No Home Teaching = No Temple Recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    My home teachers haven't been inside of my house in 2.5 years and yet they report themselves as 50% home teachers

In all honesty, this seems to be the best solution. Don't visit and count it. Win/win
    Right after my little scrape, the HPG group leader asked me to help set up a spreadsheet to automate their HT reporting. I was surprised to learn that my home teachers had reported 100% for the prior two years in spite rarely making any contact at all.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Right after my little scrape, the HPG group leader asked me to help set up a spreadsheet to automate their HT reporting. I was surprised to learn that my home teachers had reported 100% for the prior two years in spite rarely making any contact at all.
      I have never been visited by a home teacher since moving into my current ward more than 18 months ago. Fort the first year in this ward, I was about a 50% home teacher, mainly due to my annoying companion who wanted to go every month. His eagerness combined with my sloth made for a nice 50% compromise.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I got into a scrape with my HP group leadership 3-4 years ago. I mentioned that I liked to do a variety of things with my families, including inviting the families over for BBQ or ice cream, dinner in the park up the canyon, cookie decorating with the kids, etc. They (one in particular) told me that I could go on doing that, but unless I reported an in-home visit with a lesson and a prayer, they weren't going to count it as home teaching. I laughed and told him I couldn't care less whether or not he "counted" my home teaching. He reported me to the bishop and the bishop told him to knock it off.
        If my home teacher required me to give a lesson and a prayer then my families wouldn't invite us back... "less active" families (as in come to church once a year) don't care for that stuff. They also don't like us coming every month so 2-4 times a year is 100% HT'ing for us.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Or the district leader for that companionship assumed they were visiting, and just put in the visits monthly. That is what I see more often, especially for presidencies that have been in a while. This usually surfaces when new leadership is called and they are all gung ho to do things the "right way".

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            Nope, I gotta stand behind my post. Some sisters live on Facebook. If they dont write about it on FB, it didn't happen. If I follow their posts and their kids posts, I know more about what is happening in their lives (both good and bad) than if I visit once a month.

Actually, I'm not sure what the purpose of VT is. If it is to support and encourage some sister, FB does it. If it is to spy on their homes to make sure their front parlor is tidy, then a physical visit is the better option.
            None of my friends carefully manicure their facebook posts before sharing and none are diligently seeking to put their best foot forward at all times. Great insight KL.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• harumph all of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                harumph all of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                  Or the district leader for that companionship assumed they were visiting, and just put in the visits monthly. That is what I see more often, especially for presidencies that have been in a while. This usually surfaces when new leadership is called and they are all gung ho to do things the "right way".
                  Bingo. New guy.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Bingo. New guy.
                    Hey, I'm a new guy. Never took that approach.

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      old_g, falafel, moli. I like learning that there are still guys out there that keep their women in check!
                      it's not us, brother hfn, it's the spirit.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• why are elders quorums and relief societies not using google forms for this? our ward uses it, and though i've never reported, i imagine it's pretty easy to use

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          why are elders quorums and relief societies not using google forms for this? our ward uses it, and though i've never reported, i imagine it's pretty easy to use
                          Because in the time that you spent entering something into Google Forms, the HT Supervisor could literally sign into lds.org and check the box. They rolled HT/VT out onto Leader and Clerk Resources last June. It was a blessed day.

Comment

• I really hope that no one implements this policy in my ward. I'd be worried that the efforts to home teach/contact us would increase. So far it has been 1 visit and 1 call from the executive secretary in 18 months. We also get fliers on the door inviting us to various ward events.

My wife did have her visiting teachers show up. She told them she is happy to have them over as friends, but she is not interested in attending church. I'm not sure if they have come back yet.
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                              I really hope that no one implements this policy in my ward. I'd be worried that the efforts to home teach/contact us would increase. So far it has been 1 visit and 1 call from the executive secretary in 18 months. We also get fliers on the door inviting us to various ward events.

My wife did have her visiting teachers show up. She told them she is happy to have them over as friends, but she is not interested in attending church. I'm not sure if they have come back yet.
                              yeah, it's smart to avoid allowing malicious people like that into your home.

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                                I really hope that no one implements this policy in my ward. I'd be worried that the efforts to home teach/contact us would increase. So far it has been 1 visit and 1 call from the executive secretary in 18 months. We also get fliers on the door inviting us to various ward events.

You can be invisible if you wish it.
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X