No announcement yet.

New LDS Church Website: Mormons and Gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So do we now believe that the church will release a video like this without approval of key authorities at the highest levels? If so, let's remember that next time we complain about something we dislike that is published by official channels.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      Honest question, do you not think leadership approved the video?
      I think leadership approved the video. It was also released on the Mormons and Gay website, which even with the lds.org designation on it and the prominent logo, you still have the more anti-homosexual members thinking it isn't an official church website.

I'll be slightly less cynical. The video is a positive, but given the church's recent history I stand by my point that this is a PR move and not a sign of the general shift in the church's approach.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
        I think leadership approved the video. It was also released on the Mormons and Gay website, which even with the lds.org designation on it and the prominent logo, you still have the more anti-homosexual members thinking it isn't an official church website.

I'll be slightly less cynical. The video is a positive, but given the church's recent history I stand by my point that this is a PR move and not a sign of the general shift in the church's approach.
        Fair enough.
        *Banned*

Comment

• At work we've been actively hiring for the past few weeks, but cannot seem to get good candidates. (Mostly entry level and low jobs). I thought of using the LDS Employment Services, but didn't want to get into hot water with HR, so I sent my local LDS Employment Services branch an email, telling them that I could not use their employment service unless they did not discriminate against anyone seeking their help, and I specifically mentioned that they could not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, and gender identification. I got an email back same day affirming that this was true.

Even the cynics in the bunch must admit the the Church is most inclusive in its service outreach. I think this is a truer test of inclusion than dogma written by a GA 30 years ago but never negated. This is also the most Christlike measure.

Comment

• I think Funk is wrong as the majority of people that will watch that video are Mormons. It's only a PR move to try and change current members views on homosexuality.

However, this is a self inflicted problem. The church has put itself in its current predicament. The hatred and bigotry shown by members towards gays is mostly due to the church's teachings in that regards, especially its actions during prop 8. The church had a full court press on limiting the rights of gays just under a decade ago. The bigotry won't last. The millennials won't allow it to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              I think Funk is wrong as the majority of people that will watch that video are Mormons. It's only a PR move to try and change current members views on homosexuality.

However, this is a self inflicted problem. The church has put itself in its current predicament. The hatred and bigotry shown by members towards gays is mostly due to the church's teachings in that regards, especially its actions during prop 8. The church had a full court press on limiting the rights of gays just under a decade ago. The bigotry won't last. The millennials won't allow it to last.

Not a decade ago. The church had a full court press trying to limit the rights of homosexuals less than 2 years ago.

I'm also not sure that I agree with you that this is going to change. I think like gender equity issues, the church has painted itself into a corner that I'm not sure it can get out of.
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                Not a decade ago. The church had a full court press trying to limit the rights of homosexuals less than 2 years ago.
                I'm most likely ignorant on this point, but what happened 2 years ago where the church was active in limiting gay rights?

I'm also not sure that I agree with you that this is going to change. I think like gender equity issues, the church has painted itself into a corner that I'm not sure it can get out of.
                You are right, the church won't completely change and fully accept gays. It can't, at least not for the foreseeable future. I guess my hope is that the church and church members stop trying to limit hay rights in the public sphere, which I think is happening.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I'm most likely ignorant on this point, but what happened 2 years ago where the church was active in limiting gay rights?

Active involvement in litigation before the Supreme Court trying to limit the rights of homosexuals to marry. The LDS church joined in an amicus brief opposing homosexual marriage. They were also involved in litigation in lower courts as well.
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

You are right, the church won't completely change and fully accept gays. It can't, at least not for the foreseeable future. I guess my hope is that the church and church members stop trying to limit hay rights in the public sphere, which I think is happening.

Hay has a right to grow just like any other agricultural crop! Stop the discrimination!
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

\
                      I don't remember the litigation that funk mentioned, but the big issue with children of gay parents not being able to be baptized and advanced in the PH was less than 2 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                        I don't remember the litigation that funk mentioned, but the big issue with children of gay parents not being able to be baptized and advanced in the PH was less than 2 years ago.
                        Yeah, but being baptized isn't a right. It's a stupid policy and one where the church backpedaled quite a bit (although I still don't think the not-really-ambiguous wording ever got updated) but it's not hurting people that have no interest in the church. You could also say it was the internal SJWs that pushed for the backpedaling

Comment

Yeah, but being baptized isn't a right. It's a stupid policy and one where the church backpedaled quite a bit (although I still don't think the not-really-ambiguous wording ever got updated) but it's not hurting people that have no interest in the church. You could also say it was the internal SJWs that pushed for the backpedaling
                          Eddie, you and funk should team up for a podcast on this one. You speak the same language. I can't think of a better team.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Eddie, you and funk should team up for a podcast on this one. You speak the same language. I can't think of a better team.
                            I'll do it if you agree to be the resident apologist. A good podcast always has two different viewpoints.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                              Ha, thank you! I spent 10 minutes looking for that quote after I read Lebowski's post, but couldn't find it until I got to yours.

Here it is, FWIW: http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1028212
                              The beginning of the end for Niku on here.
                              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                                Ha, thank you! I spent 10 minutes looking for that quote after I read Lebowski's post, but couldn't find it until I got to yours.

Here it is, FWIW: http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1028212
                                A CS classic. No doubt about it.

The backstory for that post would be another great topic for the Moliere/Funk podcast.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X