Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: President/Prophet Boyd K Packer

Joycelyn Elders Supporter SoonerCoug's Avatar

Default President/Prophet Boyd K Packer

It's going to happen. Discuss.
    Trust is good, but control is better.
    V.I. Lenin

The three deadlies are: Crazy politics, crazy health, and crazy religion. They go together.
    SoonerCoug

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Did you notice that the Court granted cert on the Myriad case?
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

To Win is to Honor Him doctorcoug's Avatar

The return of those struggling with ssa

via a galaxy s3 far far away
    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Did you notice that the Court granted cert on the Myriad case?
    Radical. You're going down.
    V.I. Lenin

The three deadlies are: Crazy politics, crazy health, and crazy religion. They go together.
    SoonerCoug

Quote Originally Posted by doctorcoug View Post
    The return of those struggling with ssa
    This reminds me of an interesting question.

How are decisions made at the Church's highest level? Are prophets able to unilaterally decide things? Do the apostles vote? Whose vote counts for what? I think they probably vote on things. What will be the checks and balances on a President Packer?
    V.I. Lenin

SoonerCoug

Doesn't matter. The church is run by uncalled committees now. Plus, Packer will be like JFS, almost completely incapacitated. There's a reason TSM has lived as long as he has.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Sooner, you're losing your touch.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
    It's going to happen. Discuss.
    Did something happen to Pres. Monson?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

There were many of the same concerns about President Benson. The mantle seemed to have a mellowing effect. Not to mention the infirmity of old age. If anything, Packer is more infirm now than when Benson became prophet.

Also, I think Packer seems more infirm today than Monson. So I don't see this as a given at all.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Did something happen to Pres. Monson?
    Maybe Sooner is planning something
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Ain't gonna happen. Haven't you heard about the rumors with Harold Lee? There's a reason why he died so quickly after becoming prophet, when he was seemingly in good health.

Radical. You're going down.
    Could be. It looks like a turf war is broiling between SCOTUS and the DC Circuit, especially after the Court remanded the case the first time and told them to issue an opinion that conformed with Prometheus. Rather than take the hint, the DC Circuit made the same ruling and sent it back.

I'm only a little surprised that they ignored the standing issues. Standing seems not to bother the Court as much as it used to.

Could be. It looks like a turf war is broiling between SCOTUS and the DC Circuit, especially after the Court remanded the case the first time and told them to issue an opinion that conformed with Prometheus. Rather than take the hint, the DC Circuit made the same ruling and sent it back.

I'm only a little surprised that they ignored the standing issues. Standing seems not to bother the Court as much as it used to.
    Is this an allegory of apostle infighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Is this an allegory of apostle infighting?
    Nah, it's a threadjack.

Nah, it's a threadjack.
    No it's not

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    No it's not
    Fine, it's an allegory.

Even if he is incapacitated, it will lend more credence to hateful stuff he's said in the past. Can't wait for that Teachings of BKP manual to come out.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

How are decisions made at the Church's highest level? Are prophets able to unilaterally decide things? Do the apostles vote? Whose vote counts for what? I think they probably vote on things.
    My understanding is that they don't act until there is unanimous consent.

What will be the checks and balances on a President Packer?
    What kind of check do you think he needs? Besides, the ultimate check on a prophet is the Lord.
    I don't like Congress. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their House, I hate their Senate, I hate everything.... I think the whole Congress, their Senate and their House, is classless. They threw beer on my family and stuff last year, and they did a whole bunch of nasty things, and I don't respect them, and they deserve to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    What kind of check do you think he needs? Besides, the ultimate check on a prophet is the Lord.
    Right.
    V.I. Lenin

SoonerCoug

Right.
    Unless you don't believe in that kind of thing, in which case I'd wonder why it would even matter.
    I don't like Congress. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their House, I hate their Senate, I hate everything.... I think the whole Congress, their Senate and their House, is classless. They threw beer on my family and stuff last year, and they did a whole bunch of nasty things, and I don't respect them, and they deserve to lose.

Unless you don't believe in that kind of thing, in which case I'd wonder why it would even matter.
    So what the prophet decides only matters if you believe that the Lord is guiding him? Is that what you're saying?
    V.I. Lenin

SoonerCoug

So what the prophet decides only matters if you believe that the Lord is guiding him? Is that what you're saying?
    No, but I wonder why it matters as much as it does to those who don't believe that the Lord is guiding him.

No, but I wonder why it matters as much as it does to those who don't believe that the Lord is guiding him.
    Resist the temptation to engage, Bo.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

It matters if you're still part of the culture and have loved ones that are making life decisions based on what they are told by men who claim to speak for God. It pains me to think that my kids are part of the factory that produces the kind of dolts that populate CougarBoard.

Quote Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    It pains me to think that my kids are part of the factory that produces the kind of dolts that populate CougarBoard.
    Do you have any objections to me making this my new sig line?
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Quote Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    It matters if you're still part of the culture and have loved ones that are making life decisions based on what they are told by men who claim to speak for God. It pains me to think that my kids are part of the factory that produces the kind of dolts that CougarBoard.
    Well it probably similarly pains others that you are a part of the culture without believing that God speaks to prophets. And, interestingly, both sides feel similarly enlightened in very different ways. That's quite the conundrum, isn't it?

Well it probably similarly pains others that you are a part of the culture without believing that God speaks to prophets. And, interestingly, both sides feel similarly enlightened in very different ways. That's quite the conundrum, isn't it?
    Question: Why do you believe that God speaks to prophets? I am not going to say that you shouldn't believe that God speaks to prophets. I just want to understand why you believe this.
    V.I. Lenin

SoonerCoug

I have no idea what you're saying.
    What "culture" is NS part of that is painful to believers?
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Question: Why do you believe that God speaks to prophets? I am not going to say that you shouldn't believe that God speaks to prophets. I just want to understand why you believe this.
    I believe that there are other ways of coming to a knowledge of things besides logic, and the scientific method. I believe there are spiritual means of obtaining knowledge.

I believe that there are other ways of coming to a knowledge of things besides logic, and the scientific method. I believe there are spiritual means of obtaining knowledge.
    Can you give me an example of knowledge you've obtained this way? I'm not trolling or being argumentative here.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10