Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Electoral College Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    "If you can't win the game, change the rules."
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Three of the largest active threads in the current events forum are filled with you and Frank handwringing about what Trump may have done and mind-reading what he will try to do. Forgive us if we can't detect sarcasm from genuine concerns at this poibt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Forgiven. But Trump is still garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Three of the largest active threads in the current events forum are filled with you and Frank handwringing about what Trump may have done and mind-reading what he will try to do. Forgive us if we can't detect sarcasm from genuine concerns at this poibt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Iím glad you participate but you donít have to read them if they bother you. Obama was the subject of a multitude of threads as well, letís not act like this scrutiny is new.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

So after reading a few posts in one of the Iraq war threads it stuck out to me that of the only two presidents elected over the last 130 years who lost the popular vote, one started a war 80% of us today think was a bad decision and insanely costly in terms of life and money. And the other is Trump. Maybe the next one who wins that way will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Iím glad you participate but you donít have to read them if they bother you. Obama was the subject of a multitude of threads as well, letís not act like this scrutiny is new.
    It's not the fact of the scrutiny that he was commenting on. It is the histrionic nature of so much of the commentary.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    So after reading a few posts in one of the Iraq war threads it stuck out to me that of the only two presidents elected over the last 130 years who lost the popular vote, one started a war 80% of us today think was a bad decision and insanely costly in terms of life and money. And the other is Trump. Maybe the next one who wins that way will be better.
    But then you look at who they beat and think . . . it could have been even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    But then you look at who they beat and think . . . it could have been even worse.
    I guess anything is possible.

What's your point?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    What's your point?
    You can't get my point or you just don't like the point made? I think you mean the latter.

But to spell it out, the EC is essentially moot unless it delivers a different result than the popular vote. That's only happened two times in the last 130 years and both of those presidents are going to be considered well below average when all is said and done. It's just interesting. Like I said, hopefully the next time it happens it will deliver a better president. Although Bush was a good man and meant well. He was just a much better Major League Baseball owner than he was president.

You can't get my point or you just don't like the point made? I think you mean the latter.

But to spell it out, the EC is essentially moot unless it delivers a different result than the popular vote. That's only happened two times in the last 130 years and both of those presidents are going to be considered well below average when all is said and done. It's just interesting. Like I said, hopefully the next time it happens it will deliver a better president. Although Bush was a good man and meant well. He was just a much better Major League Baseball owner than he was president.
    Other than the disaster in Iraq, Bush was not a bad president. Not at all convinced that Gore would have been better.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Other than the disaster in Iraq, Bush was not a bad president. Not at all convinced that Gore would have been better.
    I think his worst moment was the Patriot Act. But congress should take as much blame for that as he does. They did nothing to stop that POS bill.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

I guess anything is possible.
    But this undercuts the correlation of a bad president being elected while losing the popular vote. And Bush was a good president btw.

The more I think about this, the more I dislike this argument. The fact that it happens rarely is argument for keeping it. And the fact that you or I or anyone else dislikes the results of these two elections is not a valid reason for discarding it. The entire point of the electoral college is to avoid the tyranny of the majority. Yes of course a majority will dislike the outcome in such cases. That is by definition.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

What about the Senate? Should we get rid of that too? If we keep it I don't think Utah should have the same number of senators as Texas. Maybe Romney and Lee can flip a coin to see who gets to stay.

We should just let New York, Florida and Texas decide who will be president from now on. (California wants to be their own nation so we should just let them.) The rest of the nation can stay home or go to work on presidential election day.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I think his worst moment was the Patriot Act. But congress should take as much blame for that as he does. They did nothing to stop that POS bill.
    Not to mention congress keeps renewing that POS bill.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    What about the Senate? Should we get rid of that too? If we keep it I don't think Utah should have the same number of senators as Texas. Maybe Romney and Lee can flip a coin to see who gets to stay.

