Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Utah Football: 2013 The Crusade for Redemption

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Is there a Ute recruiting thread? I couldn't find one so I'll ask this here.

Who are the big, realistic targets left in this year's class? I know about the Euliss Trinity Trio and Lotulelei, but who else is out there? Also, I'm of the uninformed opinion that Lotulelei is not coming, otherwise he would have pledged already. Any reason to think otherwise?
    There is a Utah recruiting thread here, but it hasn't been updated lately. What I've seen is that they've stocked up on OL additions and have two freshman QBs coming in that look good. According to the UteZone pay site, there are 10 good recruits who haven't made up their minds and who may come to Utah. Lowell Lotuleilei is still undecided and the guys at UteZone say Utah has a good shot.

I don't try to keep close track of recruiting because it's so crazy and unpredictable. Just get the players and we'll see how they play!
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Happily Waiting for Godot Winky Bach's Avatar

The strong DL seems like the bedrock of the Ute D's the last few years.

Is the thought that they will be able to reload this year? If the DL is rebuilding I think 6-6 is the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Winky Bach View Post
    The strong DL seems like the bedrock of the Ute D's the last few years.

Is the thought that they will be able to reload this year? If the DL is rebuilding I think 6-6 is the ceiling.
    Most realistic projections (IMO) have the Utes at 6-6, maybe 7-5 if we have a pleasant surprise along the way. The hard core among us hold out hope for more than 1 pleasant surprise.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Outsider looking in Blueintheface's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Most realistic projections (IMO) have the Utes at 6-6, maybe 7-5 if we have a pleasant surprise along the way. The hard core among us hold out hope for more than 1 pleasant surprise.
    I see the teams (BYU/UTAH) swapping their results from 2012.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

crazy schedule next year for the Utes. Utah doesn't get on a plane, or leave the State the first half of the season. The Arizona on Oct. 19th (game #7) is their 2nd road game of the year and their only road game other than BYU in the first half.

Utah does get two bye's before two big home contests. UCLA and ASU. Probably, need to win one of those games in order to go bowling.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-footb...ittle-brother/

Anyone know who the 15 were that visited the U this past weekend?

Good summary of the recruiting class so far.

I saw on Facebook mention of a late breaking update on Vili Leveni's commitment. Anyone have any insight to what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    I saw on Facebook mention of a late breaking update on Vili Leveni's commitment. Anyone have any insight to what's going on?
    Visiting Oklahoma State

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    that doesn't look to good.

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

Have we ever had a recruit with an offer list like this?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo.../gaius-vaenuku
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

People seem pretty excited about him. It's nice to have some good news!
    ― W.H. Auden

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

I'm sure we have recruited several guys with offer lists like that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    I'm sure we have recruited several guys with offer lists like that one.
    He's a good get. Committed to Utah today, in case you didn't hear.
    ― W.H. Auden

He's a good get. Committed to Utah today, in case you didn't hear.
    He looks like a fantastic recruit. I did hear he had committed.

In fact, I'm excited about him being a Ute.

It looks like we're also continuing the trend of one All Name Team guy per recruiting class.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...-Hunter-130229

The way we ended the 2012 season had me really down, but the continued struggles of the basketball team leave me looking forward to spring camp.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    It looks like we're also continuing the trend of one All Name Team guy per recruiting class.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...-Hunter-130229
    That is one bad ass name.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    He looks like a fantastic recruit. I did hear he had committed.

In fact, I'm excited about him being a Ute.
    Fantastic may be a stretch. While a very good get, fantastic would be to get a guy BYU really also wanted.

If we had really wanted him, he would be signing with us.

Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    Fantastic may be a stretch. While a very good get, fantastic would be to get a guy BYU really also wanted.

True. It has always puzzled me why you guys don't want more fantastic players.

Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post

there's a rumor out there that you guys are extremely difficult to deal with.

Terrell Reese and Nick Marsh are transferring. Those hurt. I was hoping Reese would become a legit starting safety for us - he had the athleticism and size, just needed to learn a new position. I hope Marsh is replaceable - I don't put much faith in kickers.

Dennis Erickson? I guess it could help.

I noticed this nugget:

He is regarded as one of the so-called fathers of the spread offense after he and Jack Elway, John Elway’s father, learned the offense from John Elway’s high school coach and honed it during their time at San Jose State.
    That high school is where all my kids have gone. The football field is John Elway Stadium.
    ― W.H. Auden

Dennis Erickson? I guess it could help.

I noticed this nugget:

That high school is where all my kids have gone. The football field is John Elway Stadium.
    Is it also called John Elway's High School?
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Is it also called John Elway's High School?
    No, but that information is classified. I'd have to kill you.
    ― W.H. Auden

Utes switching to a 3-4 defensive scheme? Interesting move for Whittingham. I wonder if this will be a long-term change. If so, I wonder how that changes recruiting.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Default Re: Utah Football: 2013 The Crusade for Redemption

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Utes switching to a 3-4 defensive scheme? Interesting move for Whittingham. I wonder if this will be a long-term change. If so, I wonder how that changes recruiting.
    I made a comment during the season that we needed to change to it to help combat all the spread team we were facing. I think it helps Nate Fakahafua the most as he was much more effective with his hand of the ground. When I get some more time, i will give more detail to why I think it its a good match for our traditional recruiting limitations.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I made a comment during the season that we needed to change to it to help combat all the spread team we were facing. I think it helps Nate Fakahafua the most as he was much more effective with his hand of the ground. When I get some more time, i will give more detail to why I think it its a good match for our traditional recruiting limitations.
    I'd like to read your take as the conventional wisdom has always been that the 4-3 was well suited to Utah and their recruiting of big poly linemen.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV