Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    What utility do single-shot muzzleloaders have in 2018 america? Maybe we should ban them first.
    That's about all I have left.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      Yikes.

If only you could employ similar graphic language to school children being killed, then maybe we could play your moral equivalence game.
      I find abortion and school children being killed both abhorrent.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        and there we go. no more definitional circlejerk and no more frothy mouthed ranting about generalizations and caricatures. what utility do semiautomatic rifles have in 2018 america?
        Why was the 2nd amendment included in the Bill of Rights?

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          What's wrong with calling you the Crock?
          Check the dictionary, man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crockett View Post
            wait so is your argument that the right to bear arms should not be restricted in any respect?
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

wait so is your argument that the right to bear arms should not be restricted in any respect?
              And I quote myself:

Originally posted by Crockett View Post
              I don't think major gun control / confiscation is the answer. I am fine with some reasonable regulations and restrictions that prevent guns getting into the wrong hands. I want to do things that will be effective in protecting schools and children, while protecting our civil right.

Comment

Because the framers believed a well regulated militia was necessary to the security of a free state. Just trying to help...

Seriously, I'm curious how they would chime in on the issue today. I've read countless articles speculating on that point, but I've never been convinced by any of them (and that's on both sides of the argument). That said, I'd like to think they'd laugh at the Libertarian position that opposes any law restricting the ownership, manufacture, or sale of firearms.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Because the framers believed a well regulated militia was necessary to the security of a free state. Just trying to help...

Seriously, I'm curious how they would chime in on the issue today. I've read countless articles speculating on that point, but I've never been convinced by any of them (and that's on both sides of the argument). That said, I'd like to think they'd laugh at the Libertarian position that opposes any law restricting the ownership, manufacture, or sale of firearms.
                  Everybody laughs at libertarians.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

And I quote myself:
                    very helpful. what makes a regulation reasonable? you’re going to have to make a compelling argument for something other than utility vs. risk

Comment

I find abortion and school children being killed both abhorrent.
                      I’m sure you do. But you really saved the inflammatory rhetoric for abortion.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Isn’t it common sense and self-evident that we need to decrease the sheer volume of guns in this country, starting with semiautomatic rifles?

Can 99.99% of people own guns and never intentionally murder another person? Yes! But the more overlap you have between evil/malevolence/mental illness and access to guns the more tragedies you will have. We need to work on all aspects but anybody that thinks ubiquity of guns in this country doesn’t contribute to gun deaths is an idiot.

About the dumbest argument you could ever make against gun control is that the mass shootings are only a small fraction of total gun deaths. Well yeah but hell let’s reduce the ubiquity of guns to keep them away from suicidal impulsive young people also.

It’s like any other disease: a vulnerable individual plus a (gun) exposure equals death. If that kid in Florida can’t get a gun then he doesn’t kill people. It’s that simple.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                          Isn’t it common sense and self-evident that we need to decrease the sheer volume of guns in this country, starting with semiautomatic rifles?

Can 99.99% of people own guns and never intentionally murder another person? Yes! But the more overlap you have between evil/malevolence/mental illness and access to guns the more tragedies you will have. We need to work on all aspects but anybody that thinks ubiquity of guns in this country doesn’t contribute to gun deaths is an idiot.

About the dumbest argument you could ever make against gun control is that the mass shootings are only a small fraction of total gun deaths. Well yeah but hell let’s reduce the ubiquity of guns to keep them away from suicidal impulsive young people also.

It’s like any other disease: a vulnerable individual plus a (gun) exposure equals death. If that kid in Florida can’t get a gun then he doesn’t kill people. It’s that simple.
                          Yes, just like drugs... if kids can’t get the drugs then they can’t get high. Simple.

We need to make guns illegal just like we made drugs illegal and that will solve everything! Never mind that the “gun free zone” signs that didn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Uncle Ted, you are terrible at this.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                              Isn’t it common sense and self-evident that we need to decrease the sheer volume of guns in this country, starting with semiautomatic rifles?

that argument actually only works for contraceptives

Comment

very helpful. what makes a regulation reasonable? you’re going to have to make a compelling argument for something other than utility vs. risk
                                We can debate what's reasonable and where to draw the line, but YOU ASKED "is your argument that the right to bear arms should not be restricted in any respect?" I answered your question: no. I am okay with some degree of restriction, just as there are some limited restrictions on the 1st amendment.

Comment

Working...
                                X