No announcement yet.

The Electoral College Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the electoral college a lot more than a nationwide popular vote. It doesn’t matter if it was conceived to appease southern slave owners as that fact doesn’t negate its efficacy in current times.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      He hates all the gerrymandering.
      Shouldn't everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
        The law of unintended consequences is at work here. No highly complex social construction can be adequately modeled such that when a social policy is implemented that all consequences are predictable. The unintended consequences may be a net positive or negative independent of the original arguments for or against the policy. Knowing the original argument is obviously useful, as it should inform any future decisions on change to an enacted policy. However, a claim of irrelevancy on grounds of original arguments is invalid. In fact, the 230 year gap is of significant importance, the culture, technology, population, etc. has changed so drastically that the assumptions that would form the basis for original arguments are most likely untenable at this point.

Discussion and argumentation should primarily be about likely intended consequences given current societal norms and broadened understanding of the human psyche.
        The constitution is not a policy or an argument.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          Shouldn't everyone?
          I think that would be up to them.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            Shouldn't everyone?
            :facepalm:

Somewhere, David Burge is weeping.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
              Without reading back in this thread much, are you in favor of a national popular vote?
              yeah, I think I am because the EC is not doing what it was intended to do in the first place anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                I wonder what BlueK thinks of the Senate?
                The senate is fine as is.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  Agreed. And there is a process for amending it as needed.

But interestingly, with the Electoral College it wouldn't really even need that because the Constitution gives states complete freedom in handing out the electoral votes however they want.
                  Last edited by BlueK; 12-04-2018, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    Semantics, maybe wrong word? The constitution is amendable, which is similar in nature to a policy, it just has a more robust mechanism for change. Though the argument remains the same. If some believe the need for the electoral college has ended and are willing to invoke said mechanisms (which will require argumentation), then simply establishing a change to the assumptions of the original arguments is necessary but insufficient. We are not the same society.

It's the same problem with invoking the inscription at the statue of liberty as justification for open borders. Even if that inscription was part of the original statue (it wasn't), invoking sentiment from well over 200 years ago is not sufficient argument. Things have changed--and those changes have to be articulated and examined.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      I like the electoral college a lot more than a nationwide popular vote. It doesn’t matter if it was conceived to appease southern slave owners as that fact doesn’t negate its efficacy in current times.
                      What is the current efficacy outside of purely political benefits to one side or the other? If we had a multi-party system I could see the usefulness of it. But we don't have that and probably never will.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                        He hates all the gerrymandering.
                        Ha ha. It would be wild if they could re-draw the lines of the states.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                          What is the current efficacy outside of purely political benefits to one side or the other? If we had a multi-party system I could see the usefulness of it. But we don't have that and probably never will.
                          It preserves power at the state level, which power has rapidly diminished over the past 100 or so years. The tenth amendment is almost null and void at this point. But I think the idea of being governed at the state level moreso than at the federal level is more important.

A nationwide popular vote for president would ensure we’d have a president that is elected by the urban and suburban areas of the nation. The rural areas would have little to no say. That’s already the case with senators who are no longer elected by state reps but instead by statewide popular vote.

I guess I’m a bit tainted in that I have in-laws that live in a rural area of a liberal state. They feel like they have no say in state government and the enacted regulations are driving their businesses a couple miles east to Idaho, which hasn’t yet become as anti rural as their current state of residence.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

if true, it's an irrelevant argument because that's not why it was instituted nor does it solve that issue. Read the article.
                            I did. Not irrelevant at all. It was never intended that the people directly choose their president. The EC mitigates at least some consequences of presidential election by vote of the people.
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

yeah, I think I am because the EC is not doing what it was intended to do in the first place anyway.
                              Then maybe it's time to get a new Executive Committee.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                Then maybe it's time to get a new Executive Committee.
                                Pelado is on a roll this week.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X