BYU Preseason 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final score?
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
      Final score?
      BYU 90-61 Findlay
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Final score?
        90-61, I believe.
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

I watched most of the game. What I learned is the same thing most of knew for a long time. At a minimum this team will be a solid club that will compete and likely lose out by a game or two to Gonzaga for the WCC Championship. At a maximim this team could compete toe to toe with the Zags, or be slightly better, and win one game in the NCAA tourney.

In my perspective it all will come down to Matty Carlino. Davies will be a very good post player that is likely to demand many double teams. Haws will be a very consistent and reliable perimeter player and the secondary offensive weapon after Davies. I am a bit concerned about Haws' ability to do that throughout the season given his recent return from a mission but one has gotta go with whatchya got. However, for this team to move from a decent 12 seed tier team, about where they were last year, they will need another good offensive player. The only one with that type of potential is Matty Carlino. If he can make good decisions, break down the opponents off the dribble with any consistency and hit unforced but open 3's, this team can be very good. There are other role players we can discuss adnauseum, but in the end these are the only options BYU has to be the engine. Good teams need at least 3 cylanders.

Saying that Matty Carlino played like shit on saturday but I wouldn't put too much stock into it.
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
            I watched most of the game. What I learned is the same thing most of knew for a long time. At a minimum this team will be a solid club that will compete and likely lose out by a game or two to Gonzaga for the WCC Championship. At a maximim this team could compete toe to toe with the Zags, or be slightly better, and win one game in the NCAA tourney.

In my perspective it all will come down to Matty Carlino. Davies will be a very good post player that is likely to demand many double teams. Haws will be a very consistent and reliable perimeter player and the secondary offensive weapon after Davies. I am a bit concerned about Haws' ability to do that throughout the season given his recent return from a mission but one has gotta go with whatchya got. However, for this team to move from a decent 12 seed tier team, about where they were last year, they will need another good offensive player. The only one with that type of potential is Matty Carlino. If he can make good decisions, break down the opponents off the dribble with any consistency and hit unforced but open 3's, this team can be very good. There are other role players we can discuss adnauseum, but in the end these are the only options BYU has to be the engine. Good teams need at least 3 cylanders.

Saying that Matty Carlino played like shit on saturday but I wouldn't put too much stock into it.
            Anson's in a boot, and they're worried it might not come off for a month. Our four best guards are Carlino, Cusick, Zylstra, and Haws. Delgado's not ready. Athleticism has always been a weakness, but that's the least athletic group I've seen since the Reid era. I'm downgrading my expectation a little. Last in the NCAA is about what I'm looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              Anson's in a boot, and they're worried it might not come off for a month. Our four best guards are Carlino, Cusick, Zylstra, and Haws. Delgado's not ready. Athleticism has always been a weakness, but that's the least athletic group I've seen since the Reid era. I'm downgrading my expectation a little. Last in the NCAA is about what I'm looking at.
              Winder will help that much is true. We shall see how it develops. They are as athletic or moreso than BYU was in 2007, 2008 or perhaps 2009. I would not count out Delgado quite yet either. When the dust settles and BYU gets to March my prediction is either Delgado or Winder will be the starter at the 2. If that is not the case you might be more right than me, but I am an eternal optimist!

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Winder will help that much is true. We shall see how it develops. They are as athletic or moreso than BYU was in 2007, 2008 or perhaps 2009. I would not count out Delgado quite yet either. When the dust settles and BYU gets to March my prediction is either Delgado or Winder will be the starter at the 2. If that is not the case you might be more right than me, but I am an eternal optimist!
                I also think Calvert can help. I am not sure how many minutes he'll get but I think he can certainly fill in Winder's role until he's healthy. I have been really surprised and encouraged by his play. I thought he was just a chucker with range, but he has a pretty nice handle and has ran the point pretty well this preseason.

Also, I think Haws will be okay. He came home the end of April so he's had lots of time to condition.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  I also think Calvert can help. I am not sure how many minutes he'll get but I think he can certainly fill in Winder's role until he's healthy. I have been really surprised and encouraged by his play. I thought he was just a chucker with range, but he has a pretty nice handle and has ran the point pretty well this preseason.

Also, I think Haws will be okay. He came home the end of April so he's had lots of time to condition.
                  I think Calvert will get minutes as the backup PG. Cusick is getting more minutes right now than he will in February and March as Delgado gets comfy and Winder returns back to the fold. When the dust settles I think the perimeter positions will be such:

Starters: Carlino, Winder/Delgado (depends upon which happens faster Delgado reaching comfy or Winder getting healthy), Haws

Of the bench: Winder/Delgado, Calvert, Zylstra, Cusick.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I think Calvert will get minutes as the backup PG. Cusick is getting more minutes right now than he will in February and March as Delgado gets comfy and Winder returns back to the fold. When the dust settles I think the perimeter positions will be such:

Starters: Carlino, Winder/Delgado (depends upon which happens faster Delgado reaching comfy or Winder getting healthy), Haws

Of the bench: Winder/Delgado, Calvert, Zylstra, Cusick.
                    Bronco Rose trusts Cusick. He's gutsy and has a never say die attitude.
                    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Bronco Rose trusts Cusick. He's gutsy and has a never say die attitude.
                      I'm not big on Cusick, but I'm not seeing what Calvert provides that's anything different.

Comment

I'm not big on Cusick, but I'm not seeing what Calvert provides that's anything different.
                        I was impressed with Calvert in the first exhibition but I'm not sure he adds anything different than Cusick either. Cusick is a guy that seems to have the ear of the other players when he's out there though and he has a decent TO ratio. Not prone to mistakes nor does he initiate great plays. A solid if not unspectacular backup.

Comment

...Saying that Matty Carlino played like shit on saturday but I wouldn't put too much stock into it.
                          I hope it was an early anomaly but I was really disappointed in how poorly he played. Lots of out-of-control passes and ill-advised shots. Even worse, as his hair begins to grow back in I'm seeing signs of male pattern baldness and am reminded of this tragic scene.

[YOUTUBE]8cTkTEpEYfk&noredirect=1[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Rose said today that Winder is out of his boot, has practiced the past two days, but his ankle is still sore.

Comment

Working...
                            X