Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: KVN Thread

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Default KVN Thread

Thanks for the memories.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

If you had a chance to listen to the press conference you got to hear a humble guy deflect each and every question or comment directed as his outstanding play. What a game. What a stud. You will be missed, KVN.

(Bronco also joked that at least for once Kyle caught a ball that hit him in the hands. Nice to hear Bronco loosen up a bit for a change).
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Easily my favorite player over the last 5 years or so.

Good luck KVN.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueintheface View Post
    If you had a chance to listen to the press conference you got to hear a humble guy deflect each and every question or comment directed as his outstanding play. What a game. What a stud. You will be missed, KVN.

(Bronco also joked that at least for once Kyle caught a ball that hit him in the hands. Nice to hear Bronco loosen up a bit for a change).
    Yeah, I don't think I had ever heard him speak before. My expectations were based off his tweets/fb posts and so were, well, not too high. But he came across as articulate, humble, and very likable. I wish my kid had been awake to see him--he's his favorite player. Mine too, really.

The other part of the story that I really love about him (and I shared with my wife, who was similarly impressed) is what happened when he got into trouble. He must have had plenty of offers to ditch BYU. With the Dallas Cowboys tragedy in the news, it makes me all the more proud of both him and the program.
    Last edited by ERCougar; 12-21-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Did he announce he is going to the NFL?

I expect him to do so, but still hold out a glimmer of hope that he won't.

But I'm afraid this game was God's way of telling him to go. He was telling Kyle "you can't top this, so it's time to go"...

Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreCoug View Post

But I'm afraid this game was God's way of telling him to go. He was telling Kyle "you can't top this, so it's time to go"...
    KVN didn't sound all that positive about going pro, and Bronco made a detailed plea for him to stay, saying he wasn't quite mature enough yet and there were a lot of things left for him to learn that he could best achieve at BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreCoug View Post

IMO, KVN should go, next year's defense will not likely top this year's D. There's not a whole lot of upside for staying and a whole lot of downside.
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

He was awesome last night, and has been for his whole career. He will be missed.

Stringpuller to the stars

God bless him, he was one of the greats.
    I think, perhaps, the only person who hates BYU fans more than ute fans hate BYU fans, is Bronco Mendenhall.
    -smokymountainrain

Menden Hall Hates Me.

Quote Originally Posted by dixdog View Post
    KVN didn't sound all that positive about going pro, and Bronco made a detailed plea for him to stay, saying he wasn't quite mature enough yet and there were a lot of things left for him to learn that he could best achieve at BYU.
    Of course Bronco would say that.

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCoug View Post
    Of course Bronco would say that.
    A coach wouldn't be doing his job unless he tried to get his best players to play for him as long as possible.

I don't care what's in KVN's best interest, I want him at BYU as long as possible because it makes them a better team.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    I don't care what's in KVN's best interest, I want him at BYU as long as possible because it makes them a better team.
    I care a lot more about KVN's interest than I do about what will already be a crappy team next year.

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    I care a lot more about KVN's interest than I do about what will already be a crappy team next year.
    All the more reason to have him on the team to reduce the level of suckitude.

Word is Kyle Van Noy/LB/BYU got 3rd round grade; consensus from league insiders is he should enter draft for a # of reasons- could go 1st
    Further; scouts say based off the Poinsettia Bowl both Kyle Van Noy and Ziggy Ansah are 1st rounders...Brandon Brown/T a 3rd...
    http://twitter.com/TonyPauline

Growing up loving college football I always thought I would stay four years if I was lucky enough to play college ball. Because what's greater than CFB, right?

But if I had a son in KVN's position, I'd tell him to go get paid. Financial security is great thing and his stock may never be higher. As a fan I'd be ecstatic if he came back but I expect him to leave. Either way, thanks for the great memories, Kyle.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Several sources on Twitter saying KVN has decided to return to BYU for Senior season.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Several sources on Twitter saying KVN has decided to return to BYU for Senior season.
    He should definitely go pro.

Sent from a Jelly Bean
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.

Yes, including Alex Kuresa.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Quote Originally Posted by lambdacoug View Post
    He should definitely go pro.

Sent from a Jelly Bean
    I guess "should" depends on what motivates him. I'd certainly tell him to go pro if he was my little brother - but maybe dude thinks he's answering a higher call (like the fact that he views Bronco as a kind of father figure).
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Very little upside for a lot of risk.

