Anae back at BYU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
    WTF? Did he seriously say that? I know he has put up impressive numbers in high school (at least one of the local media guys said as much on twitter). So BYU has all thier eggs in the Hill or Mangum basket?
    Apparently he did.

After being recommended to BYU coaches by the Barton passing camp in Washington, Green had doubts if he was even good enough to play at the D-I level
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ng.html?pg=all
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I think Anae is a good and proven D1 OC. I would venture to predict that this hire is the most proven OC hire in BYU's long and vaunted history as a top program of intercollegiate football competition. Anae did a good job as the OC and I thought it wasn't very smart for him to be forced off.

I like Anae because I thought he was a good coach. The tight ends performed brilliant under his watch until 2010 in which they were all super young. They were getting better, I thought. I know the rumors from the morons was he never coached the tight ends but to say that in the face of the performance of Pitta and Harline was so stupid to utter I rarely even made an effort to mock the shortsighted criticisms.

I thought the biggest difference between the greatness of 2006 and the Hall years boiled down to the reality that Max Hall did not have John Beck's arm strength. The reality is that BYU is not usually going to have playmaking receivers. We can bitch, moan, whine, pull string and fire every OC we ever hire but that is not going to change the fundamentals of BYU's recruiting base and the fundamentals of the BYU experience. We can ignore that reality and be dumbasses like we were when we ran off Anae, but the fundamentals of BYU will not change. To deal with this for BYU to have trully exceptional offenses they must have a quarterback who is able to force opposing teams to respect the mid-range game. If defensive secondaries don't have to worry about defending the 22 yard out or crossing pattern, it gets much easier to jump the shorter routes. In the 5-6 games over the Hall years where BYU fans turn into pussies of mythical proportions it is my totally unqualified opinion that the root issue was BYU's inability to stretch the passing game just because Max didn't have the arm strength to do it against really good defenses.

I think Anae coming back will provide the offense an identity and lead to a significantly improved running game. I think the OL will improve and BYU will get better as a result. I also hope that BYU's recruiting for runningbacks improves. One of the problems of 2010-2012 was that until Jamal Williams, BYU had not had really talented rushers. I think Alisa is solid and I have hopes for the Rugby fello, Paul Lasike or something like that. But fundamentally BYU did not recruit that position well from Harvey Unga until Jamal Williams. I don't know who or what is to blame but that has got to improve.

I am hopeful that the Poly movement will bare fruit. Clearly Mendehall hit it on the head when he said BYU still lands Poly's but it we have been losing the elite ones. We are never going to land all of them but we must land some other than our coach's sons. I know Mendenhall has had coversations with former elite Poly players and there is a clear push to improve this. Mendenhall hears the crititicism and agrees. Time will tell if his measures to improve things will do just that.

I also chuckle with keeping Brandon on staff. Not only is it awkward but it is also a great method of keeping the dumbasseye in our fan base, who evaluate an OC by whether or not their wives can predict the plays BYU runs instead of whether or not the predicted plays are actually successful, on edge from getting to critical of Bobo Anae. You see Mendenhall keeps Doman around and says: "Listen you pharisitical armchair dipshits, you make my life hell because we only win 10 games and lose to really good teams I will run Bobo off again and you will be stuck with Brandon Doman as your OC once again...so ask yourself if you are feeling lucky today?"

Saying that I think that Doman provides many benefits to the BYU program. I would prefer he work with a different position than QB. In my world BYU would bring in Crowton as the qb coach and as a voice of innovation/unorthodoxy to help Anae in this area while Anae and his heavy emphasis on execution continues to be the boss. That way a competent voice could recommend some things BYU could do to be less predictable but Anae can weigh to what extent the lack of predictability will disrupt BYU's execution. Move Doman to coach tight ends. Have Atauia coach runningbacks and Cahoon to coach the WRs. I gotta think an OC in Canada doesn't make a great deal more than a position coach at one college footballs most vaunted passing programs of intercollegiate football competitions? Buuuut, I guess I can live with Anae, Atuaia, Doman, Cahoon and Dupaix.

Is Vai Sikahema finally happy? Sounds like he was Holmoe's consultant in mapping this out. Holmoe did better than Bronco with the offense BYU had until Bronco ran off Holmoe's forced hire.

