Thread: The final word on irony

Default The final word on irony

Ahem:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/irony

Be sure to read all the way to example 1 at the end. Bwahahaha....
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

You're going to do this with Triples on hiatus?
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    You're going to do this with Triples on hiatus?
    Kind of ironic, isn't it?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

In a ironic reversal of expectations... I'm embarrassed for you.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 12-11-2012 at 12:30 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

I can't appreciate this without help from someone with an advanced degree in English. Or maybe from a former junior tax lawyer.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    In a ironic reversal of expectations... I'm embarrassed for you.
    As expected, Clack whiffs on the main point of the thread. Not ironic.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

This is merely a threadjack and not ironic, but that fine graphic presentation of irony included a link to a discussion about dogs that I found very funny. And more than a little true.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    This is merely a threadjack and not ironic, but that fine graphic presentation of irony included a link to a discussion about dogs that I found very funny. And more than a little true.

I only read part of it. Hurt too much to laugh anymore. Will return later in the day to finish.....and to purchase the accompanying poster for my dad's Christmas gift. Thank you!!

Literal LOL on that one.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Everybody ignores you. We needed someone with some gravitas to post it. (sjbh)

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I only read part of it. Hurt too much to laugh anymore. Will return later in the day to finish.....and to purchase the accompanying poster for my dad's Christmas gift. Thank you!!
    Hilarious.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

I keep trying to stop laughing, but I can't.

One of the top 10 funniest things posted on cuf in 2012.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Presently at Youth Conference. The post-dinner fireside was led by the 2nd C in the SP and focused heavily on (you’ll never guess) Satan, temptation, how evil the world is today, etc. It ended with a lengthy story about a YW whose life was wrecked by drugs, and it all started when she began drinking the wine for cooking from her parents’ pantry.

The story ends with a warning and an admonishment to avoid evils. Prayer is said. The floor immediately is converted into a dance floor, and while the chairs are being moved to the side, the first song to play is “Red Wine” by Lady Gaga.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Everybody ignores you. We needed someone with some gravitas to post it. (sjbh)
    Presently at Youth Conference. The post-dinner fireside was led by the 2nd C in the SP and focused heavily on (you’ll never guess) Satan, temptation, how evil the world is today, etc. It ended with a lengthy story about a YW whose life was wrecked by drugs, and it all started when she began drinking the wine for cooking from her parents’ pantry.

The story ends with a warning and an admonishment to avoid evils. Prayer is said. The floor immediately is converted into a dance floor, and while the chairs are being moved to the side, the first song to play is “Red Wine” by Lady Gaga.

You've waited for years to post something great in this thread... (after JL discounted your credibility)....congratulations... you did it!
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 02-24-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    You've waited for years to post something great in this thread... (after JL discounted your credibility)....congratulations... you did it!
    I was being ironic. I love donuthole.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Its like rain on your wedding day.

Speaking of irony, I dehydrated myself yesterday hauling five gallon coolers full of water back and forth from the sink to the water station for the departure ceremony of our 2nd Battalion headed to the Middle East. It was a hot morning, and the crowd of 2000+ was thirsty. Due to staffing issues, I was the lone water boy and worked continuous for three hours. I guess I'm getting old, because I've never had issues with hydration in my life.

deployment.jpg

Not irony.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Not irony.

Need an irony ruling. If one were to connect with a high school crush and she brought marijuana while you brought alcohol, would that be ironic?

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Need an irony ruling. If one were to connect with a high school crush and she brought marijuana while you brought alcohol, would that be ironic?
    I think that wold be more moronic... than ironic.

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I'd say you have all your bases covered and it's time to start rounding the bases.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Ruling?

RedHenLove.jpg
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Yep