Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouTube shooting injures 4, woman believed to be shooter dead, police say

Police confirmed Tuesday that a woman believed to be a shooter opened fire at YouTube headquarters in San Bruno, California, wounding at least four people before apparently killing herself.

Three people were transported to San Francisco General Hospital, according to a spokesman, including a 36-year-old man in critical condition, a 32-year-old woman in serious condition and a 27-year-old woman in fair condition.

KGO-TV reported the shooter was believed to be a white woman wearing a headscarf and a dark top, but police did not immediately confirm it. Witnesses told KTVU that the suspect shot her boyfriend before killing herself. According to the Los Angeles Times, authorities said the incident did not appear to be terrorism.
    [...]
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/03...alifornia.html

Drumpf sends his thoughts and prayers..

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Fair, well thought out arguments.

https://www.facebook.com/TFPStudentA...5334694254149/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
        Fair, well thought out arguments.

https://www.facebook.com/TFPStudentA...5334694254149/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• OMG... Tim has lost his mind:

Tim Cook won't remove NRA channel from Apple TV: It's 'important' to hear 'alternate view'

You can't have democracy without discourse, Tim Cook said in a recent interview, and that's why the National Rifle Association's channel is staying on Apple TV.
          [...]
          https://www.sfgate.com/technology/ar...t-12822168.php

Think of the stock price, Uncle Tim.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            OMG... Tim has lost his mind:

https://www.sfgate.com/technology/ar...t-12822168.php

Think of the stock price, Uncle Tim.
            I'm a little surprised but happy to see a little sanity stay.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Oops!

Stoneman Douglas teacher arrested after leaving gun in public bathroom

A teacher at the Parkland, Florida, high school where 17 students and teachers were shot to death was arrested for allegedly leaving a loaded gun in a public bathroom.

A homeless man is accused of picking it up and firing it.

According to a Broward County Sheriff's report, Sean Simpson removed his 9mm Glock pistol while using the bathroom at the Deerfield Beach Pier on Sunday and forgot it in the stall when he left to wash his hands.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/12/us/pa...rnd/index.html

Comment

• So - here's a new approach.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/u...-shooting.html

A school district in Erie, Pa., has supplied teachers and other school employees with miniature baseball bats to use as a last resort if confronted with an active shooter.

“We don’t want to be sitting ducks,” William Hall, superintendent of the Millcreek Township School District, said on Wednesday. “We’re not just going to go hide.”

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  Oops!

Stoneman Douglas teacher arrested after leaving gun in public bathroom

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/12/us/pa...rnd/index.html

They're doing it wrong! Only the former Navy sniper HS teachers are to be armed!
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post

I mean, they have a point. If I'm playing zombie mode on Far Cry or COD or something, I imagine I would be MUCH more likely to die sooner if the zombies also had melee weapons.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I don't know anything about this periodical, but this was an interesting article that polled criminologists and economists. Since I tend to approach problems from an economic perspective, it makes sense that my opinions would align with theirs. In short, neither group think more regulation would reduce gun violence, although the two groups had slightly different opinions when it came to specifics.

Combining the responses of economists and criminologists shows that by more than a 2:1 margin researchers view gun-free zones as a magnet for criminals and believe that permit holders are more law-abiding than the average American. These researchers believe by about a 5:1 margin that permitted concealed handguns are more likely to reduce than increase murder rates.
                      sigpic
                      "Outlined against a blue, gray
                      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• but what do they think of the mets’ odds of winning the pennant
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                          I don't know anything about this periodical, but this was an interesting article that polled criminologists and economists. Since I tend to approach problems from an economic perspective, it makes sense that my opinions would align with theirs. In short, neither group think more regulation would reduce gun violence, although the two groups had slightly different opinions when it came to specifics.
                          So I can't remember where we were a few weeks back. I think maybe the airport. There was one of those "no guns" signs that was just a picture of a gun with a circle around it and a line through it like a no smoking sign. My 4 year old daughter asked what it meant. When I told her it meant guns are not allowed inside, she said "oh. So if someone has a gun and wants to come in, they will see the sign and leave it outside, right?"

Sure. Exactly like that.

Comment

I don't know anything about this periodical, but this was an interesting article that polled criminologists and economists. Since I tend to approach problems from an economic perspective, it makes sense that my opinions would align with theirs. In short, neither group think more regulation would reduce gun violence, although the two groups had slightly different opinions when it came to specifics.
                            I would be worried about a selection bias in the data caused by Lott. His response rate isn't terrible, but I think at best you can say is that he's a polarizing guy and that reputation is likely to induce non-random response. He just not the kind of researcher you want running a survey like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                              I would be worried about a selection bias in the data caused by Lott. His response rate isn't terrible, but I think at best you can say is that he's a polarizing guy and that reputation is likely to induce non-random response. He just not the kind of researcher you want running a survey like that.
                              Interesting. It seems like every discipline has a few people that manage to publish research with less than solid methods. As a lay person, I can only try to find reputable periodicals and assume they've done a good job with peer review. Even then there are politics involved. There are some strange cats in academia.

I wondered about bias when I saw the numbers on concealed carry reducing murder rate. It's something I think is likely, but I don't think I'm the norm. Still, I could see economists looking at this from an incentive perspective and coming to that conclusion. In general, the more likely people are to use a gun regularly for other reasons, the more likely they are to believe concealed carry is an effective deterrent. I would suppose that academics as a group are less likely to hunt, etc., so it surprised me to see the results.

I guess the question is how rigorous was the review process. You would know that better than I.
                              sigpic
                              "Outlined against a blue, gray
                              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Interesting. It seems like every discipline has a few people that manage to publish research with less than solid methods. As a lay person, I can only try to find reputable periodicals and assume they've done a good job with peer review. Even then there are politics involved. There are some strange cats in academia.

I wondered about bias when I saw the numbers on concealed carry reducing murder rate. It's something I think is likely, but I don't think I'm the norm. Still, I could see economists looking at this from an incentive perspective and coming to that conclusion. In general, the more likely people are to use a gun regularly for other reasons, the more likely they are to believe concealed carry is an effective deterrent. I would suppose that academics as a group are less likely to hunt, etc., so it surprised me to see the results.

I guess the question is how rigorous was the review process. You would know that better than I.

Sorry, the survey seems fine overall. I think the paper should be more transparent about the journals it drew from gifs its list of economists.

That's not my main concern. My main concern is survey participants know Lott is the author. His research is controversial so his far from an ideal person to author surveys. His identity by itself can create response bias.

Comment

Working...
                                X