New LDS Church Website: Mormons and Gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    That is all I needed to hear. It's cowshit for me going forward.
    I say that an RC mocks me, cowboy says it and you change your habits?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      I say that an RC mocks me, cowboy says it and you change your habits?
      I wasn't mocking you HFN, they should have listened to me so we didn't have to go through it all again.

Comment

• Straight People: It's time to leave your homophobic churches

Silence in the face of homophobia from the pulpit is as much an affirmation of bigotry as the sermon itself. Support for these churches—even through attendance—sends a clear message to LGBTQ youth: You are not welcome; you are an abomination. While many churches suggest that preaching “the truth” about homosexuality is showing “love,” it is nothing more than an agonizing torture ritual designed to demoralize, demean, and disempower LGBTQ youth. And it must no longer be supported. ... For the sake of your children, your neighbors, your loved ones, and your friends, it’s time to leave your anti-gay church.
        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Silence? Can I keep attending even if I'm not silent?
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• Sorry no can do, I was born this way.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              Silence? Can I keep attending even if I'm not silent?
              From the article:
              If you can’t leave, speak up.

Comment

• Maybe it is time we do away with church and God and all that stuff all together. What about little children in the Atheist community? What is it saying to them seeing all these people heading off to church on Sunday?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                  From the article:
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    Maybe it is time we do away with church and God and all that stuff all together. What about little children in the Atheist community? What is it saying to them seeing all these people heading off to church on Sunday?
                    The children should be fine, but the parents are a whole 'nother story:

D&C 68:25 And again, inasmuch as parents have children in Zion, or in any of her stakes which are organized, that teach them not to understand the doctrine of repentance, faith in Christ the Son of the living God, and of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of the hands, when eight years old, the sin be upon the heads of the parents.

Comment

• As a parent of a gay child (others on here have siblings or family members that are gay) I can tell you the following:

1. Having a gay child is easy.
                      2. Having a gay child in the LDS Church is not easy.
                      3. Watching passive/aggressive LDS folks talk about loving everyone...but not treating everyone nice is difficult.

My kid doesn't feel welcome. That is what bothers me.

I feel welcome and loved...but confused when some people tell me "I wish your family didn't have to go through this."

I don't have any answers, but I know my kid is done with the LDS church in 13 months. Makes me sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                        As a parent of a gay child (others on here have siblings or family members that are gay) I can tell you the following:

3. Watching passive/aggressive LDS folks talk about loving everyone...but not treating everyone nice is difficult.

I feel welcome and loved...but confused when some people tell me "I wish your family didn't have to go through this."

I don't have any answers, but I know my kid is done with the LDS church in 13 months. Makes me sad.
                        13 months? What is the signficance of that time frame?
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

As a parent of a gay child (others on here have siblings or family members that are gay) I can tell you the following:

That is sad, Tick. Can't really blame her, but still sad.

Hang in there, amigo.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I'm curious to how things will be in Utah County as opposed to California. She may actually find a large support group of gay LDS kids who can relate.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear this. I know she comes from a loving family, however, and that will make all the difference to her as she goes forward.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Yeah, we (members of the church) still need to make some changes. Best wishes for you and your family.
                                One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                                SU

Comment

Working...
                                X