No announcement yet.

The Electoral College Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing away with the electoral college means Trump would never be re-elected. No chance in Hell.

That said - I'd probably prefer keeping the electoral college even if it means 4 more years of Trump.

Comment

I still hate the electoral college. Only real way to get a third party candidate elected is to get rid of the EC.
      "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullyute View Post
        I still hate the electoral college. Only real way to get a third party candidate elected is to get rid of the EC.
        Getting rid of the electoral college is easy... In fact, Colorado has already done it.

Gov. Polis signs national popular vote bill

Gov. Jared Polis signed the controversial national popular vote bill into law Friday.

The new law requires Colorado electors to the Electoral College vote for the winner of the national popular vote for president and not the winner of the Colorado popular vote.
        [...]
        https://kdvr.com/2019/03/15/gov-poli...bill-into-law/

I think all the blue states should do this.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          Getting rid of the electoral college is easy... In fact, Colorado has already done it.

https://kdvr.com/2019/03/15/gov-poli...bill-into-law/

I think all the blue states should do this.
          Colorado is so dumb.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Colorado is so dumb.
            But we are too baked to notice.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
              But we are too baked to notice.
              It is going to be hilarious when the popular vote winner is someone they don't like.

Would be even more fun if the resulting vote prevents an electoral college victory for someone they don't like. Bwahahahaha...
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

It is going to be hilarious when the popular vote winner is someone they don't like.

Would be even more fun if the resulting vote prevents an electoral college victory for someone they don't like. Bwahahahaha...
                So so stupid. Just handing over their votes to the rest of the country.

Maybe California should do this as well.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

It’s pointless unless everyone does it. That being said, I think Wyoming, Idaho and the entire South should pass that legislation right away.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                    It’s pointless unless everyone does it. That being said, I think Wyoming, Idaho and the entire South should pass that legislation right away.
                    Why on earth would they do that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      And people say legalized pot is not a problem.
                      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Anyone who does not live in California, Texas, New York, Florida, Ohio, or Pennsylvania should be very happy with the electoral college
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          I was being facetious as those states are more likely to vote against the popular vote for a democrat.

Comment

• Amending the Constitution to get rid of the EC would be damn near impossible. But I think this cute little ploy is just as unlikely. A fair amount of swing states would Jane to sign on to get this to 270. Why on earth would swing states do this? They have so much power right now.

Also, this would be challenged in the courts. It would be interesting to see how they would handle it.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                              Amending the Constitution to get rid of the EC would be damn near impossible. But I think this cute little ploy is just as unlikely. A fair amount of swing states would Jane to sign on to get this to 270. Why on earth would swing states do this? They have so much power right now.

Also, this would be challenged in the courts. It would be interesting to see how they would handle it.
                              As far as getting to 270, the number of states that have already passed it is now within 89 electoral votes of getting to 270. New Mexico and Delaware have just passed it in both houses of their legislatures and are awaiting their governor to sign, which would take that down to 81 electoral votes still needed. Also, I believe the states that have already passed it in at least one house of their legislature would take it past 270 if those bills go the rest of the way through. So yeah, it does have a pretty decent chance of happening in the next couple of years.

Legally, the problem opponents would have is that the Constitution says nothing about how individual states can decide to allocate their electoral votes and there is no federal statute around the issue either. So there wouldn't be a strong case against it in the courts and would be a pretty egregious case of judicial activism if it were struck down. If it turned out to be unpopular nationally Congress could easily pass something that could override it by mandating how states allocate their electoral votes.
                              Last edited by BlueK; 03-20-2019, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                                So so stupid. Just handing over their votes to the rest of the country.

Maybe California should do this as well.
                                California is one of the states that has already passed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X