Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
    How are these teachers able to get away with carrying if it's against policy?

She may state she doesn't feel more safe but I'd wager if an active shooter came to her school, and escape wasn't an immediate option, she'd rather get behind those who could possibly provide a defense.
    I agree that I'd rather have someone with a gun nearby than be completely defenseless, but the district policy I'm talking about is different. Participating teachers will have to pass courses and train with the local law enforcement. They will essentially be deputized. Also, while I don't know the details, there will be security measures regarding handgun access.

I agree with wuap, that I think it's a terrible idea for students to be armed, but I don't know anybody that would be on board with that. With that said, I think every vehicle in the student lot had a gun in it when I was in high school - especially in the fall.

The sad reality is that there are too many guns to confiscate them all, and somehow, a mass murder culture has developed in our society that will be difficult to change. I don't really know of any good solutions.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

How are these teachers able to get away with carrying if it's against policy?
      Even teachers can exercise poor judgement and be overly paranoid?

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
        Even teachers can exercise poor judgement and be overly paranoid?
        Would it be poor judgement if it wasn't against policy?

In the current climate I don't buy the paranoia argument. A vast majority of those who carry concealed are reasonable people.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          I agree that I'd rather have someone with a gun nearby than be completely defenseless, but the district policy I'm talking about is different. Participating teachers will have to pass courses and train with the local law enforcement. They will essentially be deputized. Also, while I don't know the details, there will be security measures regarding handgun access.

I agree with wuap, that I think it's a terrible idea for students to be armed, but I don't know anybody that would be on board with that. With that said, I think every vehicle in the student lot had a gun in it when I was in high school - especially in the fall.

The sad reality is that there are too many guns to confiscate them all, and somehow, a mass murder culture has developed in our society that will be difficult to change. I don't really know of any good solutions.
          I agree that there should be added training for teachers who want to carry concealed. My ex-GF who carries concealed at school has taken a couple of classes from Front Sight near LV.

Comment

• anybody who thinks that what is missing in this recipe is a greater presence of gun culture needs to attend a gun show or two. truly one of the most horrific displays of racism, ignorance, bigotry and paranoia one can experience. ironic that one of the most compelling arguments against increased gun ownership is the character of people who tend to zealously advocate increased gun ownership. super dell is not an outlier.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I agree that there should be added training for teachers who want to carry concealed. My ex-GF who carries concealed at school has taken a couple of classes from Front Sight near LV.
              front sight is the ultimate tough guy gi joe fantasy. those guys are grade a emasculated losers who fetishize shooting brown people.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                front sight is the ultimate tough guy gi joe fantasy. those guys are grade a emasculated losers who fetishize shooting brown people.
                Have you trained there?

Comment

Have you trained there?
                  yes

Comment

yes
                    Was the training good or did your natural snobbery take over and inform the opinion posted above?

I've never trained there but I have numerous friends and family, none of whom have redneck or gun nut tendencies, who give the place rave reviews. A couple of these friends are cops.

Comment

Would it be poor judgement if it wasn't against policy?

In the current climate I don't buy the paranoia argument. A vast majority of those who carry concealed are reasonable people.
                      I was joking. Kind of.

Comment

I've never had the desire to do front sight. I know a lot of people who have - some of them are brown and returned safely - but it doesn't seem worth the time for me. It's better than nothing, I suppose. The friends I have who went to it went more for entertainment than anything else.

I don't doubt you when you relate your experiences, but at least in this area, the gun show people themselves are outliers. I think almost everyone I know owns a gun, and other than an old guy who is a collector, I don't know anybody who goes to gun shows. I agree with you that the hyper-paranoid prepper nuts are dangerous. I don't know any teachers who would fit the wannabe Rambo characterization, though.
                        sigpic
                        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Was the training good or did your natural snobbery take over and inform the opinion posted above?

I've never trained there but I have numerous friends and family, none of whom have redneck or gun nut tendencies, who give the place rave reviews. A couple of these friends are cops.
                          it was a bunch of middle aged white guys on vacation from their cubicles dressed in tacticool gear engaging in role play and fetishizing shooting somebody who looks different than them. it's a way for men who are impotent beta losers in real life to feel like they have one iota of control and avoid getting bossed around by their wives and assistant regional managers for a weekend.

Comment

it was a bunch of middle aged white guys on vacation from their cubicles dressed in tacticool gear engaging in role play and fetishizing shooting somebody who looks different than them. it's a way for men who are impotent beta losers in real life to feel like they have one iota of control and avoid getting bossed around by their wives and assistant regional managers for a weekend.
                            Self-reflection is healthy. Good for you.
                            sigpic
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I've never had the desire to do front sight. I know a lot of people who have - some of them are brown and returned safely - but it doesn't seem worth the time for me. It's better than nothing, I suppose. The friends I have who went to it went more for entertainment than anything else.
                              I've head friends offer to take me under some membership deal but I always decline as I consider myself proficient for my needs. Sometimes I'll hit Vegas with my friends and go golfing while they go out to train.

I agree with OG about the gun show culture. The people at those are typically on the fringe.

Comment

I've not seen any evidence that mass shootings are more likely or more deadly if they occur in a place where the public is likely to be armed, let alone overwhelming evidence. I guess if you say so...
                                I think you have a blind spot here.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X