Rumors of 19 year old females going on missions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

statman with the quad post. Boom!
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      One interesting caveat is that sister missionaries are typically the worst when it comes to issues. I know a mission president that stated that sisters made up 20% of the missionaries but he spent 80% of his time on sister missionary related issues. I do wonder if this change will flip this stigma so that the perception of sisters is equal with that of elders. I think it will as you'll see more "normal" (meaning psychologically sound and physically able) sisters going on missions instead of getting hitched at 19-20.
      My MP told a returning-to-the-world ZL that if he could've had his way he would have not had any sisters in the mission - they were either problem-laden (weight/image issues, depression problems, other health problems, etc, etc, etc) and took way too much time to attend to (one sister averaged ~2 MP blessings per week!) or they were pretty, righteous and perfect and elders flocked around them and caused another set of problems. It was a rare sister missionary that ddin't cause one problem or the other.

I can't imagine how tough it will be for a MP right now. Except that they'll probably get a more 'average' slice of sister missionaries - not so many of the ones with problems and not so many of the perfect ones. The bulk will be in the middle somewhere and not as problematic. But it's still going to be a logistical nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        I doubt that's going to happen, because when you get right down to it, there is no edict that "Every worthy young woman [must] serve a mission".
        You didn't listen to Elder Holland's talk very closely, did you? The whole Peter "If you love me..." talk, and his reference to everyone who was affected by the changes announced on Saturday.

Women still don't have the priesthood obligation that men do, but "if ye love me..." can really only mean one thing...

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          Right. For all the attention this is getting, it changes very little in regard to the boys.
          I'm wondering how it will affect my two sons who are home and going to school. It still seems to be really nice for a single RM's up on campus but this could even out the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
            You didn't listen to Elder Holland's talk very closely, did you? The whole Peter "If you love me..." talk, and his reference to everyone who was affected by the changes announced on Saturday.

Women still don't have the priesthood obligation that men do, but "if ye love me..." can really only mean one thing...
            That's all well and good, but the fact remains that one gender has a oft-repeated edict to serve a mission and the other doesn't. Reading between the lines of Elder Holland's talk just doesn't meet that standard.
            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

That's all well and good, but the fact remains that one gender has a oft-repeated edict to serve a mission and the other doesn't. Reading between the lines of Elder Holland's talk just doesn't meet that standard.

In 10 years, number of sisters will be about equal to elders. In 50 years, we will look back at how barbaric it was that sisters weren't equally involved in missionary work.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                In 10 years, number of sisters will be about equal to elders. In 50 years, we will look back at how barbaric it was that sisters weren't equally involved in missionary work.
                Hell, in 50 years we might let them baptize!

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                  In 50 years, they will go back to calling husbands, who will have to leave their career and multiple wives behind to look after the homestead. The church will increase their food storage requirement to 3 years.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

In 50 years, they will go back to calling husbands, who will have to leave their career and multiple wives behind to look after the homestead. The church will increase their food storage requirement to 3 years.
                    And BYU will still be hoping for an invite into the Big 12.

Comment

This thread has turned very sexist.
                      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post

I've been wondering about something. Are the callings of District Leader, Zone Leader and AP all priesthood callings? Obviously that is how they are run at this point, but is there any doctrinal backing saying they have to be staffed by Elders instead of Sisters?

If the Church comes out and says there is no such requirement and allows Sisters to be DL's, ZL's and AP's I predict women will get the priesthood within my lifetime.
                        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          Nope. 10 years is way too optimistic. Maybe in 50 when they have the priesthood.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post

I've been wondering about something. Are the callings of District Leader, Zone Leader and AP all priesthood callings? Obviously that is how they are run at this point, but is there any doctrinal backing saying they have to be staffed by Elders instead of Sisters?

If the Church comes out and says there is no such requirement and allows Sisters to be DL's, ZL's and AP's I predict women will get the priesthood within my lifetime.
                            I know my wife was called as a Sister AP though we didn't call them that. She and her companion traveled the mission the same way the Elder APs did to split with all the different sister missionaries in their areas.
                            "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                              I know my wife was called as a Sister AP though we didn't call them that. She and her companion traveled the mission the same way the Elder APs did to split with all the different sister missionaries in their areas.
                              My wife did the exact same thing in her mission.*

*side note: This is how I know that the oft heard "the harder you work on your mission the better looking you spouse will be" is not true, because my wife ended up with me .
                              "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                                We had these also. They were called Travelling Sisters.

Comment

Working...
                                X