Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: I have a bad feeling about this.

It’s now at 60%.

Mother! Had 50%
    Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 12-15-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    It’s now at 60%.

Mother! Had 50%
    There will be a rebound once the fanboys' initial reactions are cycled through. It's not that bad.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    There will be a rebound once the fanboys' initial reactions are cycled through. It's not that bad.
    That's what I was thinking. Just wait until the normal audiences start going with their kids for Christmas.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

If "that" refers to Mother!, then I think that's completely true. It's really hard to be as bad as Mother!. But it sounds like this is a forgettable movie.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

I liked and thought it was fun. The plot was bloated and overly ambitious but it was still compelling.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Spoiler for thoughts:
    It is entertaining, but none of the plot makes any sense. And half the plot was meaningless
    Spoilers don't show on tapatalk, by the way.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Saw the Last Jedi last night. I'm an admitted Star Wars fanboy - as are my wife and kids. Went last night with my wife and 2 of the kids - we all enjoyed it.

It's Star Wars. It's supposed to be mostly fun with a handful of moments now and then that make you think. I'd go again.

Spoilers don't show on tapatalk, by the way.
    oops, sorry

Saw it yesterday. I liked it. Not the best movie and it's kind of slow, but overall it was worth the time and is definitely worthy of SW. Here's some thoughts:

Spoiler for Some Spoilers:
    The good: When R2 played the old Leia clip, I got chills. That was an awersome idea to include. The showdown between Rey/Kylo and the guards was also pretty cool. I thoroughly enjoyed that and it's been a while since I've enjoed a lightsaber fight in a movie. The ending was also great with how Luke did what he did. I figured something was up when he just showed up at hte random base in the middle of nowhere. Very fulfilling ending and a cool way for him to go out.

The bad: The plot was full of holes, but whatever right? I mean, how does Kylo kill Snoke that way after Snoke pretty much controls everything. Kind of dumb how easily Snoke was killed. would have been much better to make it more involved. The movie was also long. Needlessly long. So much could have been cut out and that would have improved the pacing. The Force Awakens was great because the pacing was good and dialogue was always necessary. I'm glad JJ is back doing episode 9.

The ugly: Two big time issues. First, the slapstick humor was way overboard. I get that things are different now than in 1980. The campiness is fine, that's Star Wars. But the dumb humor needs to be cutdown and controlled. Luke flicking stuff off his shoulder after the attack? Seriously? How dumb. Some humor is fine, but this film didn't let the scenes take on the necessary weight of the moment when it most needed it. Take a lesson from Rogue One and add humor, but in the right spots. Second, those dumb furry things. There's no point to them. Cut them out and you save at least 10 minutes. Not only were they useless but they brought back shades of Jar Jar Binks. A stupid thing added to the movie to try and get cheap laughs and sell toys. Ugh.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Spoilers in the spoiler tag...

Spoiler for my short review:
    I didn't love it but didn't hate it. They totally played it safe. If you give some creative people a bunch of money and tell them their goal is to make a movie that fits perfectly within the earlier seven films. ie same plot, same style, same characters, same tension dynamics, same everything. This is what you end up with. I think that translates to "boring" to a lot of fans, and that's why it has a relatively low audience rating. I think a lot of fans thought Force Awakens was a nice, safe reboot, setting up some new characters and new mystery and then the next movies would explore all that. Instead, there wasn't much exploration or adding to the mythology, we just did the same old stuff. I think another issue is that Star Wars geeks love to theorize and speculate. There was intense speculation about who Snoke was and who Rey's parents were. My teenage son got into this speculation and had his own theories, and then when they kind of casually brush aside those without giving satisfying answers, and also don't throw out any new questions for Star Wars fans to speculate on for the next couple years, it kind of kills it for those Star Wars geeks. Also, I heard some random, vague buzz about this film that there would be CRAZY plot twists and reveals. That kind of got me excited. And when none of that happened, it was a bit of a letdown.

It was a fun movie that entertained me. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, I saw that new star trek movie... I think my son enjoyed it far more than I did. By far the best character in the movie was the one that academy award winning Benicio del Toro played. I hope they bring him back for some more.

