The Official "Real" Wrestling thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    After our third submission, the editor of our yearbook kicked me and my friend Norman off the wrestling pages' drafts. Our captions were "inappropriate."
    I bet it involved bananas...

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
      Nikuman's high school is the mecca of high school wrestling.
      Originally posted by nikuman View Post
      OUR high school. You went there too.

Are they still good? Who is the coach now? I haven't really paid attention to them recently..

My brother went to Pleasant Grove (His Jr. and Sr. year. Battled your school often. Him and the older Sanderson bro used to battle at all the USA Wrestling Tourney's every year.) when they were pretty up there. He was there with the Blaines bro's who were supposed to be really good, but my brother ended up doing better then anyone else who went there..

Comment

Nobody's posted this yet? Sad.
        [YOUTUBE]BvTNyKIGXiI[/YOUTUBE]
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
          Are they still good? Who is the coach now? I haven't really paid attention to them recently..
          No idea and no idea. I doubt they are as good as there were back in the day when Nik and I roamed the halls rarely saying a word to each other.

Comment

Big match tonight. Ohio St.#4 vs. Iowa#5.. Will be on the Big Ten network..

Wishes I had it

Comment

For you guys from the Heber area. Not sure if you saw this or if you know the family.. So sad to hear about this..

http://fox13now.com/2013/01/18/searc...ter-avalanche/

Comment

In Utah Wrestling news: "The Rumble"(Utah's largest HS Wrestling Tournament which included 68 Teams this year and several from out of the state) took place this past weekend.

Maple Mountain won the tourney. My brother's team came down from Boise and took 3rd. They did have 3 starters not in the line-up for this tourney. He sent them to another tourney in Idaho Falls this same weekend. The surely would of took 2nd and made it closer against them for 1st place. Maple Mountain is look tough though..

He had 5 guys in the finals but 1 Champ (Hayden Tuma ranked nationally #1 at his weight). He beat Jed Mellen. Both were Reno Champs this year but were at different weights.

More info..

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/hi...ment_form=true

Comment

How would you handle this situation.

My 5 year old is in a wrestling club its his first year. They meet tues and thurs nights for the past two weeks on Thursday I cant take him and my wife just had a kid so my mother in law has been taking him.

Back in November when it started on the first practice he had some real anxiety crying and running for the door. Well I forced him to practice and he has loved it ever since.

Fast forward to yesterday I signed him up for his first tournament this weekend. I can see the anxiety wheels turning as he was telling me he wasnt ready.

Well my mother in law takes him to wrestling and he gets paired with 10 year old (never happened before and is really odd as there a tons of kids his age and size) and gets thrown down and hurts his back. He goes in to anxiety mode and My MIL takes him home 10 minutes early.

Do I email the coaches? Do I bitch them out about putting a 10 year old with my son? any other advice?

BTW he is going to the tournament on saturday.
                  "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I think it is fine to talk to the coach and find out what happened since you were not able to take him. However, is there more to the story? Did he just run up to your MIL and did they just leave? Did the coach have any time to talk to him or your MIL if he was hurt? I am just wondering if she just took off before allowing him to calm down and speak to his coaches etc. Which did not give the coach time to handle the situation.

My son had a similar situation happen to him where he was paired with bigger and older kids. I was not sure why but left it alone. I came and observed practice one time and came to the realization why they paired him up.. He was beating up the kids his size and it was not pushing him to a higher level. So in an effort to get him competition at his level they paired him up with the older/bigger kids. Sure he make take his lumps now but it will make him a better wrestler when he goes to a tournament and faces kids his size.. He will be more confident.

I will say, I have not taken my son to a tournament yet. He is 8 years old. Part of that is in the club he participates with they hold tournaments on Sunday. However, I have found other open tournaments that are held on Sunday that I plan to take him too.. But I see no need to rush it. He enjoys the practices..

I attended my first tournaments about 5 years old if not a little younger. I had the same anxiety issues.

Comment

I think it is fine to talk to the coach and find out what happened since you were not able to take him. However, is there more to the story? Did he just run up to your MIL and did they just leave? Did the coach have any time to talk to him or your MIL if he was hurt? I am just wondering if she just took off before allowing him to calm down and speak to his coaches etc. Which did not give the coach time to handle the situation.

My son had a similar situation happen to him where he was paired with bigger and older kids. I was not sure why but left it alone. I came and observed practice one time and came to the realization why they paired him up.. He was beating up the kids his size and it was not pushing him to a higher level. So in an effort to get him competition at his level they paired him up with the older/bigger kids. Sure he make take his lumps now but it will make him a better wrestler when he goes to a tournament and faces kids his size.. He will be more confident.

I will say, I have not taken my son to a tournament yet. He is 8 years old. Part of that is in the club he participates with they hold tournaments on Sunday. However, I have found other open tournaments that are held on Sunday that I plan to take him too.. But I see no need to rush it. He enjoys the practices..

I attended my first tournaments about 5 years old if not a little younger. I had the same anxiety issues.
                      There are 4 kids he is usually paired with. 2 are 5 and he can be forceful around them. The other 2 are 6 and have a year experience. He can hang with them but he by no means dominates them. The club has ~40 kids from 5-10. the coach did try and stop them but he had gone into full panic mode and my MIL didn't know what to do. She called my wife and my wife told them to come home.
                      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                        There are 4 kids he is usually paired with. 2 are 5 and he can be forceful around them. The other 2 are 6 and have a year experience. He can hang with them but he by no means dominates them. The club has ~40 kids from 5-10. the coach did try and stop them but he had gone into full panic mode and my MIL didn't know what to do. She called my wife and my wife told them to come home.
                        He's probably expecting to have a conversation with you at the next practice.. I would just talk to him then...

Comment

For you guys from the Heber area. Not sure if you saw this or if you know the family.. So sad to hear about this..

http://fox13now.com/2013/01/18/searc...ter-avalanche/
                          Just saw this. Wow. I believe I went to HS with the parents. Sad.
                          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                            Just saw this. Wow. I believe I went to HS with the parents. Sad.
                            I don't recognize the parents names (certainly I recognize the last name), but yeah, incredibly sad.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                              I don't recognize the parents names (certainly I recognize the last name), but yeah, incredibly sad.
                              I think Jason was a year older than us. I think the wife's maiden name is Hardman - or am I off there?
                              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

We went to his first tournament today. He was the only novice so he had to wrestle kids with experience and who were a year older.

He was pinned by the bracket winner and lost 7-0 to a kid from our club who he wrestle a lot in practice (he beats that same kid 3 out of 10 times). He was a little hesitant at first but he had fun.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                                X