X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN happy with BYU contract

I wonder why the NewsBot didn't pick this one up:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/...tml.csp?page=1

Some Utah fans suggest it as an insult. Some BYU fans quietly worry about it.

In the second year of a seven-year TV deal with ESPN, is the worldwide leader in sports unhappy because the Cougars haven’t delivered on the field?

"Nothing could be further from the truth," said Ilan Ben-Hanan, ESPN’s vice president of programming and acquisitions. "We are thrilled with our partnership with BYU. And I don’t use that word lightly. We are genuinely thrilled."
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Suck on that one, Vai!
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

At least five more years of independence.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        At least five more years of independence.
        Considering the most likely alternative I'm fine with that.

Comment

It's obvious to see why ESPN would be happy with the BYU contract. It's a time zone they need. We get occasional big names on the schedule. They're sharing with just us not an entire conference, so the cost is lower. I bet the per game cost is 1/5th what it is with for example the Big 12 contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I would be happy too. It is Saturday night at 8:30. Bowling, New Mexico St. vs Idaho St, wait we have BYU. A team nationally recognized and we can put them on TV late at night in November.

We do get the benefit of having some of our better games on the tube at a decent time. The deal is working out better than what it looked like 12 months ago.

Comment

People don't realize that ESPN is making out like Bandits in the BYU deal. Why? Because ESPN does not have to haul any of their production equipment along and leverages all that BYU has so production costs are significantly lower. It is a great partnership for both ESPN and BYU.

Comment

BYU and ESPN reach a TV deal through 2026, which includes BYU tied into the Independence Bowl (Shreveport, LA) in 2021, 2023 and 2025. TBD bowls for the even years.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                  BYU and ESPN reach a TV deal through 2026, which includes BYU tied into the Independence Bowl (Shreveport, LA) in 2021, 2023 and 2025. TBD bowls for the even years.
                  There is an out for the Cheese-It bowl one of those years and outs every year for NY6 or playoff. We will probably only go to the Independence Bowl once.

Comment

Working...
                  X