Quote Originally Posted by oxcoug View Post
    I guess "should" depends on what motivates him. I'd certainly tell him to go pro if he was my little brother - but maybe dude thinks he's answering a higher call (like the fact that he views Bronco as a kind of father figure).
    I think he knows BYU could have been much better this past year and he feels he has some unfinished buisness. Or it might be as simple as the kid really likes playing college ball and going to BYU.

Either way, it is the best recruit Bronco could have landed. The loss of Davion Orphey is unfortunate but this defense has the makings of another great one in Provo. Move Spencer Hadley back to the middle and give me an OLB tandem of Alani Fua and Kyle Van Noy. Uani Unga and Hadley in the middle. DL of Manu, Dulan and Bronson Kaufusi. Two great safeties in Craig Bills and Sorenson and one solid CB in Jordan Johnson and who knows else out there. Concerned about base corner and whoever ends up in the middle of the DL, but in my experience it is rare when BYU has real crappy interior DL play - at a minimum Manu will be serviceable. The only time I saw it seemed to be 2001 and 2008. We aren't due for crappy intereior DL play until 2015.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by oxcoug View Post
    Sure, but if goes now, he'd likely get a nice fat paycheck. Coming back to finish his degree and be taught the defensive coaching ropes by BM is probably going to always be an option for KVN. IMO the risk of him staying outweighs the benefits of him leaving. I'd love to see him stay, but it would royally suck if he got hurt. I guess that'd just accelerate his move to coaching. Maybe that wouldn't be so terrible.

Sent from a Jelly Bean
    - Howard Aiken

Great news for the team, but doesn't feel like the right move.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Great news for the team, but doesn't feel like the right move.
    It's the right move and it's a win-win for him and BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
    It's the right move and it's a win-win for him and BYU.
    I'm not taking a shot at you but why is it definitively 'the right move'? If true, I'm elated as a fan, but while he has areas in which he needs to improve, I'm not sure he makes those in the college ranks. Seems like the wrong move given his grade.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    I think he knows BYU could have been much better this past year and he feels he has some unfinished buisness. Or it might be as simple as the kid really likes playing college ball and going to BYU.

Either way, it is the best recruit Bronco could have landed. The loss of Davion Orphey is unfortunate but this defense has the makings of another great one in Provo. Move Spencer Hadley back to the middle and give me an OLB tandem of Alani Fua and Kyle Van Noy. Uani Unga and Hadley in the middle. DL of Manu, Dulan and Bronson Kaufusi. Two great safeties in Craig Bills and Sorenson and one solid CB in Jordan Johnson and who knows else out there. Concerned about base corner and whoever ends up in the middle of the DL, but in my experience it is rare when BYU has real crappy interior DL play - at a minimum Manu will be serviceable. The only time I saw it seemed to be 2001 and 2008. We aren't due for crappy intereior DL play until 2015.
    Trammell on paper is going to be the best cb option. I don't think Dulan is coming back though. And Brown is headed on a mission before he plays so maybe Crichton or Marques Johnson in the middle of the dl?
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Quote Originally Posted by Blueintheface View Post
    I'm not taking a shot at you but why is it definitively 'the right move'? If true, I'm elated as a fan, but while he has areas in which he needs to improve, I'm not sure he makes those in the college ranks. Seems like the wrong move given his grade.
    He's twenty to thirty pounds light for his position. An extra year of bulking up will enhance his prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    He's twenty to thirty pounds light for his position. An extra year of bulking up will enhance his prospects.
    It's the right move for BYU but I am skeptical that KVN is doing this to improve his draft position. He'd go in the mid-second to mid-third round as it is right now which means he'd get something in the neighborhood of a $1M signing bonus and a $700K-ish salary as a rookie. At that rate even playing 1-2 years in the NFL can put someone who plans on very strong financial footing for a long time to come.

Even if he puts on weight and improves his run-stopping bonafides, he's going to be w/o Ziggy and Fuga next year which means he'll be getting a lot more attention in blocking schemes than he wants - and I would guess that his sack production isn't going to be where it was this year.

I'll be surprised if KVN ends up anywhere higher than the second round next year and he could end up lower.

But - I'd expect that he knows that and that a higher draft position isn't what's motivating him to stay. I think he is still, in part, paying down a debt of gratitude to Bronco.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī