: 12-1 and a MNC

So really the only difference is a Capitol one bowl win and Saban getting lucky enough in 2012 that Oregon lost to Stanford and Kansas St lost to Baylor to allow Bama to slip back into the national title game. If Texas has a loss in 2009, Florida may be getting a rematch against Bama in the title game and winning another MNC against Bama. So apparently 1-2 games over a 4 year period has caused Saban to eclipse what Meyer has done in his entire career?

It is also funny that apparently Saban's ability to be so far and away superior to Meyer required both Kansas State and Oregon to get upset. Saban's ability to eclipse Meyer was also depend on Meyer's team being on sanctions and not being able to play in a bowl. If Ohio State is eligible for a bowl game, they are in the MNC game and Saban is out. Without those breaks, Saban has a 4 year period identical to what Meyer did from 2006 to 2009.
                        If Ohio St isn't on sanctions, Tressel is still the HC, and Urban is still employed by ESPN.
                        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                          If Ohio St isn't on sanctions, Tressel is still the HC, and Urban is still employed by ESPN.
                          And if God was not wroth with His people, BYU would be 10-0 against Utah in the last 10 years.

Anyway, the correct answer is Saban.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

[YOUTUBE]Da6K0a5RPUA#![/YOUTUBE]

Be ready Saban...

Comment

lol. Buckeye fans are ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                                lol. Buckeye fans are ridiculous funny.
                                FIFY

Comment

Working...
                                X