The Electoral College Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Electoral College Sucks

What's the point in the year 2012? The candidates spend 90% of their time and money in 10 states. Too bad for the people that live in the other 40 states whose vote doesn't mean much.

If you're a Democrat in Utah, there's no need to vote. Likewise if you're a Republican in Hawaii.

It makes no sense that the majority of US voters might pick one candidate, but the electoral college picks another. This isn't 1803.

For the record, I can't vote for either candidate in good conscience. Obama is pro-abortion and Romney tells you what you want to hear and is out of touch with most Americans.
    "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

I feel this way a lot of the time. AA made an argument as to why it's still necessary, and I can see what he's saying. His basic argument is that it distributes the power to elect more proportionally instead of just focusing on urban centers. I do wonder, however, how many people there are -- like myself -- who are located in urban centers and abstain from voting simply because they don't see the point. I think Romney's kind of a weenie, but if I did cast a vote tomorrow, it would probably be for him. But as it stands, there's no point in making my way toward a booth.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

So instead of them spending time in those states, youd rather they spend their time in CA, TX, NY and Chicago? Utah and hawaii would still be ignored, same with the midwest minus chicago, and most of the west minus the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        I feel this way a lot of the time. AA made an argument as to why it's still necessary, and I can see what he's saying. His basic argument is that it distributes the power to elect more proportionally instead of just focusing on urban centers. I do wonder, however, how many people there are -- like myself -- who are located in urban centers and abstain from voting simply because they don't see the point. I think Romney's kind of a weenie, but if I did cast a vote tomorrow, it would probably be for him. But as it stands, there's no point in making my way toward a booth.
        no propositions or local elections that are important to you?
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          no propositions or local elections that are important to you?
          As much as I want to marry a dude and smoke pot on the sidewalk, no.

Comment

Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
            What's the point in the year 2012? The candidates spend 90% of their time and money in 10 states. Too bad for the people that live in the other 40 states whose vote doesn't mean much.

If you're a Democrat in Utah, there's no need to vote. Likewise if you're a Republican in Hawaii.

It makes no sense that the majority of US voters might pick one candidate, but the electoral college picks another. This isn't 1803.

For the record, I can't vote for either candidate in good conscience. Obama is pro-abortion and Romney tells you what you want to hear and is out of touch with most Americans.
            Don't blame the electoral college, blame the state legislators that mandate a winner takes all for their state. Two states have a proportional system among their electoral votes. I like the electoral college and think mob rule from the popular vote is a terrible system.

Comment

Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
              Don't blame the electoral college, blame the state legislators that mandate a winner takes all for their state. Two states have a proportional system among their electoral votes. I like the electoral college and think mob rule from the popular vote is a terrible system.
              I would like to see electoral votes given appropriately by district in every state.

Instead of mob rule, it comes down to 20 districts in Ohio. It's one extreme or the other.
              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

You don't use mail-in ballots (not to be confused with Gracie, mailing it in), in King county?

Comment

Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
                  Why do you think "mob rule" is a terrible system?
                  "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

Comment

As much as I want to marry a dude and smoke pot on the sidewalk, no.
                    Come on, Mr. Lazy Ass. Exercise your right to vote and celebrate democracy! It is a wonderful thing.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
                      Why do you think "mob rule" is a terrible system?
                      Because you will have 5 or 6 urban centers decide the vote.

And because the electoral college system was inspired by God.
                      Last edited by USUC; 11-05-2012, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                        You don't use mail-in ballots (not to be confused with Gracie, mailing it in), in King county?
                        Maybe? I do get something in the mail. Usually just throw it away in the recycling bin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Come on, Mr. Lazy Ass. Exercise your right to vote and celebrate democracy! It is a wonderful thing.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            I wasn't talking to you.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Hey Dickhead, you think maybee people are drawing a line in the sand and pledging their lives and sacred honor to protect your right to vote? Get off your fucking ass, stop desecrating their sacrifice and vote. Vote to marry a dude, vote to puff puff give. Vote for 4 more years of Obama or be part of the historic march of Mormonism, I am bully that Romney will do better than Brother Joseph did in 1844, but in any case stop this pedantic bullshit that my vote doesn't count and take charge of the suffrage that so many sacrificed for you to have.

God bless and vote righteously!
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X