Thems my thoughts.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
        I think Anae is a good and proven D1 OC. I would venture to predict that this hire is the most proven OC hire in BYU's long and vaunted history as a top program of intercollegiate football competition. Anae did a good job as the OC and I thought it wasn't very smart for him to be forced off.

I like Anae because I thought he was a good coach. The tight ends performed brilliant under his watch until 2010 in which they were all super young. They were getting better, I thought. I know the rumors from the morons was he never coached the tight ends but to say that in the face of the performance of Pitta and Harline was so stupid to utter I rarely even made an effort to mock the shortsighted criticisms.

I thought the biggest difference between the greatness of 2006 and the Hall years boiled down to the reality that Max Hall did not have John Beck's arm strength. The reality is that BYU is not usually going to have playmaking receivers. We can bitch, moan, whine, pull string and fire every OC we ever hire but that is not going to change the fundamentals of BYU's recruiting base and the fundamentals of the BYU experience. We can ignore that reality and be dumbasses like we were when we ran off Anae, but the fundamentals of BYU will not change. To deal with this for BYU to have trully exceptional offenses they must have a quarterback who is able to force opposing teams to respect the mid-range game. If defensive secondaries don't have to worry about defending the 22 yard out or crossing pattern, it gets much easier to jump the shorter routes. In the 5-6 games over the Hall years where BYU fans turn into pussies of mythical proportions it is my totally unqualified opinion that the root issue was BYU's inability to stretch the passing game just because Max didn't have the arm strength to do it against really good defenses.

I think Anae coming back will provide the offense an identity and lead to a significantly improved running game. I think the OL will improve and BYU will get better as a result. I also hope that BYU's recruiting for runningbacks improves. One of the problems of 2010-2012 was that until Jamal Williams, BYU had not had really talented rushers. I think Alisa is solid and I have hopes for the Rugby fello, Paul Lasike or something like that. But fundamentally BYU did not recruit that position well from Harvey Unga until Jamal Williams. I don't know who or what is to blame but that has got to improve.

I am hopeful that the Poly movement will bare fruit. Clearly Mendehall hit it on the head when he said BYU still lands Poly's but it we have been losing the elite ones. We are never going to land all of them but we must land some other than our coach's sons. I know Mendenhall has had coversations with former elite Poly players and there is a clear push to improve this. Mendenhall hears the crititicism and agrees. Time will tell if his measures to improve things will do just that.

I also chuckle with keeping Brandon on staff. Not only is it awkward but it is also a great method of keeping the dumbasseye in our fan base, who evaluate an OC by whether or not their wives can predict the plays BYU runs instead of whether or not the predicted plays are actually successful, on edge from getting to critical of Bobo Anae. You see Mendenhall keeps Doman around and says: "Listen you pharisitical armchair dipshits, you make my life hell because we only win 10 games and lose to really good teams I will run Bobo off again and you will be stuck with Brandon Doman as your OC once again...so ask yourself if you are feeling lucky today?"

Saying that I think that Doman provides many benefits to the BYU program. I would prefer he work with a different position than QB. In my world BYU would bring in Crowton as the qb coach and as a voice of innovation/unorthodoxy to help Anae in this area while Anae and his heavy emphasis on execution continues to be the boss. That way a competent voice could recommend some things BYU could do to be less predictable but Anae can weigh to what extent the lack of predictability will disrupt BYU's execution. Move Doman to coach tight ends. Have Atauia coach runningbacks and Cahoon to coach the WRs. I gotta think an OC in Canada doesn't make a great deal more than a position coach at one college footballs most vaunted passing programs of intercollegiate football competitions? Buuuut, I guess I can live with Anae, Atuaia, Doman, Cahoon and Dupaix.

Is Vai Sikahema finally happy? Sounds like he was Holmoe's consultant in mapping this out. Holmoe did better than Bronco with the offense BYU had until Bronco ran off Holmoe's forced hire.

Thems my thoughts.

Lot's of words to say, BYU's future is a crap shoot.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
          Whose future isn't? Is there any logical reason to not believe that with Anae BYU will return to beating the teams it should and losing to the teams it should? You can look out to project BYU's schedule and see that 8-10 win seasons are likely to follow pretty consistently.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Whose future isn't? Is there any logical reason to not believe that with Anae BYU will return to beating the teams it should and losing to the teams it should? You can look out to project BYU's schedule and see that 8-10 win seasons are likely to follow pretty consistently.
            No reason at all to not think we will get back to winning 8-10 games a year, talk about a NC sometime in our future, consistently lose to better teams, maybe, just maybe win a couple of the BYU/Utah games. Whoopee weazle shit.

