No announcement yet.

The Maps and Geography Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A map that T.E. Lawrence apparently drew to show how to partition the Ottoman Empire.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/world

174/196 just now. No cheating.

Missed Sao Tome, Igaria, Nauru, Kiribati, and Bhutan of all places.

Gave up with 2 minutes left.

The hard part was having to spell them right. Took several tries for many of them.

Comment

http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/world

174/196 just now. No cheating.
        That's amazing. I got 101.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post

The hard part was having to spell them right. Took several tries for many of them.
          Nice job. Really amazing.

Comment

Igaria? Never heard of it

Comment

I got rim checked on too many spellings and it took the fun out of it. I would have had the worst score anyway.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Here is a Chinese map of the world dating back to the early 1400s, well before Christopher Columbus et al

Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  Here is a Chinese map of the world dating back to the early 1400s, well before Christopher Columbus et al

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...inese_map.html
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

That is phenomenal. I missed seven easy ones that I simply forgot: Sweden Macedonia, Monaco, Haiti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, and Zimbabwe.

The other ones are the ones that give me trouble: Mauritius, Comoros, Tuvalu, Kiribati, Antigua, and other islands.

Comment

The map is wrong since China should be on the far right.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

That is phenomenal. I missed seven easy ones that I simply forgot: Sweden Macedonia, Monaco, Haiti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, and Zimbabwe.

The other ones are the ones that give me trouble: Mauritius, Comoros, Tuvalu, Kiribati, Antigua, and other islands.

My son has a thing for memorizing, and did the 50 states in the order they were admitted to the Union (weird), and last year did the countries of the world. I did it with him, which is the only reason I got that score. Now he's memorizing poetry from Billy Collins. I'm happy about that one. "And you are certainly not the pine-scented air. there is just no way that you are the pine-scented air."
                        Last edited by Levin; 01-11-2013, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          Cool map. I love stuff like that.

I dig the Earth at night pictures. Fascinating to me.

One thing I learned recently. And I don't know how I never knew this before, but it was seriously amazing to discover. I always knew international flights went way north in their path, but for some reason I thought it had to do with wind currents (which is partially true sometimes but not the primary reason). So I was looking on a globe, and damned if a straight line between say Eastern Europe and Utah doesn't go almost right through the North Pole. Mind blown.
                          That my friend is a Great Circle.

One of the biggest disservices that we have done for kids is have that stupid transverse Mercator map on all the elementary school walls growing up. Everyone thinks Greenland is bigger than Africa.

Comment

Highly suspicious.
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Chinese map from the 1400's, depicting the Grand Tetons in Wyoming? (Rocky Mountains at the least.)Those dudes got around.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                Highly suspicious.
                                Yeah, especially since they got the Red Sea, but not the Persian Gulf.

Comment

Working...
                                X