Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2016 Presidential Election Trainwreck

Never too early to be thinking ahead.

I have to wonder what the GOP field will look like in this primary. Most of the 2012 primary candidates are pretty toxic at this point. Gingrich and Santorum are yesterday's news. Perry was exposed in this election. Bachman would have been, if she had stuck around much longer. The 2012 primaries were pretty devastating for Jon Huntsman, meanwhile, who I always thought was running for 2016, but he failed to pick up any traction among Republicans whatsoever. He's the Republican Democrats want to be the Republican candidate. Jon Huntsman might throw his hat in the ring if he has a good two years, but I'm not sure at this point that this happens. Herman Cain is a punchline. Ron Paul . . . nothing needs to be said here, I think.

My guess is that the frontrunners of the GOP primary will be those who watched the primary on the sidelines. Portman and Pawlenty might show some interest, but I'd guess they will have limited impact, having been passed on for so long by so many. Chris Christie could make a splash, but I doubt enough people are willing to look past his weight.

The favorites at this point have got to be Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio. No Republican was better served by the 2012 election than Paul Ryan, who was thrust into the spotlight as an authority (whether you agreed with him or not) on the budget and the need for fiscal restraint. His social platform puts him pretty far on the right, which could continue to be a problem for a center that is increasingly libertarian. Marco Rubio, meanwhile, represents the fastest-growing demographic in the nation and the Republican party's fastest-growing liability. He is fairly junior in the Senate, but this comes with advantages and disadvantages, giving him neither a track record nor a paper trail. Even if Marco Rubio doesn't emerge as the presidential candidate, he's among the most compelling VP candidates. Some governor from some conservative state may well make a push.

As for Dems, the conversation begins and ends with Hillary Clinton. It's the choice they should have made in 2008, and I suspect most are inclined to try it again. The only person who may not be on board is Clinton herself, but then again, disavowals of interest in running are almost a prerequisite at this point. She may be pressed into service by an otherwise scant cupboard. Joe Biden and Harry Reid certainly aren't going very far in a national election. NY Governor Andrew Cuomo is an unknown quantity, but you get automatic points by being governor of a big blue state. I've seen Rahm Emmanuel's name mentioned a time or two, as well. Cory Booker, mayor of Newark, NJ, gave a well-received speech at the convention, but is also pretty young-- maybe too young for the top spot. Then again, a young African-American can do a lot to shore up the bottom half of the ticket.

My guess as of now:

GOP: Paul Ryan, with Marco Rubio as his running mate
    Dems: Hillary Clinton, with Cory Booker as her running mate
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Originally posted by All-American View Post

I have to wonder what the GOP field will look like in this primary. Most of the 2012 primary candidates are pretty toxic at this point. Gingrich and Santorum are yesterday's news. Perry was exposed in this election. Bachman would have been, if she had stuck around much longer. The 2012 primaries were pretty devastating for Jon Huntsman, meanwhile, who I always thought was running for 2016, but he failed to pick up any traction among Republicans whatsoever. He's the Republican Democrats want to be the Republican candidate. Jon Huntsman might throw his hat in the ring if he has a good two years, but I'm not sure at this point that this happens. Herman Cain is a punchline. Ron Paul . . . nothing needs to be said here, I think.

My guess is that the frontrunners of the GOP primary will be those who watched the primary on the sidelines. Portman and Pawlenty might show some interest, but I'd guess they will have limited impact, having been passed on for so long by so many. Chris Christie could make a splash, but I doubt enough people are willing to look past his weight.

The favorites at this point have got to be Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio. No Republican was better served by the 2012 election than Paul Ryan, who was thrust into the spotlight as an authority (whether you agreed with him or not) on the budget and the need for fiscal restraint. His social platform puts him pretty far on the right, which could continue to be a problem for a center that is increasingly libertarian. Marco Rubio, meanwhile, represents the fastest-growing demographic in the nation and the Republican party's fastest-growing liability. He is fairly junior in the Senate, but this comes with advantages and disadvantages, giving him neither a track record nor a paper trail. Even if Marco Rubio doesn't emerge as the presidential candidate, he's among the most compelling VP candidates. Some governor from some conservative state may well make a push.

