Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    "If you can't win the game, change the rules."
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      Three of the largest active threads in the current events forum are filled with you and Frank handwringing about what Trump may have done and mind-reading what he will try to do. Forgive us if we can't detect sarcasm from genuine concerns at this poibt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      Forgiven. But Trump is still garbage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        Three of the largest active threads in the current events forum are filled with you and Frank handwringing about what Trump may have done and mind-reading what he will try to do. Forgive us if we can't detect sarcasm from genuine concerns at this poibt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
        I’m glad you participate but you don’t have to read them if they bother you. Obama was the subject of a multitude of threads as well, let’s not act like this scrutiny is new.

Comment

• So after reading a few posts in one of the Iraq war threads it stuck out to me that of the only two presidents elected over the last 130 years who lost the popular vote, one started a war 80% of us today think was a bad decision and insanely costly in terms of life and money. And the other is Trump. Maybe the next one who wins that way will be better.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            I’m glad you participate but you don’t have to read them if they bother you. Obama was the subject of a multitude of threads as well, let’s not act like this scrutiny is new.
            It's not the fact of the scrutiny that he was commenting on. It is the histrionic nature of so much of the commentary.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              So after reading a few posts in one of the Iraq war threads it stuck out to me that of the only two presidents elected over the last 130 years who lost the popular vote, one started a war 80% of us today think was a bad decision and insanely costly in terms of life and money. And the other is Trump. Maybe the next one who wins that way will be better.
              But then you look at who they beat and think . . . it could have been even worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                But then you look at who they beat and think . . . it could have been even worse.
                I guess anything is possible.

Comment

So after reading a few posts in one of the Iraq war threads it stuck out to me that of the only two presidents elected over the last 130 years who lost the popular vote, one started a war 80% of us today think was a bad decision and insanely costly in terms of life and money. And the other is Trump. Maybe the next one who wins that way will be better.
                  What's your point?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    What's your point?
                    You can't get my point or you just don't like the point made? I think you mean the latter.

But to spell it out, the EC is essentially moot unless it delivers a different result than the popular vote. That's only happened two times in the last 130 years and both of those presidents are going to be considered well below average when all is said and done. It's just interesting. Like I said, hopefully the next time it happens it will deliver a better president. Although Bush was a good man and meant well. He was just a much better Major League Baseball owner than he was president.

Comment

You can't get my point or you just don't like the point made? I think you mean the latter.

But to spell it out, the EC is essentially moot unless it delivers a different result than the popular vote. That's only happened two times in the last 130 years and both of those presidents are going to be considered well below average when all is said and done. It's just interesting. Like I said, hopefully the next time it happens it will deliver a better president. Although Bush was a good man and meant well. He was just a much better Major League Baseball owner than he was president.
                      Other than the disaster in Iraq, Bush was not a bad president. Not at all convinced that Gore would have been better.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Other than the disaster in Iraq, Bush was not a bad president. Not at all convinced that Gore would have been better.
                        I think his worst moment was the Patriot Act. But congress should take as much blame for that as he does. They did nothing to stop that POS bill.
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

I guess anything is possible.
                          But this undercuts the correlation of a bad president being elected while losing the popular vote. And Bush was a good president btw.

Comment

The more I think about this, the more I dislike this argument. The fact that it happens rarely is argument for keeping it. And the fact that you or I or anyone else dislikes the results of these two elections is not a valid reason for discarding it. The entire point of the electoral college is to avoid the tyranny of the majority. Yes of course a majority will dislike the outcome in such cases. That is by definition.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

What about the Senate? Should we get rid of that too? If we keep it I don't think Utah should have the same number of senators as Texas. Maybe Romney and Lee can flip a coin to see who gets to stay.

We should just let New York, Florida and Texas decide who will be president from now on. (California wants to be their own nation so we should just let them.) The rest of the nation can stay home or go to work on presidential election day.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                                I think his worst moment was the Patriot Act. But congress should take as much blame for that as he does. They did nothing to stop that POS bill.
                                Not to mention congress keeps renewing that POS bill.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X