Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's right with Texas?

Default What's right with Texas?

$8 Billion budget surplus to start the year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...boom-cash.html

Map of Texas Gun Owners

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    $8 Billion budget surplus to start the year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...boom-cash.html
    I'd be concerned about California invading right about now.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    I'd be concerned about California invading right about now.
    Given the levels of gun ownership in the two states, that won't happen. However, Hollywood just upped by $2.00 the price of admission in Texas for Texas Chainsaw 3-D, and our fair state should recover that surplus within the next three weeks or so.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Given the levels of gun ownership in the two states, that won't happen. However, Hollywood just upped by $2.00 the price of admission in Texas for Texas Chainsaw 3-D, and our fair state should recover that surplus within the next three weeks or so.
    I bet Texans win out on chainsaw ownership too.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Texas rules!!
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Texas considering funding gun training for teachers...

Texas Senate leaders are considering a proposal to provide state-funded special training for school employees with handgun licenses as a way to protect students from “active shooters,” officials confirmed Friday.

Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said no decision has been made, but if eventually approved, it could work like this:

School districts that authorize teachers or employees to carry guns on school campuses — as current state law allows — would be given “special training in cases of an active shooter” at state expense to ensure they would be properly equipped to handle such an emergency.

Dewhurst said the training would be designed to minimize the risk to students.

[...]
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I was born there. I wonder if I should move back.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I applied for a job in Houston two days ago. I don't think I have a shot, just curious really. But a few months ago I did put in for a job in Dallas that I wanted and thought I had a legit chance at landing, but ultimately didn't get it.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I applied for a job in Houston two days ago. I don't think I have a shot, just curious really. But a few months ago I did put in for a job in Dallas that I wanted and thought I had a legit chance at landing, but ultimately didn't get it.
    You should have PM'ed me on the one in Dallas. I would have put in a good word for you.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Hedging on California, Apple Breaks Ground on 1-Million-Square-Foot Texas Outpost

[...]
    In its development agreement with the city, Apple says that the new facility will be the overflow for Apple’s America operations outside of its Cupertino, California, headquarters. “The company requires an operational center to centralize various functions, such as accounting, human resources and finance,” Apple wrote in a description of the $287 million project, filed with city planners.

But the planning documents leave a lot out. They don’t, for example, mention that Austin is already a center of Apple’s support and hardware development groups. Apple is presently hiring nearly 40 hardware engineers in Austin, including chip designers and power-optimization engineers.

Under the terms of Apple’s economic development agreement with Austin, Apple will first build a $56 million 200,000-square-foot facility in two buildings. That’s set to be done by the end of 2015. “Phase II will be up to 800,000 square feet in several buildings,” Apple says in planning documents. It will be completed by the end of 2021.
    [...]
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Good luck!
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

The new LBJ express (IH 635) that is currently under construction (to be completed 2015)...

http://transportationblog.dallasnews...635-redo.html/
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    The new LBJ express (IH 635) that is currently under construction (to be completed 2015)...

http://transportationblog.dallasnews...635-redo.html/
    That's propaganda at its finest. No matter how wide LBJ is built for that stretch it will always be crowded with traffic creeping at school zone speeds. I commuted that stretch daily for about 5 years. What's needed is high speed rail.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

When I looked at this thread title in the "New Posts" list, it was right above "Guns." It seemed to fit. Sorry for screwing that up with this post.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Breakfast tacos...

“People wake up at all hours of the day,” Mr. Espinosa, a native of Mexico City, said as he served a taco, piled with scrambled eggs and drenched in a purée of russets and jalapeños that he calls Mexican mashed potatoes.

“Maybe the first meal of their day comes at 11 in the morning, and maybe it comes at 2 in the afternoon,” Mr. Espinosa said, as customers queued for migas tacos, bound with jack cheese. “They want a taco, and they want breakfast. And a breakfast taco gets you both.”
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Those don't even look like good breakfast tacos, either. There's a woman that makes them for my office on occasion - cheap, we order in advance - and they are spectacular.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Not worth my time if there is no green chile.

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    Not worth my time if there is no green chile.

This isn't the "What's right with New Mexico?" thread!
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

New video. It doesn't disappoint.

"Remember to double tap"

Default Re: What's right with Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    That's propaganda at its finest. No matter how wide LBJ is built for that stretch it will always be crowded with traffic creeping at school zone speeds. I commuted that stretch daily for about 5 years. What's needed is high speed rail.
    Those express lanes look pretty nice to me. The reality is the vast majority of American cities (including Dallas) don't have the population density to make rail transit cost effective as anything more than a supplement to commuter demand.

And this is coming from someone who makes a living designing rail structures and works on rail transit projects.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The Lone Star State is now known as Saudi Texas...

Oil production in Texas is soaring, so much so that production jumped to an average 2.139 million barrels a day in November — the best showing in more than 25 years.

Analysts are chalking up Texas' booming production to shale plays, especially South Texas' Eagle Ford Shale where production was minuscule just five years ago, along with a revival of West Texas' Permian Basin.

[...]

Texas' oil production has jumped by 71 percent in the last two years, Perry said, based on data from the Energy Information Administration, the Energy Department's statistics arm.

“It's a huge, unbelievable increase,” said Perry, who has used the term “Saudi Texas” in his blog, called Carpe Diem. “It's amazing how fast it has happened. It's just phenomenal.”

[...]

Severance taxes — Texas' tax on oil and gas production — “are back up as a significant source of revenue,” Bullock said, as well as local property taxes.
    Oil and gas deposits in the state's rainy day fund were almost $1.9 billion in fiscal 2013 — representing almost one-fourth of the fund's $8 billion. They're estimated to be $1.7 billion in fiscal 2014 and $1.8 billion 2015.

(While oil and gas contributions to the fund have fluctuated, this year's contribution dwarfs 2011's deposit of $451 million. Eagle Ford production was just starting to make an impact that year.)

[...]

SMU's Bullock, though, is optimistic that oil prices will remain relatively high and that will continue to encourage drilling.
    Drill baby, drill.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

But, but, California has tons of reserves too! Why aren't they seeing the same economic benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
    But, but, California has tons of reserves too! Why aren't they seeing the same economic benefits?
    I guess they don't want to be know as Saudi California.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I guess they don't want to be know as Saudi California.
    Maybe the RHCP should write that song.