Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Reverse psychology here?
    It's like you hoping I might eventually pay you that $15 for the fantasy league. At some point it is better for you to realize you can't trust me. Or decide that you will just have to take me as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
      Sorry it's Circling the Wagons.

http://circlingthewagons.org/
      Thanks. Good for SG for helping out.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        Thanks. Good for SG for helping out.
        She is a good example to me. While I am running my mouth she is frequently actually helping people.

Comment

It's like you hoping I might eventually pay you that $15 for the fantasy league. At some point it is better for you to realize you can't trust me. Or decide that you will just have to take me as I am.
          Well, I'm not in the playoffs, but the pain that Surfah and Tick could feel from not having your money is very palpable and close to my heart.
          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
            What is bad? They believe it to be God's law. Pretty simple from their point of view.
            That we cannot do, for God’s law is not ours to change. There is no change in the Church’s position of what is morally right
            I find this slightly humorous as the Church as changed "God's law" multiple times and didn't seem to have a problem with it. From plural marriage, to priesthood ban, to woman giving blessings, to different amounts of tithing, to temple ceremony, to word of wisdom, actions in the bedroom, etc. So to say that they cannot change "God's law" gets a chuckle out of me.

I do think that it is definitely progress in the right directions. baby steps.
            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
              Well, I'm not in the playoffs, but the pain that Surfah and Tick could feel from not having your money is very palpable and close to my heart.
              I'm going to be seeing Surfah soon, maybe I'll just pay him directly.

Comment

I'm going to be seeing Surfah soon, maybe I'll just pay him directly.
                I saw that. I'm sure that will be lovely. Nevertheless, just pay me.
                "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                  I find this slightly humorous as the Church as changed "God's law" multiple times and didn't seem to have a problem with it. From plural marriage, to priesthood ban, to woman giving blessings, to different amounts of tithing, to temple ceremony, to word of wisdom, actions in the bedroom, etc. So to say that they cannot change "God's law" gets a chuckle out of me.

I do think that it is definitely progress in the right directions. baby steps.

The obvious reply is that God changes God's law.

Signed,

Moses
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Good for them for finally using the word 'gay' on the website. Although SSA is still heavily used, it looks like Oaks is losing the semantics battle.

Unlike in times past, the Church does not necessarily advise those with same-sex attraction to marry those of the opposite sex.
                    Kind of a weaselly way to apologize, but again, I'll take it.

God has given us commandments that support family and individual happiness. One of these is the Law of Chastity — individuals should have no sexual relations except in marriage, which Latter-day Saints define as between a man and a woman.
                    If you believe in the law of chastity, then an easy way of reconciling it with gays is to simply let them marry. But we've argued that to death. It is interesting that the phrase 'Latter-day Saints define' is used. Certainly the leadership believes it is God who defines marriage. Why not man up and say it? Is this a signal that change is coming?

We believe that with an eternal perspective, a person’s attraction to the same sex can be addressed and borne as a mortal test. It should not be viewed as a permanent condition. Though some people, including those resisting same-sex attraction, may not have the opportunity to marry a person of the opposite sex in this life, a just God will provide them with ample opportunity to do so in the next.
                    No matter how faithful members are, I hope they realize how tough a sale this is to gays. 'Hi, we realize how hard it is to change your sexual orientation. You sincerely believe you were born that way, and it defines a large measure of who you are. But it really isn't who you are. You were straight before you came into this life, and you'll be straight after. Just wait and see'.

I can see that some faithful members who are gay might take solace in this teaching, but I can't for the life of me imagine why a gay person would convert with this teaching hanging over their head for the rest of their life.

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post

Signed,

Moses
                    If one of my children or other family member tells me they're gay, I'll be honest with them what the church expects of them currently. And if they can't do it, I'll tell them that's fine. Go ahead and life your life as you see fit. Because chances are they'll see the church turn on this doctrine in their life time. No need to wait for Moses.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post

Signed,

Moses
                      And that is exactly what will happen in the future. 10, 20, or 30 years from now the Church will announce that "God" has changed His law. I look forward to that day.
                      "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Where the Church stands:

The experience of same-sex attraction is a complex reality for many people. The attraction itself is not a sin, but acting on it is. Even though individuals do not choose to have such attractions, they do choose how to respond to them. With love and understanding, the Church reaches out to all God’s children, including our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters.
                        This was sort of subtle, but seems to be a big admission for the church. The idea that these issues are strongly biological and not just social will serve the membership well in hopefully enabling them to be more compassionate.
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                          This was sort of subtle, but seems to be a big admission for the church. The idea that these issues are strongly biological and not just social will serve the membership well in hopefully enabling them to be more compassionate.
                          Yes. I am glad that God changed his mind about that at least.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I am not impressed by the website. Poor design and layout. Content is even worse.
                            That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/1...ity/?hpt=hp_c2
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

"God's law is not ours to change."

They should have added a disclaimer about how often God likes to change his mind.
                                That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Working...
                                X