The Electoral College Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    What about the Senate? Should we get rid of that too? If we keep it I don't think Utah should have the same number of senators as Texas. Maybe Romney and Lee can flip a coin to see who gets to stay.

We should just let New York, Florida and Texas decide who will be president from now on. (California wants to be their own nation so we should just let them.) The rest of the nation can stay home or go to work on presidential election day.
    I've already addressed this with your buddy Walter. The Senate is fine as is. It allows smaller states to get their voice out there on an even plane. But it can't do anything without the House agreeing with it, and vice-versa which should allow for compromise and working together to come up with solutions that work for everyone. That is the way it should work even if it's not efficient. However, the two-party system is destroying it right now by championing polarization and demonization of the other side. Both parties deserve to go down. They are the real problem right now.
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-22-2019, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      But this undercuts the correlation of a bad president being elected while losing the popular vote. And Bush was a good president btw.
      I don't think Bush was very good -- slightly better than Obama. The Patriot Act was a pretty egregious attack on civil liberties, as was his warrantless domestic spying which illegally went beyond even the Patriot Act. Still, I acknowledge he thought he was doing a good thing.

But he was still the best of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln combined compared to Trump.
      Last edited by BlueK; 03-22-2019, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
        I don't think Bush was very good -- slightly better than Obama. The Patriot Act was a pretty egregious attack on civil liberties, as was his warrantless domestic spying which illegally went beyond even the Patriot Act. Still, I acknowledge he thought he was doing a good thing.

But he was still the best of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln combined compared to Trump.
        Yeah, I’m not sure where the Bush love comes from on this board. He wasn’t a good president even ignoring the Iraq war. The Patriot Act and the Great Recession were pretty bad. But I guess in contrast to Trump, he is good.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Yeah, I’m not sure where the Bush love comes from on this board. He wasn’t a good president even ignoring the Iraq war. The Patriot Act and the Great Recession were pretty bad. But I guess in contrast to Trump, he is good.
          You gonna blame that on Bush?

He took office in time for some pretty tough challenges to hit our great country, and he was a leader. He was one of the few presidents we've had in my lifetime that actually led. He was a good man who did what he believed was the right thing.

Comment

He took office in time for some pretty tough challenges to hit our great country, and he was a leader. He was one of the few presidents we've had in my lifetime that actually led. He was a good man who did what he believed was the right thing.
            Great logic.

BD on rapists... hey, other than raping that one woman (who deserved it by the way), a really good guy.

BD on murderers... hey, other than that killing rampage (brown people had it coming), a nice fella who is just misunderstood.

BD on Bush... hey, other than being responsible for hundreds of thousand of civilians being killed and several thousand US soldiers dying by exaggerating a threat that never existed (and most people, including UN inspectors said didn't exist), Bush was a great leader.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              Great logic.

BD on rapists... hey, other than raping that one woman (who deserved it by the way), a really good guy.

BD on murderers... hey, other than that killing rampage (brown people had it coming), a nice fella who is just misunderstood.

BD on Bush... hey, other than being responsible for hundreds of thousand of civilians being killed and several thousand US soldiers dying by exaggerating a threat that never existed (and most people, including UN inspectors said didn't exist), Bush was a great leader.
              I can see how much you hate him, but I'm at a loss to connect what I said to any of that.

Comment

I can see how much you hate him, but I'm at a loss to connect what I said to any of that.
                Which is probably why you think Bush is a "good President". You can't make obvious connections about his dishonesty.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

Which is probably why you think Bush is a "good President". You can't make obvious connections about his dishonesty.
                  Haters gonna hate.

Comment

Great logic.

Ha. Most predictable response ever.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Ha. Most predictable response ever.
                      The Iraq war wasn’t an innocent mistake. It was undertaken by an administration stocked with slick serial liars and manipulators. America invaded Iraq because the White House wanted a war (and the MSM wanted a war too, but that is a topic for another conversation). The justifications for the invasion were nothing but falsified pretexts. And President Bush was at the top of that. Anyone that believes President Bush was a "good president" is a dunce.

Comment

The Iraq war wasn’t an innocent mistake. It was undertaken by an administration stocked with slick serial liars and manipulators. America invaded Iraq because the White House wanted a war (and the MSM wanted a war too, but that is a topic for another conversation). The justifications for the invasion were nothing but falsified pretexts. And President Bush was at the top of that. Anyone that believes President Bush was a "good president" is a dunce.
                        Where do you stand on the JKF Assassination, the Lunar Landing, and the 9/11 Terrorist Attacks?

Comment

Where do you stand on the JKF Assassination, the Lunar Landing, and the 9/11 Terrorist Attacks?
                          It was Cigarette Smoking Man! He works for the CIA.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Great article in the New York Times about why the Electoral College is not good for our country:
                            https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/o...ular-vote.html

I've felt that the Electoral College makes my vote meaningless for a long time. When I lived in California, it didn't matter who I voted for because the state would go to the Democrat. Now that I live in Idaho, it doesn't matter who I vote for because the state will go to the Republican. And the swing states have much more power in the general election.

Anyway, the article explains it much better than I can.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                              Great article in the New York Times about why the Electoral College is not good for our country:
                              https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/o...ular-vote.html

I've felt that the Electoral College makes my vote meaningless for a long time. When I lived in California, it didn't matter who I voted for because the state would go to the Democrat. Now that I live in Idaho, it doesn't matter who I vote for because the state will go to the Republican. And the swing states have much more power in the general election.

Anyway, the article explains it much better than I can.
                              You think your vote will matter more when you are in a bigger pool?

I like the electoral college and its premise is as valid today as it was when it was instituted. It was instituted to balance large states power vs. little states. Today there still is a huge urban/rural divide where the interests of rural America will be squashed if we go to a popular vote.

It will be tyranny of the majority.

Comment

Working...
                              X