New LDS Church Website: Mormons and Gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
    The rights to associate, speak freely and practice your religion spill over substantially into one another. Encroachments on these freedoms will rarely, if ever, come from direct curtailments. Instead, they will come from incremental steps in decisions that cumulatively creep toward an undesirable result. When they come for me, boiling frog, slippery slope and all that. As a result, I think churches and other organizations and persons SHOULD take an interest in these interrelated arguments. Who better to raise awareness of how such cases might affect religious freedoms down the road than churches? I really don't understand what it means to 'cheapen' the right in this context.
    This is really tough. On one side, I agree, and I can see how not fighting inconsequential things ten steps away from the important things, could potentially make it easier for you to lose the important things 10 steps later. But on the other side, you become an asshole when you fight this way.

Comment

• i suspect funk would be less thrilled with a bakery owned by a guy person being forced to bake a cake for the westboro baptist church celebrating the murder of a prominent lgbt advocate
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        i suspect funk would be less thrilled with a bakery owned by a guy person being forced to bake a cake for the westboro baptist church celebrating the murder of a prominent lgbt advocate
        You are right I would be less thrilled about that. I also sincerely doubt that scenario falls under the Colorado anti-discrimination statute.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          You are right I would be less thrilled about that. I also sincerely doubt that scenario falls under the Colorado anti-discrimination statute.
          why
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Behold, whosoever compelleth thee to bake a gay wedding cake, bake for him two.

Pretty sure Jesus said that.
            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              You would say that everyone should be treated with kindness and respect, even those that maybe haven't earned it or have done something that one vehemently disagrees with? Interesting take.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

Who needs two wedding cakes (at least, at the same time)? I'm starting to question whether Jesus really said that.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                  kind of a silly point on your part mr funk. a wedding cake is not a public accommodation and is pretty clearly different from true public accommodations
                  https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/12181

see 7 E

I ain't no Lawyer but this was one of the first links that came up in a "what is a public accommodation" google search. I guess this is under the disabilities act. Is the definition different as it relates to anti discrimination laws?
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    You would say that everyone should be treated with kindness and respect, even those that maybe haven't earned it or have done something that one vehemently disagrees with? Interesting take.
                    It's radical!
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Who needs two wedding cakes (at least, at the same time)? I'm starting to question whether Jesus really said that.
                      Nowadays they do a grooms cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                        https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/12181

see 7 E

I ain't no Lawyer but this was one of the first links that came up in a "what is a public accommodation" google search. I guess this is under the disabilities act. Is the definition different as it relates to anti discrimination laws?
                        Here's the code provision you're looking for:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/2000a

Prohibition against discrimination or segregation in places of public accommodation

(a) Equal access
                        All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

(b) Establishments affecting interstate commerce or supported in their activities by State action as places of public accommodation; lodgings; facilities principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises; gasoline stations; places of exhibition or entertainment; other covered establishmentsEach of the following establishments which serves the public is a place of public accommodation within the meaning of this subchapter if its operations affect commerce, or if discrimination or segregation by it is supported by State action:
                        (1) any inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment which provides lodging to transient guests, other than an establishment located within a building which contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and which is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as his residence;
                        (2) any restaurant, cafeteria, lunchroom, lunch counter, soda fountain, or other facility principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises, including, but not limited to, any such facility located on the premises of any retail establishment; or any gasoline station;
                        (3) any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium or other place of exhibition or entertainment; and
                        (4) any establishment (A)(i) which is physically located within the premises of any establishment otherwise covered by this subsection, or (ii) within the premises of which is physically located any such covered establishment, and (B) which holds itself out as serving patrons of such covered establishment.
                        No bakeries in there, unless you are having your wedding inside the bakery, I guess.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          Here's the code provision you're looking for:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/2000a

No bakeries in there, unless you are having your wedding inside the bakery, I guess.
                          I said i wasn't a lawyer! Thank you sir. So disabled guy gets his cake from a hitler youth graduate, but gay dude gets no cake from a westboro baptist member. Got it.
                          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• This guy was a missionary in my ward a while back. I honestly didn't recognize him because he looks so much less gay than he did as a missionary (seriously). Anyway, pretty funny stuff. And I'm encouraged by the way my former bishop (currently the SP in an adjacent stake) has reached out to him in response to the article. Pretty funny stuff, at any rate.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b05fa16286be0f
                            Last edited by Donuthole; 10-13-2017, 08:49 AM.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              This guy was a missionary in my ward a while back. I honestly didn't recognize him because he looks so much less gay than he did as a missionary (seriously). Anyway, pretty funny stuff. And I'm encouraged by the way my former bishop (currently the SP in an adjacent stake) has reached out to him in response to the article. Pretty funny stuff, at any rate.

Uh-oh, Moliere. Is this why you are refusing a stake calling?

6. When your bros are talking about women they think are hot, avoid focusing on women whose personality you love (Tina Fey and Adele) and remember it’s all about features.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                This guy was a missionary in my ward a while back. I honestly didn't recognize him because he looks so much less gay than he did as a missionary (seriously). Anyway, pretty funny stuff. And I'm encouraged by the way my former bishop (currently the SP in an adjacent stake) has reached out to him in response to the article. Pretty funny stuff, at any rate.

That was good.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X