• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    No it's not
    Fine, it's an allegory.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Even if he is incapacitated, it will lend more credence to hateful stuff he's said in the past. Can't wait for that Teachings of BKP manual to come out.
      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
        How are decisions made at the Church's highest level? Are prophets able to unilaterally decide things? Do the apostles vote? Whose vote counts for what? I think they probably vote on things.
        My understanding is that they don't act until there is unanimous consent.

What will be the checks and balances on a President Packer?
        What kind of check do you think he needs? Besides, the ultimate check on a prophet is the Lord.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          What kind of check do you think he needs? Besides, the ultimate check on a prophet is the Lord.
          Right.
          That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Right.
            Unless you don't believe in that kind of thing, in which case I'd wonder why it would even matter.

Comment

Unless you don't believe in that kind of thing, in which case I'd wonder why it would even matter.
              So what the prophet decides only matters if you believe that the Lord is guiding him? Is that what you're saying?
              That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

Comment

So what the prophet decides only matters if you believe that the Lord is guiding him? Is that what you're saying?
                No, but I wonder why it matters as much as it does to those who don't believe that the Lord is guiding him.

Comment

No, but I wonder why it matters as much as it does to those who don't believe that the Lord is guiding him.
                  Resist the temptation to engage, Bo.
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

It matters if you're still part of the culture and have loved ones that are making life decisions based on what they are told by men who claim to speak for God. It pains me to think that my kids are part of the factory that produces the kind of dolts that populate CougarBoard.
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                      It pains me to think that my kids are part of the factory that produces the kind of dolts that populate CougarBoard.
                      Do you have any objections to me making this my new sig line?
                      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                        It matters if you're still part of the culture and have loved ones that are making life decisions based on what they are told by men who claim to speak for God. It pains me to think that my kids are part of the factory that produces the kind of dolts that CougarBoard.
                        Well it probably similarly pains others that you are a part of the culture without believing that God speaks to prophets. And, interestingly, both sides feel similarly enlightened in very different ways. That's quite the conundrum, isn't it?

Comment

Well it probably similarly pains others that you are a part of the culture without believing that God speaks to prophets. And, interestingly, both sides feel similarly enlightened in very different ways. That's quite the conundrum, isn't it?
                          Question: Why do you believe that God speaks to prophets? I am not going to say that you shouldn't believe that God speaks to prophets. I just want to understand why you believe this.

Comment

I have no idea what you're saying.
                            What "culture" is NS part of that is painful to believers?
                            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Question: Why do you believe that God speaks to prophets? I am not going to say that you shouldn't believe that God speaks to prophets. I just want to understand why you believe this.
                              I believe that there are other ways of coming to a knowledge of things besides logic, and the scientific method. I believe there are spiritual means of obtaining knowledge.

Comment

I believe that there are other ways of coming to a knowledge of things besides logic, and the scientific method. I believe there are spiritual means of obtaining knowledge.
                                Can you give me an example of knowledge you've obtained this way? I'm not trolling or being argumentative here.
                                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                                X