Utah Football: 2013 The Crusade for Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Football: 2013 The Crusade for Redemption

Could have gone with the Quest, but that seemed outdated for some reason. I am not going to do a position breakdown until we have a full sense of any comings and goings.

The schedule at first glance:

The Good: 7 home games, 5 conference home games. One of the road games is against WSU, whom we have beaten twice so far, and another against BYU, which is about as good as a lock.

The Bad: pick up Oregon and Stanford and drop Cal and UW.

The Ugly: U of O, U of A, and USC on the road. That is a tough trio of road games.

The balance is that we could be a better team overall, but not see a bump in the results. 7-5 is a realistic finish with the range from 4-8 to 8-4.
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

In two games vs. Arizona St., the Utes have not done a good job of competing. I'd like to see that change in 2013.

It feels like Whit's teams traditionally start slow (both in games and in seasons), and that is something he's got to figure out a way to correct.

Will this team have an offensive identity coming out of spring ball? Year two of Brian Johnson as the OC will be very telling as to whether or not we'll ever see an offensive identity while he's at Utah.

The Utes could make some big strides in recruiting, especially with some guys that could contribute next year, so here's hoping they finish strong and get some of these guys committed.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

I look forward to another losing season in preparation for an even worse 2014. Keep up the bad work utes!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
        The balance is that we could be a better team overall, but not see a bump in the results. 7-5 is a realistic finish with the range from 4-8 to 8-4.
        The Utes have had such high expectations for many years now that it is hard to set my expectations (win-loss) at simply bowl eligiblility, but that is where I have mine pegged at.

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
        In two games vs. Arizona St., the Utes have not done a good job of competing. I'd like to see that change in 2013.
        This is the major difference that I want to see next year. I want us in the game in the 4th quarter. I want solid performances even if it end in a loss.
        Last edited by Sullyute; 12-14-2012, 09:16 AM. Reason: fix quote
        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

[quote=Sullyute;930118]The Utes have had such high expectations for many years now that it is hard to set my expectations (win-loss) at simply bowl eligiblility, but that is where I have mine pegged at.

This is the major difference that I want to see next year. I want us in the game in the 4th quarter. I want solid performances even if it end in a loss.
          I want a marquee win in conference. In fact, I would take 5-7 with a win against Oregon or USC than I would 6-6 where our best win (again) is against BYU. We've got to start making some waves in this league.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
            Could have gone with the Quest, but that seemed outdated for some reason. I am not going to do a position breakdown until we have a full sense of any comings and goings.

The schedule at first glance:

The Good: 7 home games, 5 conference home games. One of the road games is against WSU, whom we have beaten twice so far, and another against BYU, which is about as good as a lock.

The Bad: pick up Oregon and Stanford and drop Cal and UW.

The Ugly: U of O, U of A, and USC on the road. That is a tough trio of road games.

You might want to move Oregon and Stanford into the ugly category. I'm not looking forward to seeing what Chip Kelly does to the Utes next year. We have struggled with ASU spreading the field on us and they don't have even a half the talent of the Ducks.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
              You might want to move Oregon and Stanford into the ugly category. I'm not looking forward to seeing what Chip Kelly does to the Utes next year. We have struggled with ASU spreading the field on us and they don't have even a half the talent of the Ducks.
              It probably won't be Chip Kelly, I bet he moves on to the NFL, but it'll be some other Oregon coach and the results will be the same.
              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Using Real Clear Politics as the model:

Likely Win: Weber State, Colorado, Washington State
                Lean Win: Utah State
                Toss-up: BYU, Oregon State, UCLA, Arizona State
                Lean Loss: Arizona
                Likely Loss: Stanford, Oregon, USC

Looks like 7-5 is the ceiling unless the Utes can pull an Obama and sweep the toss-ups.

Comment

It probably won't be Chip Kelly, I bet he moves on to the NFL, but it'll be some other Oregon coach and the results will be the same.
                  I'm holding out hope that Chip Kelly stays a couple more years to win a MNC at Oregon. I still don't understand why a NFL team wants Chip. If he moves on, I guess I'll just have to live with Chris Petersen winning an MNC for Oregon.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                    I'm holding out hope that Chip Kelly stays a couple more years to win a MNC at Oregon. I still don't understand why a NFL team wants Chip. If he moves on, I guess I'll just have to live with Chris Petersen winning an MNC for Oregon.
                    I bet that if Kelly left they would go with someone on the staff over Peterson. The Duck's offense is unique and the players fit the system perfectly. I just don't think the transition from Kelly to Peterson would be a smooth one.

Comment

This fits here as well as anywhere. A nice honor for Beadles.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/commun...n-of-the-year/
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Joe Kruger declares early for the draft.

I'm surprised. We clearly missed him when he was injured/suspended.
                        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                          Joe Kruger declares early for the draft.

I'm surprised. We clearly missed him when he was injured/suspended.
                          does he even get drafted? Free agent?

Comment

Originally posted by Scorcho View Post
                            does he even get drafted? Free agent?
                            3-4th round. Size and pedigree go a long ways.
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Good thing he waited until after Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                              X