No announcement yet.

The Electoral College Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allocating electoral votes to the popular vote winner is dumb. However, allocating those electoral votes to a candidate that wins a majority of the popular vote isn’t a bad idea.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• What about this in response to the compact?

From Tara Ross on Twitter:

Maybe non-NPV states need their own Interstate Compact: If #NPV compact is in operation (& ONLY in those yrs),all non-NPV states agree not 2 release internal pop vote totals until after meetings of #ElectoralCollege. NPV won't be able to tabulate nat'l pop vote total they need

Comment

• If this compact were fully adopted and upheld, would you ever see a general election presidential candidate in a rural county, or even outside of the top 20 or so population centers ever again? Tell me again how this is supposed to reduce polarization.

I suppose if the argument is "shut up, hicks. you have a outsized voice in presidential politics and we need to crush it", that at least makes sense. But come out and say it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• I like the electoral college. I would leave it alone.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
            If this compact were fully adopted and upheld, would you ever see a general election presidential candidate in a rural county, or even outside of the top 20 or so population centers ever again?
            if you're talking about one of the maybe 40-45 or so non-swing states we never see it now.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              California is one of the states that has already passed it.
              LOL@California... The other blue states need to get on-board!
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Also, doesn't the Colorado law disenfranchise their own voters? "Hey, it doesn't matter how you folks vote, we are casting out lots with whatever the other states decide." Seems like that would be ripe for a legal challenge.
                It is just telling voters in Colorado they can just stay home... their vote doesn't matter. (Well OK, less than before.)
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

if you're talking about one of the maybe 40-45 or so non-swing states we never see it now.
                  Are you suggesting that currently, general election candidates visit only 5-10 states during their candidacy? That's demonstrably false. I just looked up Trump. In 2016 he held rallies in 42 states, 25 of which he visited after May 1. And ads are everywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                    Are you suggesting that currently, general election candidates visit only 5-10 states during their candidacy? That's demonstrably false. I just looked up Trump. In 2016 he held rallies in 42 states, 25 of which he visited after May 1. And ads are everywhere.

They focus on those states.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...one-handy-gif/

Comment

California is one of the states that has already passed it.
                      Yeah, I saw this on a report after posting. As I recall Washington and Illinois and some others have also willingly ceded their electoral college votes to the rest of us. How kind.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

LOL@Clinton What the hell was she doing in California? Didn't know it was a swing state. She is so dumb.

I hope she runs again in 2020.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

But their policies are currently more broad. Without the electoral college, their policies would turn to benefit only the people in large cities and would ignore the rural areas.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Psychedelic Warlord says he will take Texas... and wants to scrap the electoral college!

Beto O'Rourke, in NH, predicts he could take Texas in the general election

Beto O’Rourke predicts that if he wins the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination, he’ll take his native state of Texas in the general election.

The former congressman from El Paso also said he would “absolutely” support his campaign staff if they wanted to unionize. He also would consider lowering the federal voting age to 16, scrapping the Electoral College, increasing the number of justices on the Supreme Court, and eliminating the filibuster in the Senate.
                            [...]
                            Winning Texas and its 38 electoral votes would be a major coup for the Democrats.
                            [...]
                            https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bet...neral-election

Wait, I thought the Dems wanted to get rid of the electoral college?
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              Psychedelic Warlord says he will take Texas... and wants to scrap the electoral college!

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bet...neral-election

Wait, I thought the Dems wanted to get rid of the electoral college?
                              When was the last time O'Rourke won a statewide election in Texas?
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                When was the last time O'Rourke won a statewide election in Texas?
                                Given that Beto only lost by 220,000 votes in 2018 the Dems consider that a victory... what they don’t mention is that was against Ted Cruz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X