The Electoral College Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    But their policies are currently more broad. Without the electoral college, their policies would turn to benefit only the people in large cities and would ignore the rural areas.
    Trump's policies don't seem more broad to me. He tries to appeal only to his biggest fans. So I think you can make a good case that with him at least, it has the opposite effect. If he had to win on the popular vote maybe he'd be a little less extreme? I mean, his hardcore fans probably love the idea of separating children from parents at the border, but that was a very unpopular idea among the broader population. That would be one example.
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-20-2019, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Simple democracy is rarely a good idea. Yeah, let's let two wolves and a sheep vote on what's for dinner.
      Which is why democracy stops at the state level; the highest democratically elected leaders in this country are the Governors. We are the "United States" after all. Outside of France, is there a country in the G20 whose president is elected by direct popular vote? (I admit that I'm just going on memory and could be wrong.)

BlueK still hasn't stated exactly why the EC needs to go but the Senate is A-OK. Proportional representation is even more "unfair" in the Senate than in the EC, where one Senator from WY (or ND or SD or ...) has the same vote as one senator from CA.
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        LOL@Clinton What the hell was she doing in California? ....
        The same thing that brings most Democratic candidates to California: money. This was her ATM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
          Which is why democracy stops at the state level; the highest democratically elected leaders in this country are the Governors. We are the "United States" after all. Outside of France, is there a country in the G20 whose president is elected by direct popular vote? (I admit that I'm just going on memory and could be wrong.)

BlueK still hasn't stated exactly why the EC needs to go but the Senate is A-OK. Proportional representation is even more "unfair" in the Senate than in the EC, where one Senator from WY (or ND or SD or ...) has the same vote as one senator from CA.
          The President is just a single person with enormous power relative to everyone else in government. The Senate is a body that can't really get anything done without agreement from the House, other than than just a few things like confirming presidential appointments. Big difference. I'm perfectly comfortable with the checks and balances there.
          Last edited by BlueK; 03-20-2019, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            The President is just a single person with enormous power relative to everyone else in government.
            Disagree. But I can see why you would state this as you have admitted you believe that President Trump has the capability to abolish term limits.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              The same thing that brings most Democratic candidates to California: money. This was her ATM.
              That makes sense... So California is where Clinton got her $1 billion+ dollars out of the ATM.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Disagree. But I can see why you would state this as you have admitted you believe that President Trump has the capability to abolish term limits.
                Hey, maybe Drumpf could get rid of the Electoral College as well.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  If this compact were fully adopted and upheld, would you ever see a general election presidential candidate in a rural county, or even outside of the top 20 or so population centers ever again? Tell me again how this is supposed to reduce polarization.

I suppose if the argument is "shut up, hicks. you have a outsized voice in presidential politics and we need to crush it", that at least makes sense. But come out and say it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  If you read some of the responses to the original tweet telling people why the Electoral College needs to stay from Tara What'shername - you'll see exactly that. Some people complaining that their vote carries less weight than an "uneducated farmer".

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                    Abandoning the electoral college will totally get rid of polarization
                    Why is Wyoming so huge on this map?
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Why is Wyoming so huge on this map?
                      Cowboy hats.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Not what I said. Of course he doesn't have the Constitutional authority to do that. I think you are sarcasm impaired.
                        Last edited by BlueK; 03-20-2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                          Not what I said. Of course he doesn't have the Constitutional authority to do that. I think you are sarcasm impaired.
                          Three of the largest active threads in the current events forum are filled with you and Frank handwringing about what Trump may have done and mind-reading what he will try to do. Forgive us if we can't detect sarcasm from genuine concerns at this poibt.

Comment

Three of the largest active threads in the current events forum are filled with you and Frank handwringing about what Trump may have done and mind-reading what he will try to do. Forgive us if we can't detect sarcasm from genuine concerns at this poibt.

[emoji23][emoji23]
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• None of the candidates have explained how they propose to get two-thirds of the states to agree with this amendment, though this has led them to point out another flaw with the Constitution: that it’s “way too hard to change when you suddenly think you have a much better idea.”

Comment

Part of franK’s schtick is to claim sarcasm when they say something really dumb.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X