X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wear Pants to Church Day

PFS:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfa...pants.html.csp

I guess this means if you are against mormon feminism, you should wear a big floofy dress to church on Sunday.

It's a Dining Services issue.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
      PFS:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfa...pants.html.csp

I guess this means if you are against mormon feminism, you should wear a big floofy dress to church on Sunday.
      Maybe Faith and Robin will make the "only made it to Priesthood and Relief Society" once in the month list for December!
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Quite frankly, I'm surprised at the opposition I'm seeing to this. It's not about the pants, of course - as many people have pointed out, some women do that anyway. It's about a lot of women - how many I don't know - being dissatisfied with their role in the church and choosing a relatively benign and harmless way to make that known. (The church response, btw, was very funny because it completely played dumb about this - that's not a criticism). A decade ago GBH himself said that the women don't have the priesthood because there hasn't been the demand for it; this is one way the demand is made.

While I'm not a woman, I'm sensitive to the issue for a few reasons I don't care to go into here. So I will be wearing a purple tie (no kilt - thought it would be too distracting) in support.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Tons of women in PA have been wearing pants to church for years. These women are so behind the times.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            While I'm not a woman, I'm sensitive to the issue for a few reasons I don't care to go into here. So I will be wearing a purple tie (no kilt - thought it would be too distracting) in support.
            I love the "Family Ties" episode where Alex P. Keaton, in an effort to get into Courtney Cox's panties, goes to some feminist march and attempts to get into it.

I will wear a suit, white shirt and a tie. I might ask my daughters if they want to wear pants so that they can rage against the machine.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              Tons of women in PA have been wearing pants to church for years. These women are so behind the times.
              I don't think I've ever seen a woman wear pants to church.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I will join in the effort and wear pants to church this Sunday.
                If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                  Quite frankly, I'm surprised at the opposition I'm seeing to this. It's not about the pants, of course - as many people have pointed out, some women do that anyway.
                  Surprises me too. Speaks volumes I suppose.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    I don't think I've ever seen a woman wear pants to church.
                    I've seen women wear jeans with tank tops get up and bear their testimony. The church was cold that day, my friends!
                    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Surprises me too. Speaks volumes I suppose.
                      I'm not seeing it here, to be clear. I did have a friend from college go bonkers about it. I was struck by the irony (ruling?) of her arguing that women should just understand how the priesthood works and shut up and me arguing the feminist counterpoint.

Comment

The response from the church I saw on KSL was rather benign.

Something to the effect they encourage people to wear their best out of reverence or respect or something like that. However, they do not tell people what to wear.

I was surprised. Out goes "the church encourages" no pants for women and white shirts for men. I wonder how SP's and Bishops who do have a strict dress code take the statement.

Comment

I haven't read a lot about this event, but what's the big deal? Women wear slacks occasionally to our building and no one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            I haven't read a lot about this event, but what's the big deal? Women wear slacks occasionally to our building and no one cares.
                            It is not about the pants. That is just the chosen symbol.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              I've seen women wear jeans with tank tops get up and bear their testimony. The church was cold that day, my friends!
                              Lol. I know of what you speak.

My wife has worn pantsuits to church very occasionally, and will do so on Sunday. I've seen it in a few other wards too, although it's not commonplace. But my views on the matter are related to the following true story.

Back when I was a brand new attorney at a firm, I was working on a deal involving Latin America. The more experienced associate - herself only a third year - was a woman that I still look to as my mentor. She is fluent in Spanish, Hispanic, well-educated, and very intelligent. Let's call her Gloria.

A few weeks into the transaction we had business meetings with our client (a bank) and the other side (a consortium of investors from Latin America). I showed up that morning and Gloria was dressed to the nines in a very sharp pantsuit. Very powerful, very no-nonsense. This was unlike her. She was always well dressed at the office - don't get me wrong - but the difference was striking. So much so that I commented on it. She turned to me and said, "If I don't dress like this, those men in there won't respect anything I have to say. They'll think I'm just some bimbo they can fuck at night when we're all in the same hotel together trying to close the deal. I can't afford to send a message of anything less than confidence and power."

Now she was always very professional in negotiations and wasn't "bitchy" at all, but I saw the point immediately as things progresses that day. I've never forgotten that. And it was backed up by other situations that I encountered later - her fears were not abstract or unfounded.

It was a step into a world of issues I didn't know existed but that I've seen in other places and with other people. Including our own church. And as the father of two daughters I would very much like to do what I can to make things right. And if wearing a purple tie on Sunday helps in some small way, then that's an easy thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X