IMG_0891.JPG

P.S....

Spoiler for Funny:
    I loved the part where that BB robot was bridging a circuit that looked like it was straight out of the 1970's. That made me laugh.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 12-18-2017 at 07:36 AM.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Someone in my brother's ward gave a talk yesterday and used TLJ as an object lesson, apparently telling everybody the entire plot. My brother was pissed.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    Someone in my brother's ward gave a talk yesterday and used TLJ as an object lesson, apparently telling everybody the entire plot. My brother was pissed.
    We too had someone humblebrag about seeing the new Star Wars and tried to weave the theme of the talk into it.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    We too had someone humblebrag about seeing the new Star Wars and tried to weave the theme of the talk into it.
    Apparently, the easiest way to avoid Star Wars spoilers is to skip Sacrament Meeting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Well, that sucked.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

What an asshole!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

I don't get all the sad faces. First off, I think JJ Abrams did a better job establishing tone and building up characters, but Rian didn't need to really do that here- it jumps right in and doesn't stop until the credits roll. I had my couple of hangups or things I would have preferred to not have happened, but that was easily one of the sickest Star Wars movies with some of the best moments in any Star Wars movie. Completely original (in a SW movie) structure, pacing, cinematography, and took turns that just threw a lit match to the viewer's expectations. I would have been pretty content any way it turned out, even if it was boring and predictable, but I couldn't be more delighted that it wasn't the case. The arc with Rey and Luke is easily one of the best and most enjoyable of the series.

There wasn't really a cliffhanger, but it's still anybody's guess where the final episode goes. Now that we know Leia won't be in the next one (RIP Carrie Fisher) we will probably actually get a little bit more Luke, maybe Anakin, etc. in the next installment. There is still quite a bit of ground to cover in IX as far as fleshing out the mysteries of the series that Rian intentionally left for the last installment (Knights of Ren, etc.), so I was left hanging a bit b/c we didn't get caught up too much outside some of the scant details of Kylo Ren turning bad. Everyone wanted some Snoke back story (and what a character Andy Serkis created), but I think that will come later in the form of a book b/c it's frankly not that important to the story at this point.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I don't get all the sad faces. First off, I think JJ Abrams did a better job establishing tone and building up characters, but Rian didn't need to really do that here- it jumps right in and doesn't stop until the credits roll. I had my couple of hangups or things I would have preferred to not have happened, but that was easily one of the sickest Star Wars movies with some of the best moments in any Star Wars movie. Completely original (in a SW movie) structure, pacing, cinematography, and took turns that just threw a lit match to the viewer's expectations. I would have been pretty content any way it turned out, even if it was boring and predictable, but I couldn't be more delighted that it wasn't the case. The arc with Rey and Luke is easily one of the best and most enjoyable of the series.

There wasn't really a cliffhanger, but it's still anybody's guess where the final episode goes. Now that we know Leia won't be in the next one (RIP Carrie Fisher) we will probably actually get a little bit more Luke, maybe Anakin, etc. in the next installment. There is still quite a bit of ground to cover in IX as far as fleshing out the mysteries of the series that Rian intentionally left for the last installment (Knights of Ren, etc.), so I was left hanging a bit b/c we didn't get caught up too much outside some of the scant details of Kylo Ren turning bad. Everyone wanted some Snoke back story (and what a character Andy Serkis created), but I think that will come later in the form of a book b/c it's frankly not that important to the story at this point.
    Good thoughts and fair review. I also have very little issue with the lack of Snoke's backstory, but I think they could have made the Snoke/Ren stuff bigger and better and more involved and cut out some of the other dumb side story stuff.