As for Dems, the conversation begins and ends with Hillary Clinton. It's the choice they should have made in 2008, and I suspect most are inclined to try it again. The only person who may not be on board is Clinton herself, but then again, disavowals of interest in running are almost a prerequisite at this point. She may be pressed into service by an otherwise scant cupboard. Joe Biden and Harry Reid certainly aren't going very far in a national election. NY Governor Andrew Cuomo is an unknown quantity, but you get automatic points by being governor of a big blue state. I've seen Rahm Emmanuel's name mentioned a time or two, as well. Cory Booker, mayor of Newark, NJ, gave a well-received speech at the convention, but is also pretty young-- maybe too young for the top spot. Then again, a young African-American can do a lot to shore up the bottom half of the ticket.

My guess as of now:

Where's Tony Villar Antonio Villaragosa?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I wonder if Jeb Bush doesn't make a run. Is it still too soon and/or have the dems and Obama effectively made the Bush name toxic.

A Jeb Bush with Marco Rubio could be a nice ticket. Florida would go red again with them. I think we reverse the downward trend among Latinos also. A Mexican born first lady and the son of Cuban immigrants as VP. That ticket might be too Catholic for the far right, but I think it is time to put them in check.

I like Paul Ryan quite a bit. He'll be attractive if the GOP's worst fears are realized and the economy is still in tatters in 4 years. I could also get behind a Ryan-Rubio ticket. I just wonder if they're too young together.

I really would love Mitt. But he's done even if it were an option.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
        Where's Tony Villar Antonio Villaragosa?
        Making sure he never has to propose amendments to the party platform ever again.
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Rubio needs to be at the top.

Comment

My guess as of now:

The names are escaping me, but what about the Mayor of...San Antonio I want to say, and his brother that just won a congressional seat (I believe). They seemed to make a splash at the DNC and one of them could be in line for a VP slot as well.
            "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Paul Ryan would lose in a rout. He doesn't even bring anything in his home state. He's a younger, more boring version of Romney.

Worst VP pick ever for Romney.
              Last edited by jay santos; 11-09-2012, 06:30 AM.

Comment

please, no. not now.
                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Hillary Clinton vs Jeb Bush.....oh man!! Get me some tickets to that brawl!!
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                    please, no. not now.
                    Too soon?

There is no harm in speculating, but I agree with you. Before the party nominates any candidate they need to address the platform. Otherwise you may end up with a square peg in a round hole again. Top of the list needs to be immigration reform. Second are the social issues with softer stances.
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      Paul Ryan would lose in a rout. He doesn't even bring anything in his home state. He's a younger, more boring version of Romney.
                      Yes, Paul Ryan also wouldn't help with the minority vote. Obama even won 73% of the Asian-American vote. The republicans are going to need a Rubio or Jindal that is somewhat a social liberal like Huntsman. Of course, such a candidate most likely wouldn't survive the republican primaries.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        Yes, Paul Ryan also wouldn't help with the minority vote. Obama even won 73% of the Asian-American vote. The republicans are going to need a Rubio or Jindal that is somewhat a social liberal like Huntsman. Of course, such a candidate most likely wouldn't survive the republican primaries.
                        Jeb's son George looks like he's going to run for a state office in Texas. He recently registered. He may be a GOP future star. Half hispanic. Political roots. UT-A educated lawyer. Business owner/entrepreneur. Navy veteran with a deployment in Afghanistan.

I agree though. We need a fiscal conservative-social moderate in office. And to get there, the GOP has to begin altering its platform now.
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

I would absolute love to have this avatar for 4 or 8 years...

"Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
                            I would absolute love to have this avatar for 4 or 8 years...

That picture must be 20 years old.
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Or thirty.
                              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Working...
                              X