PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Technically, its "grease" lightening.
      Keep talking. Woah, keep talking.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        I call it a potato bug. My kids call it a roly poly. It's a point of contention in the home. It's similar to that basketball game where you have two basketballs and shoot from teh foul line and have to make a shot before the guy behind you scores. I call that game "lightning" and my kids call it "knock out"
        Opposite of me. I grew up outside of Utah and call it roly poly. I heard my kids call it a potato bug once and freaked out.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
          Like many of our quirks in Utah, it may have begun and migrated here from upstate New York.
          Made me laugh.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            Opposite of me. I grew up outside of Utah and call it roly poly. I heard my kids call it a potato bug once and freaked out.
            I've been out to dinner with my wife and kids, and the waiter didn't understand any of them when they wanted car-mel on their ice cream. I had to say, "care-uh-mel" and he was like, "OH!" Of course, when I lived in Utah 20 years ago, people would always ask me to "Say something" to hear my accent. I don't have a thick Southern accent, naturally, since my mission. When I came home, I had more of a bland-trending-to-Southern accent in English. However, I can turn it on when needed, or it'll come out of me without affecting it if I get really tired, really pissed off, or talk with someone with whom I went to school. In Utah, I would just say, curtly, "sumthun.'"

Now, I can do a variety of accents. Appalachian, Northern Alabaman, North Georgian, Low Country, Middle Georgia, Pee Dee. The Pee Dee one might be my favorite SWVE accent. It has two variations. One is super-fast and high pitched. The other is low-pitched and involves never separating the top and bottom teeth from one another while speaking. Both accents use the word cut with on or off to shut off electricity, for example, "Cut on the lights/cut off the lights." Both use "whenever" to mean a specific point in time: "Whenever I bought those potato chips yesterday at Piggly Wiggly they were on sale," though the second variation (I call it Mushmouth) would say "Whenever I bought them potato chips yesterday at Piggly Wiggly, they was on sale." To gloss it using regular letters, it'd sound like this, (capital letter shows stress): winEver I bauwt dem patAtuh chI-ips yEssirday et pIdli wIdli, dey wuz awn sA-el."
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              That game is called “speed”. Your wife agrees with me.
              no, that game is called tornado (though my dumb kid and his dumb friends call it lightning). and its a potato bug.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                I'm a knock out/potato bug guy.
                I agree with creekster. I'm also twice as crotchety despite being 40.

This regional vocabulary made me think of soda. Growing up in Nebraska we all called it pop. When I went to BYU I switched to soda and never looked back. Now it sounds weird when I go home and everyone is talking about pop. Sometimes I'll say soda pop as a folksy compromise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

This regional vocabulary made me think of soda. Growing up in Nebraska we all called it pop. When I went to BYU I switched to soda and never looked back. Now it sounds weird when I go home and everyone is talking about pop. Sometimes I'll say soda pop as a folksy compromise.
                  I feel like soda is the right way, so at times I've tried to create a habit of saying soda, but ultimately I can't escape my Utah roots and inevitably revert back to pop.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Same here. Except for the creepy Nebraska part.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                      Same here. Except for the creepy Nebraska part.
                      There is nothing weird or creepy about Nebraska.

ncb_a_bo99_cr_600x600.jpg

Comment

• The best thing about Nebraska is that fake bo pellini twitter account.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Growing up in Georgia, everything is a coke.

"Want a coke?"
                          "Yeah, gimme a Sprite."
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            Growing up in Georgia, everything is a coke.

"Want a coke?"
                            "Yeah, gimme a Sprite."
                            Does anybody ever say:

"Want a coke?"
                            "Yeah, gimme a Pepsi."
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Does anybody ever say:

"Want a coke?"
                              "Yeah, gimme a Pepsi."
                              Yeah, fucking Yankees.

Comment

• Interesting map from 2014. Didn't see it listed in this thread close to the date it was released so thought I'd share.
                                DTCrYlkX0AAhsfC.jpg
                                “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Working...
                                X