Air compressor for home use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air compressor for home use?

I've asked my wife for an air compressor for Christmas this year, but I'm not sure what she (I) should be looking for. What size is good for home/general use? Most units look the same without a lot of different bells and whistles, so maybe I don't need to put much thought into this purchase, but any opinions you have on air compressors would be appreciated.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

what are you using it for? if you're just using it to fill tires and occasionally run a nailer or an airbrush then a basic pancake, 2.5 gallon compressor will be fine.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
      what are you using it for? if you're just using it to fill tires and occasionally run a nailer or an airbrush then a basic pancake, 2.5 gallon compressor will be fine.
      Tires, nail gun, blow out my sprinkler lines, etc.
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
        Tires, nail gun, blow out my sprinkler lines, etc.
        pancake, or other small compressor should do you fine.
        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

If you decide you need something a little bigger than a pancake yet still portable they sell an upright DeWalt on wheels at Home Depot. I have one and have been very satisfied with it. It handles everything I throw at it including spraying with an HVLP gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            If you decide you need something a little bigger than a pancake yet still portable they sell an upright DeWalt on wheels at Home Depot. I have one and have been very satisfied with it. It handles everything I throw at it including spraying with an HVLP gun.
            I was just looking at that one yesterday. I like the wheels.

Comment

Make sure you get a bundle with a nail gun or two. There is a no reason why you can't capitalize on the competition. I agree that a pancake is the way to go for most projects around the house. Small, lightweight, compact.
              I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                Make sure you get a bundle with a nail gun or two. There is a no reason why you can't capitalize on the competition. I agree that a pancake is the way to go for most projects around the house. Small, lightweight, compact.
                Agreed. Get a combo deal and call it good. There is virtually no reason for having anything bigger than a pancake compressor for most homeowners. Unless you're a DIYer auto mechanic who uses air tools frequently the pancake or similar tube compressors will suffice. Even if you use it heavily for a project it will just cycle more often. Just put some earmuffs on.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Agreed. Get a combo deal and call it good. There is virtually no reason for having anything bigger than a pancake compressor for most homeowners. Unless you're a DIYer auto mechanic who uses air tools frequently the pancake or similar tube compressors will suffice. Even if you use it heavily for a project it will just cycle more often. Just put some earmuffs on.
                  I like the pancake and am probably going to pick one up for my basement workshop. As a DIY'er I think that a pancake is only good for supplementing something larger. Granted I do weird stuff like spraying finishes with my compressor.

Comment

I like the pancake and am probably going to pick one up for my basement workshop. As a DIY'er I think that a pancake is only good for supplementing something larger. Granted I do weird stuff like spraying finishes with my compressor.
                    Such as guitars? Surely the pancake compressor can push enough for what you are spraying unless it is a rather large project. I have framed with mine as well install interior doors and trim throughout the house and have never had issues with it keeping it up. It will cycle more often, as Surfah said, but that is not a big deal. My dad has a large compressor and a pancake. The large compressor just sits in the shop and is only used when he works on vehicles or his tractor.
                    I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

Such as guitars? Surely the pancake compressor can push enough for what you are spraying unless it is a rather large project. I have framed with mine as well install interior doors and trim throughout the house and have never had issues with it keeping it up. It will cycle more often, as Surfah said, but that is not a big deal. My dad has a large compressor and a pancake. The large compressor just sits in the shop and is only used when he works on vehicles or his tractor.
                      Such as guitars. Pancake simply will not cut it. A lot depends on the gun but if for some reason you lose pressure you're screwed. I use a combination of HVLP and regular automotive jam guns. The bigger guns will test a pancake. My personal requirement is that a compressor will store enough air that the motor doesn't have to cycle to finish the job. I don't only spray guitars though. I'll spray virtually anything that needs paint with an air sprayer. I detest rattle cans.

Comment

Here you go. Use coupon code Cyber82 at checkout. I believe these are reconditioned/refurbed. But they're grade A and carry full warranty.

http://bigskytool.com/bundle.aspx?id...BlowoutTopPage

Lots of other Cyber Monday deals on Hitachi tools as well. I really like Hitachi tools.
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Such as guitars. Pancake simply will not cut it. A lot depends on the gun but if for some reason you lose pressure you're screwed. I use a combination of HVLP and regular automotive jam guns. The bigger guns will test a pancake. My personal requirement is that a compressor will store enough air that the motor doesn't have to cycle to finish the job. I don't only spray guitars though. I'll spray virtually anything that needs paint with an air sprayer. I detest rattle cans.
                          sweet. I wish that I could paint. I have never tried but I have a feeling that I wouldn't be any good at it. It takes a lot of patience and that is something that I am starting to have less and less of as I get older.
                          I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            Here you go. Use coupon code Cyber82 at checkout. I believe these are reconditioned/refurbed. But they're grade A and carry full warranty.

http://bigskytool.com/bundle.aspx?id...BlowoutTopPage

Lots of other Cyber Monday deals on Hitachi tools as well. I really like Hitachi tools.
                            Hitachi has stepped up their game. My dad bought a Hitachi 12" sliding double compound miter saw with the laser. Best saw I have ever used.
                            I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

Hitachi has stepped up their game. My dad bought a Hitachi 12" sliding double compound miter saw with the laser. Best saw I have ever used.
                              My dad bought the same one when we remodeled the kitchen. I just used it and it is sweet. It almost eliminates the need for a table saw. Plus he got the rolling, folding Porter Cable universal stand for it. He's selling me the Makita for $50. Dads.
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X