New LDS Church Website: Mormons and Gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    well, they did approve the video. having said that, I do wish they would come out in a forum like GC CS and say unequivocally that being gay isn't a choice and call for compassion.
    This would be more interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      This would be more interesting.
      Well since Clack is on a CS mission, I expect him to be involved.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        well, they did approve the video. having said that, I do wish they would come out in a forum like GC and say unequivocally that being gay isn't a choice and call for compassion.
        They approved the Mormons and Gays website and the "Fairness For All" legislation too. But they also supported Prop 8 and blacklisted the children of SSM individuals. This is just another Jekyll-Hyde moment.

It's terrible to say, but I honestly look forward to the Church as it will hopefully exist after a few key players pass away.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
          They approved the Mormons and Gays website and the "Fairness For All" legislation too. But they also supported Prop 8 and blacklisted the children of SSM individuals. This is just another Jekyll-Hyde moment.

It's terrible to say, but I honestly look forward to the Church as it will hopefully exist after a few key players pass away.
          For an organization claiming revelation, it always seems to be one of the last to the party. Instead of leading, there is more reactionarism than leading on any social issue or social matter, including compassion and empathy. The only place I can think of the organization bucking that trend is in the field of immigration.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            That was beautiful. I got choked up watching that. It gives me hope for the future.
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I try to tell people all the time: the church is a collection of individuals so don't expect 100% consistency. I know for a fact that there was not unanimity in SLC over the policy change. We are going to witness a cultural struggle for a time, but the narrative in the video is the one that is going to prevail. Of that I am very confident.
            Here is me not working on my cynicism. Sorry Dude.

I haven't watched the video. I doubt that I will watch the video. I have no doubt that the video is moving and shares a message of love towards homosexuals. However, just like the Mormon and Gays website it is nothing more than PR to hide the actual feelings/policies of the church.

I have no doubt there are many believing members that have a loving attitude towards homosexuals. Who care about them, love them, and want the best for them. However, the church policies are not about love, they are not caring, and they are not for the best of homosexuals.

Yes they release what I'm sure is that nice video, but they still maintain a policy that excludes the children of homosexuals and forces those children to disavow their parents if they want to get baptized as an adult.

Yes they release what I'm sure is that nice video, but this is an organization that actively engaged in campaigns to restrict the rights of homosexuals. This is an organization that would support and encourage efforts to restrict the rights of those individuals have won through the legal system.

Yes they release what I'm sure is that nice video, but multiple individuals in high leadership positions have a hyper focus on the "gay agenda" and how that agenda is leading to moral decay in our society.

Yes they release what I'm sure is that nice video, but as long as they don't correct the past discrimination against homosexuals and reverse course, you will still have individuals in the church that will use the policies and teachings of the church to justify and encourage their hatred of homosexuals.

The video is PR. The actions of the church speak much louder. The church deserves no ally cookies until systemic changes are made. I disagree with you about who will win out in this cultural war in the church.
            Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 03-20-2017, 10:19 AM.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
              Here is me not working on my cynicism. Sorry Dude.

I haven't watched the video. I doubt that I will watch the video. I have no doubt that the video is moving and shares a message of love towards homosexuals. However, just like the Mormon and Gays website it is nothing more than PR to hide the actual feelings/policies of the church.

I have no doubt there are many believing members that have a loving attitude towards homosexuals. Who care about them, love them, and want the best for them. However, the church policies are not about love, they are not caring, and they are not for the best of homosexuals.

Yes they release what I'm sure is that nice video, but they still maintain a policy that excludes the children of homosexuals and forces those children to disavow their parents if they want to get baptized as an adult.

Yes they release what I'm sure is that nice video, but this is an organization that actively engaged in campaigns to restrict the rights of homosexuals. This is an organization that would support and encourage efforts to restrict the rights of those individuals have won through the legal system.

Yes they release what I'm sure is that nice video, but multiple individuals in high leadership positions have a hyper focus on the "gay agenda" and how that agenda is leading to moral decay in our society.

Yes they release what I'm sure is that nice video, but as long as they don't correct the past discrimination against homosexuals and reverse course, you will still have individuals in the church that will use the policies and teachings of the church to justify and encourage their hatred of homosexuals.

The video is PR. The actions of the church speak much louder. The church deserves no ally cookies until systemic changes are made.
              If you are too stubborn or lazy or scared or whatever to watch the video then may I suggest you stay out of the discussion about the video and refrain from commenting on the video? Unless the goal was to make yourself look like a bullheaded, dogmatic dope, in which case: mission accomplished!
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                If you are too stubborn or lazy or scared or whatever to watch the video then may I suggest you stay out of the discussion about the video and refrain from commenting on the video? Unless the goal was to make yourself look like a bullheaded, dogmatic dope, in which case: mission accomplished!
                I'm not "too lazy" or "too scared" to watch the video. I just question why it is worth anyone's time to watch when the church continues to have systemic problems that I described that aren't even being addressed. It is like putting up pictures of women in the conference center, thinking that it is progress with how women have been denied a voice in the church. It is hollow and for show. Let's see some meaningful change.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  When I made my post yesterday I thought, "Funk is back. He will probably respond with some super cynical, dismissive post." Ha.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I'm not "too lazy" or "too scared" to watch the video. I just question why it is worth anyone's time to watch when the church continues to have systemic problems that I described that aren't even being addressed. It is like putting up pictures of women in the conference center, thinking that it is progress with how women have been denied a voice in the church. It is hollow and for show. Let's see some meaningful change.
                    By meaningful change you apparently only mean "Lets see them do exactly what I want and when I want them to do it and then I will give them credit but before then I am not even willing to evaluate anything they do." How utterly principled you are! And how utterly bereft of value or merit your comments on this video are.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

The video was uplifting and made me want to be more charitable. That was worth the time.

Comment

Haha. Keep on funking, funk.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Lol. Great post. You haven't watched the video, but you want to see meaningful change, not knowing if the video is meaningful change or not.
                          *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            The video was uplifting and made me want to be more charitable. That was worth the time.
                            Unless it made you want to donate every last penny to the vast homeless population of Dayton, it was not worth your time. Small change means nothing, we want meaningful change!
                            *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              When I made my post yesterday I thought, "Funk is back. He will probably respond with some super cynical, dismissive post." Ha.
                              I'd be interested in hearing how you reconcile the actual actions (including recent actions) of the church with the message of this video. No one is saying that everyone in church leadership is a monolith and wants to restrict the rights of homosexuals, but the actions of the church have been exactly that. How to reconcile the two?

I realize you can, I cannot reconcile them. FYI, I went ahead and watched the video. The video is exactly what I expected it to be. If it was accompanied by real systemic change in the church, I'd stop being cynical.
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I'd be interested in hearing how you reconcile the actual actions (including recent actions) of the church with the message of this video. No one is saying that everyone in church leadership is a monolith and wants to restrict the rights of homosexuals, but the actions of the church have been exactly that. How to reconcile the two?

I realize you can, I cannot reconcile them. FYI, I went ahead and watched the video. The video is exactly what I expected it to be. If it was accompanied by real systemic change in the church, I'd stop being cynical.
                                I doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                                X