Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's 2nd Term

[reserved]
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

As stupid as Cali may be, his overall premise is likely correct. Attorneys rejoice, your man will likely be back, is my guess.

Comment

so will this thread be deleted if we are surprised on Tuesday?
        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

I am starting think Moliere could teach the French a thing or two about early capitulation. Yowza.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            I am starting think Moliere could teach the French a thing or two about early capitulation. Yowza.
            I presume Moliere served his mission in France. It looks like he went native.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
              so will this thread be deleted when we are surprised on Tuesday?
              I think it should stand forever as a monument to Moliere's penchant for string pulling!
              "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
              "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
              "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

He should consolidate his power, reduce any reliance on the senate, even though his Sith Lord is the majority Leader, and then embark on a more imperial USA.

Comment

Originally posted by edward777 View Post
                  He should consolidate his power, reduce any reliance on the senate, even though his Sith Lord is the majority Leader, and then embark on a more imperial USA.
                  [YOUTUBE]RVl_sjUrNQE[/YOUTUBE]
                  One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                  SU

Comment

Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                    [YOUTUBE]RVl_sjUrNQE[/YOUTUBE]
                    excellent
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Last edited by Moliere; 11-07-2012, 01:11 PM.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

So let's get this started. What is Obama up against for his 2nd term?

- Fiscal cliff: This one will be a doozy. This is coming up so soon because him and Boehner already couldn't work out a deal. We ended up with the super committee crap that couldn't work together. Now we either get something done or we ended up in sequestration with big tax increases and big spending cuts. Personally I think the boys in Washington play nice this time around and get something done. I hope it still includes spending cuts and tax increases, but just not of the same size. I give this a 10/10 chance of working out.

- Buffett rule: I think that either as part of the fiscal cliff reform or just a bit later we'll finally see the expiration of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. I don't think there will be any movement though on the Buffett rule. Too many rich people like Obama and they also like their money. Smart people know Obama is bluffing on this and only used it as a phantom issue to paint Romney as a bloodless rich guy that screws over the poor Americans. I put the chances of the Buffett rule being implemented at 1/10 and I put it at 2/10 for Obama to make any sort of push on it.

- Immigration: I honestly have no idea what Obama's proposed plan is for immigration. Does he have one? I guess he supports the DREAM act, which is a reasonable piece of legislation but I wish he'd tackle the bigger issue of preventing illegal immigration instead of just dealing with those that are currently here illegally. I give Obama a 5/10 chance of getting anything done here.

- Economy/jobs: He has no idea what he's doing here. Every thing he talks about is a bill or regulation that would create jobs. Is he stupid? Yes, on this issue he is. I doubt the economy takes off anytime soon. He's also not helped much with the European crisis still lingering. I think the unemployment rate will decline, but only ever so slightly and most of that will be because of boomers retiring and leaving the workforce instead of jobs being created over and above what is needed. I give him 2/10 chance of having an economically strong 2nd term.

- Energy/environment: God bless us that the GOP has some clout now with the House. Cap and trade won't happen and neither will Solyndra again, at least not right now. Technology is reshaping this industry and I'm seeing coal continue to go down as an energy source in the US, although we'll probably still ship a lot of it to China. I predict that energy prices stay reasonable due to fracking and natural gas as well as the limping economy and I put the odds at 10/10 that Obama takes credit despite the fact his EPA regulations and war on shale gas are impeding the progress.

- Education: LOL! Tuition costs will still rise fast and nothing will get done.

-Health Care: I think Obamacare will be burdensome and we'll find this out fairly quickly. I imagine it'll be tweaked once people realize that companies are being crushed by the requirements to provide health care and the fact that premiums are so large. The mandate will stay but Obamacare will be chipped at so much that it's not nearly as burdensome as it was originally intended to be. Either that or the whole system goes to pot and we end up with a single-provider. I put the odds at 5/10 that Obamacare is neutered somewhat and 0.005/10 that we get a single payer system anytime soon.

- Equal pay mumbo jumbo: This was a campaign ploy and Obama won't push for it. It's unworkable and the logic behind it is irrational. I give this 0/10 that it ever gets passed and 0/10 that Obama even tries to do anything with it.

- Supreme Court justices: I have no idea so someone else will have to chime in. Suffice it to say that Roe v. Wade is safe.

Comment

Any chance that Obama would reconsider his rejection of Simpson Bowles? I suppose not, but I'd love it if he did. It would be a huge step in the right direction if he wants to leave a lasting, positive legacy, which will depend on how he does fiscally over the next four years.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            Any chance that Obama would reconsider his rejection of Simpson Bowles? I suppose not, but I'd love it if he did. It would be a huge step in the right direction if he wants to leave a lasting, positive legacy, which will depend on how he does fiscally over the next four years.
                            http://professional.wsj.com/article/..._largeHeadline

I hope they can get a grand bargain! Lets see President Obama come to the middle.
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              It more probable in a 2nd term but I doubt he does it. He's no longer afraid of not being reelected so tampering with SS and Medicare (which SB does) won't cost him but it could cost his party. With Florida being a swing state and the number of retirees in Florida being so large I doubt the Dems will do anything to even hint at any cuts or reform to SS and Medicare. This is quite possibly one of the biggest issues facing us and it wouldn't be as big without the electoral college and Florida being a swing state.

Comment

Working...
                              X