Water Leak Caused My Ceiling to Collapse on My Bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Leak Caused My Ceiling to Collapse on My Bed

So last night we were asleep, Ma in my kerchief an I in my cap, when water started pouring from the ceiling, right on to me in bed at the stroke of midnight. I looked up to see the paint bubbled, an the dry wall starting to bow. Rushing upstairs, I found a leak in the kids bathroom under the vanity, and shut the water off to those lines. Then I came down, poked a hole in the ceiling and tried to get the water to drain before it caused anymore damage.

By 2:00, we'd cleaned up the bed and had drip buckets in place and I laid down in the recliner to sleep when I heard a crash. The drywall had collapsed, leaving a gaping hole in the ceiling and blow-in insulation covering our room.

Here's the hole in the ceiling above the bed.

This is the bed after most of the insulation is cleaned off, but the drip buckets still in place.

Finally, my temporary fixit job. I grabbed some osb scraps from the garage and screwed them to the ceiling trusses. The water lines are on the other side of a structural beam that runs on the far side of the osb. The water hit the dry wall, found a way under the beam, and leaked through the ceiling where there is nothing but attic above it. Because the attic is so cold I tried to poke as much insulation back next to the beam to keep the water lines on the other side from freezing. Done by 5 am, and this really sucks. The good thing is that I called my insurance agent and it's covered under my homeowner's policy.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Nasty. As an undergrad, our apartment (Le Chateau, a dump at the corner of 800 N and 500 E, has a similar problem due to a roof leak. The ceiling slowly bowed over the course of a few days, and the landlord ignored our entreaties for repairs. One afternoon, one of my roommates, who was lying on his bed underneath the bowing ceiling, called out for help just as the ceiling let go with a loud crash. We found him under a blanket of wet sheetrock.

Fortunately, we had friends at the Daily Universe and they ran a story with a large photo of my roommate pointing to the huge hole in the ceiling, under the headline, "Roof Lets Go at Le Chateau." The landlord rushed to help about a week later.

Glad you were able to cheat death.

Comment

Did the mirror break when it dropped from the ceiling?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        Nasty. As an undergrad, our apartment (Le Chateau, a dump at the corner of 800 N and 500 E, has a similar problem due to a roof leak. The ceiling slowly bowed over the course of a few days, and the landlord ignored our entreaties for repairs. One afternoon, one of my roommates, who was lying on his bed underneath the bowing ceiling, called out for help just as the ceiling let go with a loud crash. We found him under a blanket of wet sheetrock.

Fortunately, we had friends at the Daily Universe and they ran a story with a large photo of my roommate pointing to the huge hole in the ceiling, under the headline, "Roof Lets Go at Le Chateau." The landlord rushed to help about a week later.

My BIL owns Le Chateau. Been in his family for 50 years. Yes, I'd classify him as a slum lord. Good Story.

Comment

The landlord rushed to help about a week later.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Holy crap, Marie. My first apartment at BYU was in Le Chateau.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
              Did the mirror break when it dropped from the ceiling?
              Funny. No mirrors on our ceiling, but we do have this sign:

sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post

You make my heart proud. Another fellow celestial being.

Last edited by clackamascoug; 12-24-2012, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Clack getting even freakier with the furry link
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                    X