Now that I've had a couple days to digest it all, I'd probably rank the SW episodes as such:

Really Good

1. Star Wars (yep, I liked it better than ESB)
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. The Force Awakens

Good
    3a. Rogue One (not a real SW episode so it doesn't get an official ranking)
    4. The Last Jedi
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    6. Return of the Jedi (although I still get chills when Vader kills the Emperor)

Yikes, really bad
    7. Phantom Menace
    8. Attack of the Clones
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I don't think Chewbacca would have to cook food like he did with that bird. Seems like they chose to go with laughs with that one instead of taking the movie seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Apparently, the easiest way to avoid Star Wars spoilers is to skip Sacrament Meeting.

also its the easiest way to avoid afterlife spoilers...I try to avoid all spoilers
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

I should put this in the confession thread, but here goes: I actually liked The Phantom Menace.

We'll see The Last Jedi later this week when all the kids are home.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I should put this in the confession thread, but here goes: I actually liked The Phantom Menace.
    OK, you are a commie. We get it!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    6. Return of the Jedi (although I still get chills when Vader kills the Emperor)
    Spoiler alert!

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    OK, you are a commie. We get it!
    Hey, I came for the scintillating parallels between the nascent empire and communism, I stayed for the awesome light saber duel at the end.

Lots of chatter and new theories based on the expansion of the sw universe in this movie. Is Snoke really dead?

The audience score being what it is on RT because of Star Wars fanboys probably isn't accurate. The movie has a number of very strong segments that don't fit together very well. There are also some weak segments that are utterly pointless. I don't even know what the point of some of the characters are.

Without getting into too many spoilers:

Strengths:

1. Very entertaining space battle scenes where the stakes are clearly understood. It's been a long time since that was actually part of a Star Wars movie.

2. The scenes involving Kylo Ren and Rey, and the scenes involving Snoke. One scene in particular is the highlight of the movie.

3. The explanation for Luke's self-banishment or hiding or whatever it is seems plausible.

Weaknesses:

1. Too many endings.

2. A very prequely part in the middle that proves to be of no importance to the overall plot.

3. Aside from Kylo Ren, the development of the other characters is poor. I liked what was revealed about Rey's origins, but there was so much more that could have been done with it.

spoilers below:

The audience score being what it is on RT because of Star Wars fanboys probably isn't accurate. The movie has a number of very strong segments that don't fit together very well. There are also some weak segments that are utterly pointless. I don't even know what the point of some of the characters are.

Strengths:

1. Very entertaining space battle scenes where the stakes are clearly understood. It's been a long time since that was actually part of a Star Wars movie.

2. The scenes involving Kylo Ren and Rey, and the scenes involving Snoke. One scene in particular is the highlight of the movie.

3. The explanation for Luke's self-banishment or hiding or whatever it is seems plausible.

Weaknesses:

1. Too many endings.

2. A very prequely part in the middle that proves to be of no importance to the overall plot.

3. Aside from Kylo Ren, the development of the other characters is poor. I liked what was revealed about Rey's origins, but there was so much more that could have been done with it.
    The best part of the film, by far, for me was the interaction between Rey and Kylo Ren. All those scenes were awesome. I wish there would have been a bit more than that. Would have been better to play that out all through the film, and then make their confrontation at the end of the film not the middle. And also, instead of how it went with Kylo asking her to join him and she flatly rejects him, it would have been cool to let that play out longer, maybe over multiple scenes, with some negotiation. Also, tease out the romantic-sexual tension between the two more. That was by far the best part of the story.

Actually didn't care for it at all. I am a fanboy...so there is that.

And the whole Princess Leia surviving in space...what is this? Guardians of the Galaxy did that better.

Such a horrible movie. I was super bummed walking out of that thing.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

1. Too many endings.

I think the prequel-ish part you're referring to is the Canto Bight scene? I think it had a couple of purposes: 1. It shows the 'scum and villainy' angle from a bit of a different perspective, but also to introduce the character DJ and his agnostic point of view on war, and good vs. evil- which contrasts with Luke's arc. 2. It also leads to another massive failure, which seems to be the undercurrent of the movie and also parallels with Luke's arc.

As for Rey's origins, I don't think we're quite done there. Sure Kylo Ren had his say and maybe it was dead-on, (and would seem to match up with the messaging of the movie, which is that heroes can come from anywhere re: Finn, Rey, Rose) but if that's it I am a little disappointed, even knowing that if her origins were something else it would drastically change the trajectory of the movie to come.