We should just let New York, Florida and Texas decide who will be president from now on. (California wants to be their own nation so we should just let them.) The rest of the nation can stay home or go to work on presidential election day.
    I've already addressed this with your buddy Walter. The Senate is fine as is. It allows smaller states to get their voice out there on an even plane. But it can't do anything without the House agreeing with it, and vice-versa which should allow for compromise and working together to come up with solutions that work for everyone. That is the way it should work even if it's not efficient. However, the two-party system is destroying it right now by championing polarization and demonization of the other side. Both parties deserve to go down. They are the real problem right now.
    Last edited by BlueK; Yesterday at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    But this undercuts the correlation of a bad president being elected while losing the popular vote. And Bush was a good president btw.
    I don't think Bush was very good -- slightly better than Obama. The Patriot Act was a pretty egregious attack on civil liberties, as was his warrantless domestic spying which illegally went beyond even the Patriot Act. Still, I acknowledge he thought he was doing a good thing.

But he was still the best of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln combined compared to Trump.
    Last edited by BlueK; Yesterday at 07:09 AM.

I don't think Bush was very good -- slightly better than Obama. The Patriot Act was a pretty egregious attack on civil liberties, as was his warrantless domestic spying which illegally went beyond even the Patriot Act. Still, I acknowledge he thought he was doing a good thing.

But he was still the best of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln combined compared to Trump.
    Yeah, Iím not sure where the Bush love comes from on this board. He wasnít a good president even ignoring the Iraq war. The Patriot Act and the Great Recession were pretty bad. But I guess in contrast to Trump, he is good.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, ďspectator discipleshipĒ is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Yeah, I’m not sure where the Bush love comes from on this board. He wasn’t a good president even ignoring the Iraq war. The Patriot Act and the Great Recession were pretty bad. But I guess in contrast to Trump, he is good.
    You gonna blame that on Bush?

He took office in time for some pretty tough challenges to hit our great country, and he was a leader. He was one of the few presidents we've had in my lifetime that actually led. He was a good man who did what he believed was the right thing.

He took office in time for some pretty tough challenges to hit our great country, and he was a leader. He was one of the few presidents we've had in my lifetime that actually led. He was a good man who did what he believed was the right thing.
    Great logic.

BD on rapists... hey, other than raping that one woman (who deserved it by the way), a really good guy.

BD on murderers... hey, other than that killing rampage (brown people had it coming), a nice fella who is just misunderstood.

BD on Bush... hey, other than being responsible for hundreds of thousand of civilians being killed and several thousand US soldiers dying by exaggerating a threat that never existed (and most people, including UN inspectors said didn't exist), Bush was a great leader.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Great logic.

BD on rapists... hey, other than raping that one woman (who deserved it by the way), a really good guy.

BD on murderers... hey, other than that killing rampage (brown people had it coming), a nice fella who is just misunderstood.

BD on Bush... hey, other than being responsible for hundreds of thousand of civilians being killed and several thousand US soldiers dying by exaggerating a threat that never existed (and most people, including UN inspectors said didn't exist), Bush was a great leader.
    I can see how much you hate him, but I'm at a loss to connect what I said to any of that.

I can see how much you hate him, but I'm at a loss to connect what I said to any of that.
    Which is probably why you think Bush is a "good President". You can't make obvious connections about his dishonesty.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Which is probably why you think Bush is a "good President". You can't make obvious connections about his dishonesty.
    Haters gonna hate.

Great logic.

Ha. Most predictable response ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Ha. Most predictable response ever.
    The Iraq war wasn’t an innocent mistake. It was undertaken by an administration stocked with slick serial liars and manipulators. America invaded Iraq because the White House wanted a war (and the MSM wanted a war too, but that is a topic for another conversation). The justifications for the invasion were nothing but falsified pretexts. And President Bush was at the top of that. Anyone that believes President Bush was a "good president" is a dunce.

The Iraq war wasnít an innocent mistake. It was undertaken by an administration stocked with slick serial liars and manipulators. America invaded Iraq because the White House wanted a war (and the MSM wanted a war too, but that is a topic for another conversation). The justifications for the invasion were nothing but falsified pretexts. And President Bush was at the top of that. Anyone that believes President Bush was a "good president" is a dunce.
    Where do you stand on the JKF Assassination, the Lunar Landing, and the 9/11 Terrorist Attacks?

Where do you stand on the JKF Assassination, the Lunar Landing, and the 9/11 Terrorist Attacks?
    It was Cigarette Smoking Man! He works for the CIA.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!