Here is what I would like to know. What are the odds in the future that when two LDS born and raised kids get drafted in the first round at least 1 of them will have played for BYU?

Comment

No reason at all to not think we will get back to winning 8-10 games a year, talk about a NC sometime in our future, consistently lose to better teams, maybe, just maybe win a couple of the BYU/Utah games. Whoopee weazle shit.

Here is what I would like to know. What are the odds in the future that when two LDS born and raised kids get drafted in the first round at least 1 of them will have played for BYU?
              First, you would have to find how many times in the history of mankind, at least two LDS players were drafted in the 1st round. Once you have identified that number, then it will be less difficult to find the odds to your question.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                First, you would have to find how many times in the history of mankind, at least two LDS players were drafted in the 1st round. Once you have identified that number, then it will be less difficult to find the odds to your question.
                OK, change the word "when" to "if" smartass.

Comment

I think you are looking for reasons to be a pussy. Do you think that if Manti and Star played for BYU this year would have gone significantly different. The reality is not every LDS kid wants to go to BYU and there is nothing Tom Holmoe, Bronco, you, me, President Samuelson or God can do about that. You can whine and pull string but the fact of the matter is kids want to go play for Notre Dame. The Star issue might have been avoided and perhaps the movement BYU is making wrt to Poly's might actually improve and perhaps allow BYU to land the next Star.

You are right that BYU is not likely to win a NC but they might just finally get over the hump and get to a BCS bowl. Or they might not.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      I smiled at that, too.

Comment

No kidding. Verbal diarrhea is a good description of that post.

Comment

I think you are looking for reasons to be a pussy. Do you think that if Manti and Star played for BYU this year would have gone significantly different.
                          I think having both Star and Manti would have fixed our offensive woes...
                          Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                          - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                          - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

I think you are looking for reasons to be a pussy. Do you think that if Manti and Star played for BYU this year would have gone significantly different. The reality is not every LDS kid wants to go to BYU and there is nothing Tom Holmoe, Bronco, you, me, President Samuelson or God can do about that. You can whine and pull string but the fact of the matter is kids want to go play for Notre Dame. The Star issue might have been avoided and perhaps the movement BYU is making wrt to Poly's might actually improve and perhaps allow BYU to land the next Star.

You are right that BYU is not likely to win a NC but they might just finally get over the hump and get to a BCS bowl. Or they might not.
                            Just imagine -- two top ten picks and wherever Ziggy lands in the first round. And then Van Noy would have been a second round pick this year had he entered it. Three first round picks and a second round pick all from your defense? That's Alabama and Miami 2002 territory.

It's more realistic to think about what BYU could have accomplished this year with a competent offensive coordinator -- and that includes a very possible win over the current team that is #1. BYU squandered its best defense ever.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

OK, change the word "when" to "if" smartass.
                              Off the point a bit, but weren't Shawn Knight and Jason Buck (first rounders in '87) both LDS kids? And if one included the NFL Supplemental Draft, BYU had three first rounders in '84 (Shell, Young and Hudson).

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                                Just imagine -- two top ten picks and wherever Ziggy lands in the first round. And then Van Noy would have been a second round pick this year had he entered it. Three first round picks and a second round pick all from your defense? That's Alabama and Miami 2002 territory.

It's more realistic to think about what BYU could have accomplished this year with a competent offensive coordinator -- and that includes a very possible win over the current team that is #1. BYU squandered its best defense ever.
                                The one saving grace from this year was Manti did not win the Heisman. I am one of the last to get petty, but that might have pushed me over the edge.

Clearly BYU needs to do better wrt Poly recruiting. There are problems much deeper than just the faces representing BYU, and perhaps with the conference affiliation and other deeper institutional challenges BYU will never get elite mormon kids with other options. But it seems to me that BYU is making some efforts to improve. Sometimes I am consigned to conclude that Bronco is just a lightning rod for where it is all going.

But from a simplistic perspective I think Anae is a better OC than Brandon Doman and a better OC than 60% of the OCs in FBS. I like this move for that reason alone.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                                X