Wear Pants to Church Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    It is not about the pants. That is just the chosen symbol.
    Is it they want the Priesthood?

I never have understood people who want policy changes and then actively go about trying to get policy changed.

These folks have to be "culture mormons" and not really buying into the "only true church" and prophet speaking for God thing. If I were ever that upset about a policy, I would stop going to church or actually have my records removed. I just don't understand why if I didn't "believe", I would care enough to get politically involved. It isn't a political organization.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post

I never have understood people who want policy changes and then actively go about trying to get policy changed.

These folks have to be "culture mormons" and not really buying into the "only true church" and prophet speaking for God thing. If I were ever that upset about a policy, I would stop going to church or actually have my records removed. I just don't understand why if I didn't "believe", I would care.
      It's not about the priesthood per se. It's about their perception of being unequal in the church (one with which I am sympathetic, in case you couldn't tell).

I openly think women should be given the priesthood and think that the statements and writings of Joseph Smith support that concept. But that's not what they are pushing. Yet.
      Last edited by Pheidippides; 12-12-2012, 09:15 AM.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

These folks have to be "culture mormons" and not really buying into the "only true church" and prophet speaking for God thing. If I were ever that upset about a policy, I would stop going to church or actually have my records removed. I just don't understand why if I didn't "believe", I would care enough to get politically involved. It isn't a political organization.
        With the myriad of changes that have happened to supposed eternal truths in the church, certainly you can understand why people would think that priesthood and other concepts might be open to revision.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

This kind of thinking (and ignorance of church history) is precisely the problem.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
            I will join in the effort and wear pants to church this Sunday.
            I think the way a man joins in is by wearing a skirt. just sayin...
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
              It's not about the priesthood per say. It's about their perception of being unequal in the church (one with which I am sympathetic, in case you couldn't tell).

I openly think women should be given the priesthood and think that the statements and writings of Joseph Smith support that concept. But that's not what they are pushing. Yet.
              While I was growing up while from the pulpits equality was preached, that was the only evidence of it in the church structure. Women didn't pray in Sacrament meetings and I don't remember them talking except for missionary fairwells and only the Moms. I heard over and over again the Patriarch of the house.

Yet in reality I saw plenty of my friends Moms running the show except on Sunday. I thought it odd to see so many cases of this amongst my "active" friends families.

While the church isn't nearly as blatant about inequality, I certainly see where one would have that perception. Yet again, I see more often amongst my married friends the wife in charge or at the very least an equal.

On our last golf outing to Mesquite I know of at least 4 guys who had their games completely destroyed by wives calling them up and reaming them for being on a golf trip and not with them. All four very active in the church. The fellows who were non-members or inactive seem actually to be less bullied.

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                With the myriad of changes that have happened to supposed eternal truths in the church, certainly you can understand why people would think that priesthood and other concepts might be open to revision.
                I think his point is he thinks some people just like to bitch and he doesn't get that mindset. If people really are that bothered by the LDS Church's stance go find a church that fits their social perspectives more fully and where they can wear whatever they want any sunday and not just special ones. I don't think '71 cares much for the LDS Church's policy and he likely ignores the specific policies he doesn't care for. But he doesn't expect the Church to change in order to be recreated in the image he prefers.

I don't often talk for him my friends, but when I do I usually say it better than he can!
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

This kind of thinking (and ignorance of church history) is precisely the problem.
                  The problem for you. Your problems are not everyone elses.

Comment

Surprises me too. Speaks volumes I suppose.
                    If you want to be entertained, you should read the comments in the Facebook group. Plenty of questioning of testimonies, etc. Anyone can join.

http://www.facebook.com/events/144815455666087/

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      I think his point is he thinks some people just like to bitch and he doesn't get that mindset. If people really are that bothered by the LDS Church's stance go find a church that fits their social perspectives more fully and where they can wear whatever they want any sunday and not just special ones. I don't think '71 cares much for the LDS Church's policy and he likely ignores the specific policies he doesn't care for. But he doesn't expect the Church to change in order to be recreated in the image he prefers.

I don't often talk for him my friends, but when I do I usually say it better than he can!
                      Yes you do, thanks.

Comment

As it so happens, my light purple shirt is next in the rotation for Sunday. How fortuitous.

Comment

I think his point is he thinks some people just like to bitch and he doesn't get that mindset.
                          I think "people just like to bitch" is an accurate observation about 10% of the time in life. The other 90% it is a dismissive way of saying "I don't really care."

Comment

It is pretty easy to ignore policies that don't negatively impact you.

Somehow the mindset of "Hey, if you don't like one of our policies, just go away" seems completely incompatible with Christianity.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I get that. If it's not working for you, just leave. But I think most people who rail against the church still value it to one degree or another. They would like to feel more comfortable attending, and that's why they clamor for change.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

It is pretty easy to ignore policies that don't negatively impact you.

Somehow the mindset of "Hey, if you don't like one of our policies, just go away" seems completely incompatible with Christianity.
                                Is activism really the best or most appropriate way to go about doing this? It's a church, not a democracy or a social club.

There are all sorts of things about church that bother (and sometimes negatively impact) me, but how I handle it is by choosing not to get that worked up about it.
                                Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Working...
                                X