Thanks Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    NPR had a little piece today on the dangerous levels of junk in the air in Utah. It must be bad down there this year.
    Arden Pope is probably preparing another scathing article for NEJM.

via a galaxy s3 far far away
    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Comment

NPR had a little piece today on the dangerous levels of junk in the air in Utah. It must be bad down there this year.
      Right now the PM 2.5 in SLC is around 45 ug/m3, and around 86 mg/m3. SLC would have complied with the 1997 24 hr standard of 65, but the standard is now 35.

still, we are nowhere near the PM2.5 of 500 ug/m3 that Ching sees on a regular basis in its major cities (sometimes as high as 900), so that is something I guess.

I am interested to know if the NPR piece mentioned the unique geometry and affect temperature inversions have on it or if it was mostly targeting Utah as a polluter.

The wasatch front is a victim of weather and geometry regarding air pollution. I doubt that we send more pollution into the air per capita than other comparable urban areas.

Comment

I work with a guy who thinks that all state and county roads and freeways should be shut down anytime it is a red air day. And when he says shut down, he means to the point that you wouldn't even be able to cross State Street. He feels like the reduced driving would clean the air up immediately and this would only have to happen maybe once or twice a month.

He says that there is an economic impact - that businesses that visit Utah during an inversion decide not to move here due to the conditions. Yet somehow he doesn't think that forcing them to close down their operations several times a year due to these same conditions would deter them from coming - also having an economic impact. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
          Right now the PM 2.5 in SLC is around 45 ug/m3, and around 86 mg/m3. SLC would have complied with the 1997 24 hr standard of 65, but the standard is now 35.

still, we are nowhere near the PM2.5 of 500 ug/m3 that Ching sees on a regular basis in its major cities (sometimes as high as 900), so that is something I guess.

I am interested to know if the NPR piece mentioned the unique geometry and affect temperature inversions have on it or if it was mostly targeting Utah as a polluter.

The wasatch front is a victim of weather and geometry regarding air pollution. I doubt that we send more pollution into the air per capita than other comparable urban areas.
          By geometry do you mean geography? Or is it something to do with the angles of the mountin slopes?
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

When we lived at 1777 Oak Lane, we could see inversion below us, a full 300 feet higher than University Ave. Now, I'm guessing the inversion is much higher than our old address.
            Last edited by clackamascoug; 01-24-2013, 10:01 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              By geometry do you mean geography? Or is it something to do with the angles of the mountin slopes?
              Take your pick. The shape of the valleys creating a depression in which cold air can congregate.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I wonder if the Indians had their own version of NPR.

This Valley was named or referenced to as "smoke" valley. I wonder if their version of NPR would come on during the periods it was really smokey and advocate for a ban on farting?

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Take your pick. The shape of the valleys creating a depression in which cold air can congregate.
                  Thanks JL. Yes creek, I was indeed refering to the geometric shape of the "bowl" that we live in.

Comment

Utah ranked #4 in this year's well-being index.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ell-being.html

The state — ranked fourth in the latest 2012 report — bested its scores from last year, moving up one notch on a scale that averages responses from more than 350,500 nationwide assessments of well-being. The index measures six domains of well-being, including perceived quality of life now and in the future, physical and emotional health, various healthy behaviors, perception of work environment, and basic access to necessities — such as food, shelter and health care.
                    Utah's first-, third- and seventh-largest cities, Salt Lake City, Provo/Orem and Ogden/Clearfield, also ranked high among 189 community counterparts surveyed in the report, placing seventh, fourth and 40th, respectively.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Awesome. Congratulations to the Utahns in our midst and your superior well being.

Comment

This is easy to explain. Mormonism is the path to happines. Therefore being a good Mormon = being happy. So that's how you respond to the survey, even if you are popping Xanax all day long and miserable. If there is one thing Mormons are good at it's putting on the game face!
                        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Not to rain on Utah's parade, but you did hurt beavers when your pipe exploded.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...llard-Bay.html

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                            This is easy to explain. Mormonism is the path to happines. Therefore being a good Mormon = being happy. So that's how you respond to the survey, even if you are popping Xanax all day long and miserable. If there is one thing Mormons are good at it's putting on the game face!
                            Stupid Mormons. They are so happy they don't realize how miserable they are.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              Awesome. Congratulations to the Utahns in our midst and your superior well being.
                              You're welcome! Sorry about the beavers.

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                                Apparently misery results in longer life expectancy. If that isn't a "Eureka!" moment, I don't know what is.
                                Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Working...
                                X